Latest post Thu, Jun 24 2021 6:58 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 24 2021 3:36 AM

Workflow to make SDR H264 exports from HDR timeline?

Gidday gang,

We are having a grand old time cutting in beautiful Rec2020/PQ HDR 4K. Works great. Our finishing workflow heads offsite to a Resolve based grade, which is also working fine.

But during the course of cutting we also need to be able to output ungraded wee H264 MOVs for client approvals etc. These will be reviewed using VLC typically, usually on non-HDR capable PCs. Obviously if we just do this off the timeline the colourspace goes pear-shaped and we get milky low-contrast looking imagery.

I understand that this has grown more sophisticated in the latest versions, but we are stuck for now at 2020.6.

What is the best, simplest way to output an SDR-corrected review output?

THANKS ALL!

Tony

2x MC 2020.6 Windows 10 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (works great!) Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo Nvidia Quadro P4000 64gb DDR4 RAM 1TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Jun 24 2021 6:58 AM In reply to

Re: Workflow to make SDR H264 exports from HDR timeline?

I'd create a LUT to compress the highlights back down to SDR levels. And then apply that to the whole timeline.

This won't be perfect you'd need to grade that if you wanted to get a reasonable SDR output but it maybe for review. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller