Latest post Mon, May 4 2009 9:26 PM by olivarfilm. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 2 2009 1:07 AM

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 1 2009
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

AVID MC COMPOSER HELP REQUEST FROM MOROCCO

Hello,

I am new to this post and I was hoping to get a little help... here it is:

When I booted up this morning the avid scanned the raid drive and stopped at 49%. I tried everything you can imagine such as,

Deleting the database files,

Repairing drive permissions,

Rescanning drives.

Then I booted up bypassing the raid drive and the last sequence I worked on had sound and picture. But no source clips. I do match frame and no source clips whatsoever, anywhere, no matter where I look!!!

I just finished this feature film and the thing crashes on me now I've had for two years!!! Should I replace the raid drive, reinstall avid? What should I do. Please help!!!

MAC DUAL CORE INTEL AVID MEDIA COMPOSER SOFTWARE+MOJO [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 2 2009 1:20 AM In reply to

Re: AVID MC COMPOSER HELP REQUEST FROM MOROCCO

Welcome to the forum.  Please open up your profile, in the upper right-hand corner, and fill in your complete system specs.  It may be helpful moving forward.

"... had sound and picture. But no source clips ..."

Can you clarify that?  It's seems a little contradictory.  When the drives scanned & indexed (after deleting the databases) did it complete normally, with no errors?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:25 AM In reply to

Thanks for the kind email, I wanted to respond to it here so others can help as well.

Randall has you on the right track. Usually when a database rebuild freezes it's due to file corruption issues. As Randall asks, what error message if any did you get? If you open the console window from the tools pulldown, do you find a report there?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:30 AM In reply to

olivarfilm:

Then I booted up bypassing the raid drive and the last sequence I worked on had sound and picture. But no source clips. I do match frame and no source clips whatsoever, anywhere, no matter where I look!!!

So the media for that sequence is on a different drive that doesn't have corruption issues. When you say you can't match frame back to the source, I would suspect you are looking at rendered effects pre-compute files made from master clips that are media offline.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:34 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Hi Randall,

Thanks so much for responding. i can't seem to locate my profile. i must be really tired from a full 12hours of trying to get the machine to edit... :) 

I have a mac dual core system is mac os x tiger and the avid sofware version is 2.7.

the drive scan on the Raid drive does not complete normally. it freezes at exactly 49% (after a very slow scan) then generates a error message with three options, continue, return to finder and somehting else i don't remmebrt because I' not in front of the machine. 

MAC DUAL CORE INTEL AVID MEDIA COMPOSER SOFTWARE+MOJO [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 2 2009 1:40 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Hi Larry thank you so much for responding. i would imagine the sequence is on the avid system drive but I can't say for sure... because I am not the editor of the movie. he left for another job and I'm faced with the task of trying to get tbis thing to work. so i'm not bery good techinaally,. i can edit okay and I know some avid basics but that's about it. okay the main problem seems to be scaning the raid drive. it always stops at 49% then generates a white window with three options. so I quit, launch again and same thing. now when the raid drive is not on, i can open avid and i see the last sequence I  worked on. it's all there. but no files...

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:41 AM In reply to

Are the media files in OMFI MediaFiles or Avid MediaFiles\MXF\# where # = a numbered folder?

How many files are in that folder?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:43 AM In reply to

"... then generates a white window with three options ..."

And these are:

1)

2)

3)

"... i can't seem to locate my profile ..."

Meanwhile, if you click on your name, in the upper right-hand corner, that will take you into your account information, and you can update your system profile there.

(wwld)

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:46 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

randall the media files are in avid Mediafiles/Mxf/1

I'm not sure how many files but never had that problem in 2 years owning that machine...

• Sat, May 2 2009 1:57 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Randall I updated my profile. when I go to the office tomorrow I'l get the exact specs and update again. you asked me what were the three options in the error window. I only rememebr 2

1) go to finder

2) continue

3) Cancel???

could it be the drive. i ran a check and repair with disk utility and it was all fine. but I read somewhere on the forum that when you delete the database files and it doesn't work, then it may be the drive. is that correct/valid?

thank you...

• Sat, May 2 2009 2:09 AM In reply to

Jerome:

Usually when the database scan is interrupted, you get a window flagging a particular file by name, and choices that include "quarantine" "ignore" "ignore all", etc. When you delete database files, the system will always detect the missing files and build new ones when you re-launch the application at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. So effectively, you'll never be working without a database.

And if you do have media files on the system drive, you should relocate them to a different drive immediately. The system drive has enough work to do just running and managing the application, let alone be additionally tasked with accurate storage, retrieval, cueing and seamless playback in real time. It's an issue of over-taxing the system drive that will cause you significant performance and response time problems.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 2 2009 2:32 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Larry,

I do not get the typical error message as you mentionned with quarantine, ignore, ignore all. I  get a different one, with continue, go to finder, cancel... when I press cancel i can generate an error report. question larry, do you think it may be a drive problem or simply a corrupt file problem? 

• Sat, May 2 2009 3:26 AM In reply to

Recommend you create a new test project and attempt to capture and import media to the suspect RAIDs and we'll go from there. Let's see what kind of results you get.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, May 3 2009 1:44 AM In reply to

• olivarfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Casablanca Morocco
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Hi Larry,

i managed to get the system to work. the problem was three corrupt files in my raid folder. What I did is first trash the most recent files, and then the scan was successful. then i began putting them back until it eventually gave me the quaratine file message, so I quaratined the courruopt files and the machine got back to almost mormal. so now all of the offline files are files on which they were effects liek flop, dissolves etc... i wonder why the raid drive didn't like those files and saw them as corrupt. quesiton: where I the quarantine files on the avid?

thanks for your continuing helP!!!

• Sun, May 3 2009 2:18 AM In reply to

You're quite welcome. I figured it was going to be corrupted files. And I wish I had an answer to the question "Why does a file get corrupted?" If I knew that one, I probably could live independently wealthy for the rest of my life.Wink

Regarding quarantines, if you look in the media drive folder(s) you'll find a quarantine folder in there. Not at my Avid right now, so I forget exactly where in the structure it is, but it's in there.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller