Latest post Wed, May 13 2009 1:11 AM by general_failure. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 9 2009 7:15 PM

• tyrani
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Consolidate option on MC2.7 separating audio and video

Hi,

This is the second time this has happened. Please help me!

I consolidated my media associated with my sequences from my laptop hard drive to an external drive.
    I find that the media has been separated into an audio files and video files. So my sequences are without any audio !!??!!
    And all of the other master clips that I moved from the laptop to the external drive are separated into separated audio and video files.

I checked the box that said "Video and audio on the same drive(s).

I also checked the box that says "Skip media files already on the target drive"

I did NOT check any of the audio options (Convert Audio Sample Rate, Convert Audio Sample Bit Depth, Convert Audio Format). Is that the problem??

I deleted the original media because I needed to clear out space on my laptop.
    Why did this happen? Do I have any easier option than to re-log all my tapes? I have used the consolidate option before without a problem.

ANY HELP WITH BE MOST MOST VALUABLE!
    Thanks a lot!

MediaComposer 2.7 on Mac OSX 10.4.11

• Mon, May 11 2009 1:49 AM In reply to

Re: Consolidate option on MC2.7 separating audio and video

Hi,

tyrani:
    I deleted the original media because I needed to clear out space on my laptop.

The lesson you have learned today is always double-check if everything got consolidated before deleting original media files. You can do this by closing the MC application, then re-naming your "Avid MediaFiles" directory on your internal disk temporarily (e.g. to "Avid MediaFiles_ORIGINAL"), restarting MC with the new/external harddrive attached and check your timeline (timeliene hamburger -> clip color -> offline). Do not forget to rename your "Avid MediaFiles" folder on your internal disk back to its original name!

tyrani:
    Do I have any easier option than to re-log all my tapes?

Maybe:

tyrani:
    I also checked the box that says "Skip media files already on the target drive"

I think that may have been your pit trap. I would try to delete the media databases on your external drive (inside your "Avid MediaFiles"/"OMFI MediaFiles" folder there are two files, starting with msm...) and hope that your audio comes online again.

tyrani:
    I find that the media has been separated into an audio files and video files.

This is the normal behaviour of MC: it will create one mediafile for each track of each clip and even of each effect or dissolve once they are rendered! Keep this in mind, always.

Hope that helps, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 11 2009 1:51 AM In reply to

Now I see you are on 2.7: replace "Avid MediaFiles" in my last post with "OMFI MediaFiles"! 

g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 11 2009 2:32 AM In reply to

2.7 handles both OMF and MXF file formats.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, May 11 2009 1:11 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    2.7 handles both OMF and MXF file formats.

Acknowledged. I could not remember when MXF was introduced, I thought it was about 2.8.x.

In that case, tyrani, you should check if there are two media files folders ("Avid MediaFiles" and "OMFI MediaFiles") on your external disk. In both of them lives a database, the two filenames of them starting with "msm...". You should delete them in both folders and let MC recreate them at MC startup (happens automatically).

Regards, g_f

• Mon, May 11 2009 2:44 PM In reply to

• tyrani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Hi again,

Thanks for all your replies.

I don't have two folders -- just one. Here is the folder hierarchy:

Avid MediaFiles --> MXF --> 1 -->  ***.mxf

So there aren't any *.msm files in the Avid MediaFiles folder. There is a *.pmr file and a *.mdb file.

I re-checked that my version is MC v2.7. I must also add that some of this footage was imported from Windows MovieMaker (by creating an AVI file with MovieMaker and then importing it into Avid) because I did not have access to a professional DEC at that time. I don't know if that is relevant information or not.

But now that I don't have a *.msm file, do I have any other option?

Thanks,

• Mon, May 11 2009 2:49 PM In reply to

MSM is the file "type" - MSM Media Database. It is not an extension. The two files you found, .pmr and .mdb are the database files to delete.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, May 11 2009 3:52 PM In reply to

• tyrani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Thanks Larry. Here is what I did and it seems to have worked. But I do need to understand where I went wrong so I can avoid it in the future.

1. I have two external disks (DiskORIG, DiskNEW) as well as my laptop internal (intDRIVE) disk.

2. For reasons too long to list here, I had duplicate media on DiskORIG as well as on intDRIVE.

3. I consolidated media from DiskORIG and intDrive onto DiskNEW. I deleted media on intDrive (to clear space) but left the duplicate media onto DiskOrig.

4. After consolidation, the sequences had NO audio!

5. I followed your suggestion and deleted the MSM files from diskNEW but not from diskORIG.

6. The sequences gave this message "Media Offline".

7. I connected diskORIG as well as diskNEW to Avid and VOILA!!! It all works.

So what went wrong? How can I (successfully) copy all media from diskORIG to diskNEW so that when I travel in 7 days, I only need to take my diskNEW with me.

Thank you so very much for your help,

--Bijoyini

• Mon, May 11 2009 4:16 PM In reply to

Tyrani:

When you copy media the way you did, you should then highlight the sequence and use the relink function targeting ONLY the "diskNEW" drive.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 12 2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• tyrani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Hi again,

It still does not seem to work after the relink. The audio still does not work for some of the clips.

Could it be because I logged the footage using Microsoft Moviemaker and the timecode was not preserved?

Thanks a lot for your help,

• Tue, May 12 2009 6:37 PM In reply to

tyrani:
    ...and the timecode was not preserved?

Bingo. If there is no time code relationship with the clip's footage, relinking will not work.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, May 13 2009 1:11 AM In reply to

tyrani:
    so that when I travel in 7 days, I only need to take my diskNEW with me.

Now, with the two disks attached to your system, make a copy of your sequence. Make a new bin, call it "Sequence_CONSOLIDATE" and drag the copy of your master sequence to that bin. Right click on the sequence, choose "Cosolidate/Transcode", then do a consolidate (for diskspace reasons you may want to check that "Skip media already on target drive" is enabled) to "diskNEW". Also enable "make new sequence", you can find it by the ".consolidated" suffix. Then double-check that with only diskNEW attached to your system your whole sequence(.consolidated) is online. You are ready to pack your suitcase. Wink

Regards, g_f 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller