Latest post Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:02 PM by TCurren. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:31 PM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Re: New to Symphony

Cheers. My boards seem to be working fine, but I've not used them on a real job yet, which is always when these things misbehave!

HP 8710W 4 Gig Ram. M.C. 6.0.5. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:45 PM In reply to

• Indifilmz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 19
    • Points 285

hello hello,

seeing as this thread was written in February this year I figure I may be able to get some advice for you guys - I am in the similar boat to some of you, wanting to move my Nitris boards from xw8200 to xw8400... Now did you guys find out the fan assembly number and/or where to get it? I tried my local (australia) avid re-sellers, but got told a plain old 'no' to even looking into it...

I am contemplating modifying the one from xw8200 but would much prefer to buy a proper fan assembly from avid ;)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Avid Symphony v4 & DS 10.3.1 running dual boot on xw8400 x5355 @ 2.66GHz HP workstation with Nitris Classic DNA BOB. Workstation has 8GB of RAM and... [view my complete system specs]

Regards, Lav Bodnaruk http://www.lavproductions.com

• Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:32 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

I'm betting they don't have them anymore as both the computer and the Classic Nitris are dead in Avid's eyes.

I have a couple of the fan assemblies now as I upgraded to Nitris DX, but I doubt shipping to Australia would be worth it to you.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:51 PM In reply to

I would have the original fan modified. It is easier, cheaper and faster that way.

MC 2021.3, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:19 PM In reply to

I have one that I can part with. But I'm in Amsterdam...

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:37 PM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Hi Job,

I'm in the UK and would be willing to take it off your hands.

email me on adam.giles@

Cheers

Adam

HP 8710W 4 Gig Ram. M.C. 6.0.5. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:48 PM In reply to

I'll email you. If I were you, I'd edit out your email address here. Spambots will instantly find it...

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 10 2010 5:01 AM In reply to

• Indifilmz
    • Not Ranked
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 19
    • Points 285

[:'(] i got beaten by someone to get the fan assembly of you Job :( 

Yes, i am in Australia and would pay for shipping from either Amsterdam, UK or US to get a FAN Assembly for xw8400. Right now, I just jammed the xw8200 fan assembly into the workstation - ugly job... but seems to be working ok for time being. My problem is that I am a bit hesitante to even leave the machine unattended to make coffee, fearing it may set alight! Hence why I would love to get a proper assembly fan to put into xw8400

Also guys, speaking of Nitris Classic boards in xw8400 to fit them into the PCIx slots (5 & 6) as per Avid requirements, how did you get around the SATA ports? I had to remove the plastic bracket on the bottom Nitris board so that the blue SATA port can still be used. The black little plastic bracket (which holds onto the other side of the PCix mount (the part you slide it into) is there to make the card firmly fixed in the slot... without it, its not terribly shaky (if anything, it feels as sturdy as it would be with it) but am wondering what others have done? 

Thanks !

Avid Symphony v4 & DS 10.3.1 running dual boot on xw8400 x5355 @ 2.66GHz HP workstation with Nitris Classic DNA BOB. Workstation has 8GB of RAM and... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:53 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

I got a SATA connector with a 90 degree bend in it to clear the bottom of the board. Like the one pictured here: SATA Connector

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:48 AM In reply to

• Indifilmz
    • Not Ranked
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 19
    • Points 285

hey thanks for that!

So you got it working as such? 

I just did that - and the connection of the board with the PCIx slot doesn't seem 100% solid. i mean, the card is in 'there' but a slight angle is noticed. If you reckon that is how you've had it work for a while now, i will just leave it as such ;)

The alternative of not having the 'bracket' on the card at all wasn't wonderful concept either - so this is something I am a bit more comfortable with if in fact you can confirmed it works great for you ;)

Thanks again for the suggestion ! 

By the way mate, if you do have any of those Fan Assemblies left that you would want to part with, please check out an email I had sent you and hopefully we can work something out ;) Job gave his to Adam above.. thx mate!

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 12:55 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Well, mine is working that way, but I don't recall if there is a slight tilt to the card.

BTW: I never received your e-mail.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 2:00 AM In reply to

• Indifilmz
    • Not Ranked
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 19
    • Points 285

Thanks Terence! I've emailed you re: the fan assembly and some error msgs I am yet getting in dual boot on xw8400 set-up... hopefully they sound familiar ;)

let me know if you do not receive this email 2nd time around

cheers mate

• Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:02 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

NO go. Try Terry(at)alphadogs.tv

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller