Latest post Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:36 PM by genem. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 5:46 PM

• rcedit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 6
    • Points 85

Xpress Pro/MC in Boot Camp

Hey Guys-

So, I've done some post searching in order to avoid an unnecessary thread but have only come up with fragments of info. If I have missed the seminal thread regarding installing and running Avid in Boot Camp, please link me up.

Otherwise: I have a new MacPro and would like to run Xpress Pro or MC in Boot Camp while waiting for the Leopard update. I bought Windows Xp Pro w/SP2  and I'm ready to install and set up my system. Looking for advice, tricks, version compliance, etc. Does MC work any better in Boot Camp than XpressPro? Do I need to create a large partition to accomodate media or should I just use a windows formatted FW drive?

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 6:48 PM In reply to

• skinnymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 31 2005
    • NYC - Available to work worldwide
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

Re: Xpress Pro/MC in Boot Camp

I had the same questions and finally just went ahead and did the process over the last few days. So far so good and I'll be happy to share what I did/learned but can you tell me your system specs?

MCP 3.5.1/Leopard 10.5.6/QT7.6 on Macbook Pro 17" 2.4GHz Intel 4GB RAM (with a free replaced motherboard as the original had a defective videocard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:06 PM In reply to

• skinnymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 31 2005
    • NYC - Available to work worldwide
    • Posts 38
    • Points 470

OK, I have some more time so here's what I've done to get Boot Camp up on my MacBook Pro (someone will probably say this belongs on the PC side of the forum ; )   --

I started with a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with NVidia graphics card, 3 Gig RAM, OS 10.4.11, Quicktime 7.4.1.

1) Using the app SuperDuper I copied my boot drive running Tiger to an external, bootable FW drive. This drive is still capable of running my AXP. It's also insurance if I start running into big problems. I also uninstalled my Sapphire effects and registered that over the web (so that I can reinstall on the PC side later)

2) I did a simple Upgrade to Leopard (10.5.1).  A lot of folks recommend doing a clean install but I thought I'd try this and if I ran into problems I could do a clean sweep as a 2nd Effort.

I then upgraded to 10.5.2 which is said to be much more stable. I also re-upgraded to QT 7.4.1. I've also done all security updates, etc. Initially on Leopard my AXP did not run. It seems to have an issue with the dongle and with the coremidi... which is mentioned in the Leopard thread stickied above.

To save you some time basically I'll quote/paraphrase BLKDOG and others:

a) You need to dump the MIDI drivers in library>audio>mididrivers.

b) When you first open AXP in Leapard it said it did not have Interlok extensions and allows you to click to go to the PACE security website. There you'll find Interlok extensions for Mac OS 10.5; then download and install.

So now I have AXP "working" on Leopard 10.5.2 with QT 7.4.2. I've only used it briefly.

3) Moving on, using BootCamp, I partitioned 20GB of my Leopard drive for a PC partition. I then used my single OEM Windows XP SP2 install disk to install XP. I did all security updates (91 total!). I installed QT 7.3, Windows Media Player 10, Avid Xpress Pro (5.7 which I re-upgraded to 5.8), I reinstalled Sapphire. I also installed MacDrive 7 to be able to "transfer" files from/to my Mac formatted drives including my Leopard boot drive and media drives (it is not recommended to have AXP use MacDrive to access the media drives).

So far I've spent 2 short days doing this. It has gone smoothly but is very detail oriented.

4) Now begins the laborious of copying over projects and media to PC formatted drives. Here is a helpful Avid tech page about moving projects and media from Mac to PC: http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=71675

MCP 3.5.1/Leopard 10.5.6/QT7.6 on Macbook Pro 17" 2.4GHz Intel 4GB RAM (with a free replaced motherboard as the original had a defective videocard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 30 2008 2:10 PM In reply to

• rcedit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 6
    • Points 85

Thanks for the info. Very cool.  I might try upgrading to MC and running 2.8 on 10.5.2 before going the boot camp route. I want Windows XP on my system though and won't be able to resist trying to get MC running at some point. So, thanks again.

• Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:36 PM In reply to

• genem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 14 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Hello!

I know your post is a year old, but I'm hoping this is still working for you. I'm trying to do the same with a new iMac, and am having problems with the audio drivers on the Windows side. Are you using Realtek drivers?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller