Latest post Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:32 PM by BLKDOG. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:47 PM

Educational License to MC V5?

I hate to gripe right out of the gate but it is impossible to navigate Avid's support site. It is so convoluted. I can't get the crap off the top either. I tried using the MS Word paste function but it's still there.

I bought the educational version of MC 4.02 last year. I'd like to upgrade to version 5. This is a perfect question I'd like to be able to find myself. I could not so I'm asking here. How do I go about obtaining/downloading version 5 and installing it? Do I need to uninstall the version 4.02 I currently have on my system?

The following is what the support page shows. I don't have any of these. Supposedly I have a 4 years worth of upgrades but I don't see how to upgrade.

How to obtain the software:

Please choose from one of the options below based on your situation:

1. You have a valid Avid Support contract. Media Composer v5.0, Avid Symphony v5.0, and Avid NewsCutter v9.0 software is available to Avid Support customers at no additional charge. Software upgrades are a feature of Avid Assurance contracts. The software can be obtained by logging into the Electronic Download Center.
    2. You do not have an Avid Support contract and you are on pre v5.0/v9.0 software. You can either:
      • Purchase an Avid Assurance contract or you can purchase a Media Composer v5.0 upgrade from the Avid online webstore (Avid Media Composer Software upgrades only), or
      • Purchase a Symphony v5.0 or NewsCutter v5.0 upgrade from your local reseller (all products)
      • Purchase a Symphony v5.0 or NewsCutter v9.0 upgrade from Avid directly.

Thanks

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:11 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,736
    • Points 227,785
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Educational Liscense to MC V5?

Hi Rastus,

Try this link:

http://www.avid.com/us/support/upgrade-academic-free

That should get you where you want to go.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:12 PM In reply to

I think I figured it out through the download area. Will the educational liscense automatically apply to version 5 or do I need to do something specific during install?

Thanks

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:13 PM In reply to

Posted again before I saw your reply BLKDOG. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:21 PM In reply to

I hate to keep posting but where would I find my "PC System ID"?

Thanks

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:28 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,736
    • Points 227,785
    • Avid Employee

You'll find it on a sticker that came with your Original software install disks

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,736
    • Points 227,785
    • Avid Employee

If you don't have that, there is a GetLicense Info utility that gets insatlled with your Avid software. Run that and it will show you your system ID.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller