Latest post Tue, Jul 5 2022 4:46 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 2 2022 9:05 PM

What New Project Settings?

Hi,

Never having transcoded 4K to DNxHD 4K before (and I know I probably have the precise terminology incorrect here, please bear with me), may I please ask for advice as to what settings would be best for a new project?  Please note the attached MediaInfo screengrab of a relevant file (from the Sony FS5).

The general intention here (as I have thus far avoided editing strictly in 4K), is once inside the project to link this to the camera footage, then to place all (in this instance of a live dance event) on a timeline, cut out the dross, and with only the wanted material remaining to transcode this (including handles), and then proceed with the edit as per usual, only now using native Avid material.

One, is this a suitable solution?  Two, what would be the best New Project settings? 

Thank you,

DC 

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2022.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 3 2022 9:32 AM In reply to

Re: What New Project Settings?

Have you tried linking the camera sources into a project and actually editing with it yet? You need a powerful system to manage 4K in realtime. 16GB RAM is the bare minimum to run MC you need a lot more RAM to handle 4K.

Also you need very fast drives to access the content in real time.

The choice of project settings is normally determined by what you need to deliver at the end.

I see the footage is 25fps do you need to produce a 4K output or do you only need an HD output?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Mon, Jul 4 2022 9:09 AM In reply to

Hi Pat,

Thank you for getting back to me.  Ok, this is the very first thing you do in Avid, and yet I've kinda learned it parrot fashion as all projects to date are pumped out in 1080p, so truly I have not bent my head around all the options that a variety of transcoding qualities provide.  However, this thread here is ultimately about future-proofing; so maybe I should ask the question another way? 

When you edit linked 4K material you can, for example, in the edit suite zoom in without recognisable loss of picture quality, and yet, unless I have this wrong, once transcoded to a 1080 equivalent then zooming in in post is going to produce picture quality loss; so the real purpose of my question is how to avoid this and future proof at the same time? 

Therefore, can I transcode, as described in my initial post (from an edited sequence), and within this current 1080p project have this 4K material to hand to both, say, manipulate at will, and also to have this 4K footage available perhaps for another project?  And with the attached screengrab earlier posted, what DNxHD/HR setting would you recommend?

Thank you,

DC 

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2022.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 4 2022 10:54 AM In reply to

As Pat said,

Pat Horridge:
    The choice of project settings is normally determined by what you need to deliver at the end.

Asking about what workflow choices you should make without saying what your delivery requirements are is like asking what roads you should take without saying what your destination is.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jul 4 2022 4:20 PM In reply to

Thank you.  It's just that I'm thinking more from an archiving POV.  What would you recommend re: the above? 

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 11:29 AM In reply to

Anyone, please?  As said, silly of me to not have a handle on this, though I have just kinda bluffed my way through this issue up until now.  My main concern is to 'MXF' the footage in such a way that as much capability (for lack of a better term) is available at some future date, irresepctive of the immediate project to hand. 

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 1:38 PM In reply to

If you transcode in Avid with the DNxHR codec you have the choice of retaining the source resolution or scaling to the project resolution. The choice is yours.

Obviously retaining source resolution makes larger files that are more demanding on you system.

Re archiving and future proofing you have the original source files. You can easily make a 1080 project, but transcode the few clips you think you may need the ability to zoom in to at source resolution and all the rest to 1080.

If later you need a higher res output you open the project. Change the format raster to the desired output resolution (say UHD or 2K or 4K)

Then relink the final sequence to the camera sources and you have a sequence at that source resolution.

But remember any sources you zoomed in will look softer on a 4K output because you have lost pixels in the zoom. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 1:57 PM In reply to

Thank you, Pat.  Looking at the screengrab above, what DNxHR resolution might you suggest that both achieves the future-proofing objectives sought for and is decently usuable on my system? 

• Tue, Jul 5 2022 4:46 PM In reply to

The Transcoded media is only used for the required output for the current deliverable (and for an offline online workflow the initial proxy transcode would be well less than needed for the final output)

The point is you camera masters are your archive masters. The Transcoded media is just temporary to achieve what you need now.

Which flavour of DNxHR depends on how well your system can cope with it and how to if you retain the source raster size or rescale to HD. If you only have 16GB RAM you can't do much more than HD.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller