Latest post Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:17 AM by Bill Nelson. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 6:41 PM

• paco.o1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 28 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Will Avid Media Composer play nice with others?

I want to install Avid Media composer on the same HD which hosts my FCP and Adobe CS4.

CS4 and FCP play nice together on my new Macbook Pro.

Are there any installation or application issues when I add Avid Media Composer to the plaground??

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 6:43 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Will Avid Media Composer play nice with others?

I've certainly had it installed alongside FCP without any obvious issues, don't see why the same wouldn't be true of CS4.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 7:37 PM In reply to

• fansfare
    • Not Ranked
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,160

I have it installed alongside FCP studio2 but you have to be careful with the Quicktime version and OSX version. 

Just keep an eye on the requirements for Media Composer - 

I believe 3.1.2 requires:

OSX- 10.5.5

QT- 7.5.5

but FCP 2 wants 10.5.6 and QT 7.6.  Both unqualified for Avid (which doesn't mean completely non functioning) Just keep an eye on the requirements.  I'd say it affects your hardware more then the software - but Quicktime can wreak havoc...

It's just that so many apple updates and quicktime updates fly around - you just have to be cognizant of it all..

On top of that, a lot of people insist on making a separate boot drive for their avid... just in case...  

MC 7, MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.9.1, Lacie 2big 6TB, QT 10.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 3:05 AM In reply to

• paco.o1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thank you for you help.

I'll post the results on this forum

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 3:06 AM In reply to

• paco.o1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate the detail.

I'l post the results in this forum.

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 1:36 PM In reply to

I would agree with Installing Avid on another Drive or partition.  As far as Avid goes with CS4... you should be good. I have Avid running my PC with CS3 and never had a problem.

I am however doing the same right now, As in installing Avid on one Drive and FCP on another. I plan to install FCP Studio on the same drive as Avid. So I can use DVD Studio Pro and Soundtrack Pro, Color and Compressor.  In other words I am mimicking my main installation but just leaving FCP out

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 1:45 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,353
    • Points 29,330
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

This is a good thread on the topic: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/63976.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Feb 26 2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• Avid 99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,555

I not only have both installed, I sometimes have both launched at the same time.  Only one of them can be playing at any given time, of course.

Look on the Automatic Duck web site, and you'll see Wes demo-ing his Avid to FCP converter, and he switches between applications with both running also.

And the advice to keep an eye on OS and QT is important.  Some FCP upgrades can require OS & QT that's not yet compatible with Avid, who used to lag by a year or more.  But that gap seems to be diminishing of late.

MBP 17" - 1x2 2.66 - 4G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - MC 6.0.3 ///// MacPro3,1 - 2x4 3GHz - 32G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - ATTO R680 SAS RAID5 (8x2TB) - MC 6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:17 AM In reply to

I've installed and run CS4 Production Extended suite (which includes Premiere), Avid, and FCP on the same partition.  They all blaze along, and are fully set to go.  I've never used Premiere for business, but it came with the suite.  Use FCP 8-10% of the time I need video apps, and Avid all the time. 

There you have it.

2 systems: Mobile: 16-inch Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core i9 w/64 gig RAM, 2TB SSD, OS 10.15.3 running MC 2020 Beta Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller