Latest post Thu, Jul 8 2021 4:37 PM by davidemasi. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 22 2021 1:51 PM

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 5 2019
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

Could someone share with us any news about M1 support, please?

I don't ask for a date I'd just like to know if something is going to happen in that way. 3 months ago they told me "Rosetta first half of 2021" but 2021.6 came out and no Rosetta support. I don't want to start any argument. I'm just looking for answers.

PS: Please don't share the BigSur support document because it is update to MC 2020.12, so you know...

• Tue, Jun 22 2021 2:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,405
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Could someone share with us any news about M1 support, please?

Good question David......

Let me ask Dave Colanuoni who posted the initial info on Facebook and see what if anything has changed.  

marianna

-------------

The current company statement is as follows:

Starting on June 7th, Apple unveiled several technology advancements during its annual WWDC21 eventWe’re excited that these introductions will ultimately increase the productivity of film, TV and music creatorsincluding the global community using Avid’s creative tools, platforms and solutions.  

Our software has run on Apple products since our company’s founding over 30 years ago and today the majority of Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius users choose to work on MacAvid continues to collaborate closely with Apple to meet the high standards of our users’ demanding workflows and keep them on the leading edge by supporting Apple’s ongoing software and hardware releases, including Rosetta, M1M2/TBA and future silicon introductions For example, an upcoming Pro Tools release will support M1 systems via Rosetta, along with our Pro Tools | Carbon audio production system. 

We look forward to providing details of Avid’s related developments and resulting product releases in the near future. In the meantime, our user community can stay current through Avid knowledge base articles about our work with Apple. 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 22 2021 3:13 PM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

Marianna:

Let me ask Dave Colanuoni who posted the initial info on Facebook and see what if anything has changed.  

marianna

-------------

Starting on June 7th, Apple unveiled several technology advancements during its annual WWDC21 eventWe’re excited that these introductions will ultimately increase the productivity of film, TV and music creatorsincluding the global community using Avid’s creative tools, platforms and solutions.  

Our software has run on Apple products since our company’s founding over 30 years ago and today the majority of Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius users choose to work on MacAvid continues to collaborate closely with Apple to meet the high standards of our users’ demanding workflows and keep them on the leading edge by supporting Apple’s ongoing software and hardware releases, including Rosetta, M1M2/TBA and future silicon introductions For example, an upcoming Pro Tools release will support M1 systems via Rosetta, along with our Pro Tools | Carbon audio production system. 

We look forward to providing details of Avid’s related developments and resulting product releases in the near future. In the meantime, our user community can stay current through Avid knowledge base articles about our work with Apple. 

thank you Marianna. Really appreciate your help

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:06 PM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

Marianna:

marianna

-------------

Any news from Dave?

thanks again, Marianna

• Thu, Jun 24 2021 6:51 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 414
    • Points 4,950

with the release of ProTools 2021.6 including M1 support, hopefully that means Media Composer M1 support is coming soon. however, we also need updated compatibility for mediacentral macos clients. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Fri, Jun 25 2021 10:08 PM In reply to

• theHFIC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 4 2021
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Finally got this (unofficially) from my Avid rep: Avid has no clue what they are doing on Mac moving forward.  They spent the past 4-5 years rewriting so much of Media Composer to act sort of reasonably on x64/x86 modern hardware and OSes after Premiere blasted ahead of them out of nowhere.  They are thrown for a loop at the thought of having to redo all that work again just for the segment of ARM Macs which won't hit critical mass for another couple years.  it isn't just hitting a recompile button  Rosetta support if lucky by year's end but then the release of Monterey will throw the OS compatilibty for a loop again not to mention the phasing out of Rosetta in 3-4 years.  Plan to either move hardware platforms if you want to stick with Avid or editing clients if you want to stick with Mac past the Intel era.

Shame on Avid for posting the "info" about their Mac plans on Facebook only.  My grandparents now know Avid's 1/2 stance on Mac's future but I am still in the dark.

• Sat, Jun 26 2021 10:35 AM In reply to

• theHFIC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 4 2021
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

theHFIC:

Finally got this (unofficially) from my Avid rep: Avid has no clue what they are doing on Mac moving forward.  They spent the past 4-5 years rewriting so much of Media Composer to act sort of reasonably on x64/x86 modern hardware and OSes after Premiere blasted ahead of them out of nowhere.  They are thrown for a loop at the thought of having to redo all that work again just for the segment of ARM Macs which won't hit critical mass for another couple years.  it isn't just hitting a recompile button  Rosetta support if lucky by year's end but then the release of Monterey will throw the OS compatilibty for a loop again not to mention the phasing out of Rosetta in 3-4 years.  Plan to either move hardware platforms if you want to stick with Avid or editing clients if you want to stick with Mac past the Intel era.

Shame on Avid for posting the "info" about their Mac plans on Facebook only.  My grandparents now know Avid's 1/2 stance on Mac's future but I am still in the dark.

I'm sorry I let my annoyance get the best of me and left a mixed message with this post. My rep is a vendor and not someone within the company and their statement was for just moving platforms if we wanted to continue with Avid or switching clients if we wanted to stay with Mac. I put it the decision in a vote with our editors and I am officially done worrying about what Avid is or isn't going to do. Best wishes!

• Sat, Jun 26 2021 2:27 PM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

I don't know. I would wait Marianna's answer. There have been enough speculations

• Thu, Jul 8 2021 4:37 PM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

Marianna:

marianna

-------------

If you're reading me, did you get an update? I'm seriously think about a new intel machine at this point.

• Thu, Jul 8 2021 4:37 PM In reply to

• davidemasi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,090

Marianna:

marianna

-------------

If you're reading me, did you get an update? I'm seriously think about a new intel machine at this point.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller