Latest post Sun, Jul 10 2022 5:03 PM by Youghes. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 5 2022 1:44 PM

• Youghes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2022
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Coming back to Avid

Hello.  I worked as a freelance film/TV editor cutting mostly on Avid for about 10 years after several years working as an assistant editor.  Mostly on factual TV programs (30 mins and longer)  but also on some drama and doing the off-line edits in pro edit houses and supervising online edits and dubs.  I stopped about 15years ago for one reason and another and am lately thinking about exploring re-starting.  My question is if the user interface / edit process has changed damatically?  I've been looking around the Avid site and it looks familliar in many ways but Im not sure if I am being really stupid for even thinking about re-starting as it seems vaster than I remember it to be.    I originally worked in a Commercials house in Soho that trialled some of the first Avids in the days when a lot of footage was still shot on fllm and when 9GB storage looked like a brick!  It was all transfered from tape and Im guessing theres mostly memory cards now?  Has anyone here been working across all this time and have any view on the evolving interface / process.  I am fairly computer literate and used to set up my own edit suites on location if necessary  but I was never very involved with SFX beyond dissolves, basic colouring and motion FX type of stuff.  Am I mad to be thinking about getting back into it now in my early 50's.   Thank you in advance for any input.  

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 5:03 PM In reply to

Re: Coming back to Avid

Hiya,

For every person that says the interface has changed so much that you'll never be able to figure it out there will be someone else that says it's evolved but is essentially the same so you'll be fine.

To me, the bigger issue will be the changes in getting material into the system. It's not that you can't learn to do it, but it'll all be pretty unfamiliar at first.

So my question for you is are you the sort of person who says things like, 'I'd like to throw this stupid computer out the window,' or 'I didn't do anything! I was just working like normal and out of nowhere I lost everything I've been working on for the last 2 weeks!'?

If not, you'll probably be fine. If the answer to that is 'yes,' then I think you ought to think about how much you want to come back.

p.s. Reading your post a little more closely, I think you'll probably be fine once you get the basics of the new linking workflows down.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 5:15 PM In reply to

My advice is find somebody who's up on the current Avid version and modern workflows and pay them for some support.

Workflows have changed, and processes have evolved and a whole lot of new terminogy has emerged. 

Fundementally the edit process is much as it was and MC is basically very similar to 15 years ago. Just with a whole bunch of new extra stuff and minus a sensible Titler.

You could try and learn on the fly but make the wrong choice early on and it can make things very difficult later on. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Fri, Jul 8 2022 8:22 AM In reply to

• Youghes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thank you, that's much appreciated. Yes, browsing through the site and a manual I can see that it is quite different but also the fundamentals and the principles are very similar. I'm probably rusty but I haven't forgotten about editing itself. 

I will keep thinking. I'm not sure how I would go about getting involved again but I'm having a nice time looking at all the info and remembering my editing days. Cheerio.

• Fri, Jul 8 2022 8:24 AM In reply to

• Youghes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thank you very much, that's much appreciated.  It appears that you are a trainer in the UK abd i was curious about that  but your website link does not seem to work. 

• Fri, Jul 8 2022 12:29 PM In reply to

I'll update my profile.

I retired earlier in the year. Although I still seem to get dragged into helping people out. Mainly via zoom nowadays.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Fri, Jul 8 2022 2:48 PM In reply to

Youghes:

I stopped about 15years ago for one reason and another and am lately thinking about exploring re-starting.  My question is if the user interface / edit process has changed damatically?  

Hi Youghes,

Feel free to reach out to me directly. I'd be happy to walk you through what things look like and feel like in the MC app today. I've been using it for a few hundred years now, and can give you a lot of context on how the new stuff works, in comparison to how it used to work.

I'm at chris.bove@avid.com

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Sun, Jul 10 2022 5:03 PM In reply to

• Youghes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thank you Chris, it's much appreciated. I will bank that and read and explore a little more to fire up the memory bank  and maybe compile a list of half sensible questions in the meantine. Cheerio for now, Elaine

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller