Latest post Thu, Sep 23 2021 1:48 PM by Bruno M. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 22 2021 4:37 PM

• Editble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 22 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

AMA link issues after Tentacle Sync Studio

As part of our workflow I sync camera (Sony FS7, AVC Intra 100 1080p) and sound  via tentacle sync studio and export the resulting files as new clips- either AVC Intra 100 or pass through depending on camera. 

This works fine from my old MacPro (Mid 2010) running MacOS Sierra with MC 2019.12.4- files link fine and from there I can consolidate them to our server.

However, I'm on the road at the moment and was trying to get ahead by sorting out some rushes on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) running Big Sur. Same procedure- sync camera and sound and export new files- I've tried both passthrough and re-encoding them to ProRes 422. So when I try to link to these files (MC 2021.6.0 can't go back because of OS) - about half of them work while the others say they can't be linked and Avid suggests installing an AMA plugin- but they are definitely the exact same formats- files names are no different or longer, they also won't import directly. I've tried re-encoding again with Compressor and the same problem persists.

The original files will link and consolidate fine! Anyone else come across this? (Brand new here so I hope I'm in the right place for this...)

Macbook Pro MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

(Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)

Mac OS Big Sur 11.5.1

Avid Media Composer 2021.6.0

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 10:17 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

Re: AMA link issues after Tentacle Sync Studio

I was thinking that it could be something to do with the old quicktime 32bit codecs, which I believe are not included in Big Sur (which is all 64 bit) but that doesn't explain why half of the clips will relink and others won't!

Is there any common factor in the clips that won't relink?

Could they be spanned clips? 

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 23 2021 11:06 AM In reply to

• Editble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 22 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hey Bruno 

Thanks for your response, no the clips are completely random as far as I can tell- second clip, fifth, 9th, 10th, 11th, 17th etc- and it happens on all cards from different cameras. I've tested it again this morning and the same thing happens on a new Intel iMac running Big Sur.

I was however mistaken when I said that it still happened after transcoding to ProRes instead of leaving it as AVC Intra. Avid reads the ProRes 422 versions fine but that has two major downsides- a massive increase in file size compared to the original and we also work off an Editshare server that uses Flow Browse to browse clips- unfortunately ProRes in the Avid MediaFiles directory isn't supported so the clips appear as separate audio and video clips and the proxies can't be played back long term once the originals have been archived off. 

Very frustrating- the actual synced clips play fine in FCPX  or Quicktime it's only once Avid gets involved that the problems arise...

• Thu, Sep 23 2021 1:48 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

Could Tentacle be doing something to the files that Avid doesn't like?

Strange that it would only be doing it to some clips and not others.

Not sure why you're using this software as Avid will happily sync up video and audio using autosync. Since you say the original clips will link fine, could you try doing this to one of the problem clips... ie linking an original video and audio pair and syncing?

The only other thing I can think of is forcing the linking away from the (usual) auto setting and trying one of the other options. You should be able to select this once you click into the 'auto' setting in the Source Browser.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller