Latest post Tue, Apr 8 2008 8:00 PM by frosty70. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:14 PM

• zia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 8 2006
    • Sugar Land
    • Posts 32
    • Points 485

How can I assign or designate the media to be captured to a specific folder on an external drive?

Hi guys,

How can I assign or designate the media to be captured to a specific folder on an external drive?

When I create any new project on my external drive, it has a MXF Folder which it created by default on that drive and inside that folder, it created a folder called "1". 

All the media is captured from the deck into that "1" folder for any project that I create.

I cannot figure out how to assign a separate folder to capture media for each separate project.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks,

Zia

Macbook Pro 2.33GHz/ 250 HD iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 750 GB HD, 512MB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: How can I assign or designate the media to be captured to a specific folder on an external drive?

I'm not sure you can unless you were to create a virtual drive for each project. I know that you can create a "2" folder instead of the "1" but bouncing between them is not something I've ever done. maybe someone else here has.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Re: How can I assign or designate the media to be captured to a specific folder on an external drive?

I don't think you can bounce back and forth either, but you could do this:

Hide your "1" folder from the system by moving it outside of your Avid MediaFiles folder.  Then capture all of the media you need to that same drive (a new "1" folder will be created.)  Then, change your other folder to "2" and drop it back in. 

While the system would automatically distribute any new files to either folder, at least your main digitized files would be separated. 

Otherwise, look into a program like MediaMover that will move files after the fact.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:37 PM In reply to

Avid's media management scheme is automatic. All MXF associated media files are stored in numerical folders within the MXF folder, with a new folder being created when the first folder reaches 5,000 files.  This is done to keep the media database files managable.  You DO NOT want to place media files anywhere else but where the system is placing them automatically - in the numerical folders. Otherwise, the system will not be able to find any of your media.  You should use the media tool, which will allow you to access media files by project.  All media management on your part should be done through the media tool. Do not attempt to do this at the desktop level or you can really foul yourself up big time.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:49 PM In reply to

• zia
    • Not Ranked
    • Sugar Land
    • Posts 32
    • Points 485

Fine, but that is really weird.

In FCP, you can create and designate to a new folder for capturing media for any project to keep media separated.

Avid MC is the daddy of FCP.

There's got to be a way to assign a folder to capture media for each separate project.

Thanks again,

Zia

Macbook Pro 2.33GHz/ 250 HD iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 750 GB HD, 512MB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

And how is FCP's media management? Not so great. Sure you can create all sorts of folders for capture, after that, good luck relinking, consolidating, moving, sifting, sorting, etc.

This is not FCP. If you try to drive it like it is, you'll just frustrate yourself.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 3:58 PM In reply to

zia:

In FCP, you can create and designate to a new folder for capturing media for any project to keep media separated.

Maybe, but that's not the way Avid works. You're comparing apples to oranges. Avid's media management strategy is to do all of the media file organizing and management in the background so the user doesn't have to deal with it.  Thanks to this system, you practically cannot accidentally delete media files, unlike in FCP.  There is absolutely no need to manually organize media on a project by project basis. As I said before, if your media files are placed anywhere else except in an "OMFI MediaFIles" folder or an "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF) ALL OF THAT MEDIA WILL BE OFFLINE AND UNUSABLE.

If I may offer a bit of advice, don't spend your time comparing Avid to FCP or trying to make Avid work like FCP. Learn the interface with an open, objective attitude and you'll grow to love it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

• zia
    • Not Ranked
    • Sugar Land
    • Posts 32
    • Points 485

Guys,

That's what I said. "MC is the DADDY of FCP"!

All I'm saying that there must be a way to keep media separated for each project.

That's all.

Zia

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 4:35 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

So, when you say "Must", do you mean that you don't believe us or are you making a feature request?

As we said, there are all sorts of ways to keep media separated by project. You just can't have them all online at the same time without some closely watched organization on your part. In addition, because of Avid's superior media management, there is really no reason to  separate your media on the finder level as there is on FCP. Through the media tool, you can sift, sort, display, move consolidate any of your media by project any time you wish. You can also use media mover to pull out an entire project's media for archiving at any time.

I think that you are just used to FCP's poor media management and are trying to apply that workflow to a system that really has no need for it.

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 4:36 PM In reply to

If you find a way to put MXF and OMFI media files somewhere else than we've indicated and have everything comeup online and usable, please come back and post your "discovery" here.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 7:11 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,210
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

I think the question that needs to be asked is why do you want to have separate media folders for each project. If you answer that then we can show you how to use the media tool or the consolidate command to achieve it.

As others have already said, there is no need to have separate media folders in avid. Although I would like a way to keep renders separate, but that's another issue.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 7 2008 7:49 PM In reply to

• Blue Crow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 23 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 5,965

If you are that desperate to keep the media seperate you could partition your drives  and name them as per project. Not with media already on them obviously.

To keep a close eye on my media with larger projects I name each partiton with the show number and make sure I render to that then consolidate any generic material to a generic partion so every prog is completely seperate this keeps database sizes down and at the end I can delete whole partitions without deleting anything from other shows.

I'm hopefully getting a new 4.0 in April. [view my complete system specs]

If this job was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 8:58 PM In reply to

I do something similar, each of my drives/partitions are named for what I use them for:

ie, drives that I capture to are named "Capture_01", "Capture_02", etc

drives that I render to are named "Render_01", etc

drives for imported media... "Imports_01"

and so on.

Then when I'm creating something like a Title or rendering a sequence... I choose one of my Render drives.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 10:24 PM In reply to

• Blue Crow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 23 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 5,965

It's a good way to work Kenton so many times I've seen projects get cluttered or drives go over the recommended file count and surprise surprise once your at that stage it's really hard to get everything back to full working order.

I'm hopefully getting a new 4.0 in April. [view my complete system specs]

If this job was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

• Mon, Apr 7 2008 10:30 PM In reply to

Blue Crow:
    ...once your at that stage it's really hard to get everything back to full working order

That's why I prefer working exclusively in MXF - every 5,000 files generates a new numerical folder without my having to deal with it directly. Keeps the databases lean and mean. Just my personal preference, but I'd rather spend my time editing with as minimal an amount of "hands on" media file management as possible.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller