Latest post Fri, Mar 1 2019 6:29 PM by Zak Ray. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 1 2019 1:53 AM

Reference CODEC Comparison Table

These 21 codecs are avaialble as options for importing/transcoding into Avid MC (2018.12.1).

i found a tremendous amount if information about some of these (and an even larger number of opinions about them)...but

Do you know of a good reference table where I can see the more commonly discussed specs of all (or most of) the CODEC's below (e.g. bit rate, Chroma 422 or 420, and all the parameters that most MC users often want to know)

i9-9980XE; Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II; 128GB DRAM4; Nvidia Titan RTX; SSD 2TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:06 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,801
    • Points 48,785
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Reference CODEC Comparison Table

DNxHR (Avid whitepaper)

DNxHD (wiki); DNxHD (Avid PDF)

DNxUncompressed is precisely what it says. No compression, high bandwidth. HD @ 60P using 4:2:2 is just under 2000 Mbps (or just under 200MBs).

MXF 1:1 is 8-bit uncompressed Interlaced. MXF 1:1P is 8-bit Progressive. There are also 10-bit (as shown in your chart) and 12-bit versions available. Uncompressed is very high bandwidth (HD 4:2:0 is something like 120 - 150MBs). 12-bit is going to be something like 300MBs on up.

AVC Intra and AVC Long (PDF, chart on page 4)

XDCAM (wiki)

H.264 (wiki; everything you don't want to know and should be afraid to ask about)

I don't have a good reference for J2K as it never really caught on. It's basically a better version of JPEG, but with it's own set of issues.

AFAIK, there is no single chart that describes every format with the pros and cons. If you'd like to concatenate the charts from the links above and publish it somewhere, that would be a start.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Mar 1 2019 6:29 PM In reply to

• Zak Ray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 28 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 280

Re: Reference CODEC Comparison Table

If you have an iPhone, check out the Cameras + Formats app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cameras-formats/id890528993?mt=8

It's not quite "pros and cons" but it does have all the specs like bit depth, chroma sampling, etc along with a data rate calculator.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller