Latest post Sat, Sep 18 2021 1:13 PM by Pat Horridge. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 16 2021 11:37 AM

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 1 2018
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Audio match frame export

Hi everyone,

I'm an assistant editor on a tv series. The sound editor asks me an aaf audio match frame. It means that for each video clip on V1 I have to match frame then place the 2 channels audio mix under the clip. I don't know if I'm clear, please excuse my english.

This work is so redundant and time consuming... Is there a way to automate this within avid ? Something like an "auto call back" of the synced subclip audio tracks (usually the audio mix).

I tried with a macro recorder, it works, but is not as fast as I thought, and is an external solution I'd like to avoid.

A friend of mine developped a tool to do exactly that task, but it was buggy as hell and he no longer maintains it, unfortunately. But it's doable, I saw it work : export an aaf (linked media) of V1, give it to the software, and it creates a new aaf with V1, A1, A2.

Thank you all, any help would be appreciated !

• Thu, Sep 16 2021 11:46 AM In reply to

Re: Audio match frame export

There are 3rd party tools designed to do hust that. I think Ediload is one but there are others.

Its not done in Avid its a reprocessing of a picture EDL to create Audio links.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Thu, Sep 16 2021 12:48 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Ok thank you for your reply.

So no other solution than an external and expensive one...

So sad for a task that has to be done on nearly all features and series (as far as i'm concerned), and that could be only two clicks away within avid !

• Thu, Sep 16 2021 12:52 PM In reply to

This has always been done on the Audio side when sent to dub in my experience.

And dubbing mixers have those tools in my experience.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Thu, Sep 16 2021 1:30 PM In reply to

Pat is talking about a regular conform, which is different.

The request from sound editorial is one where you take a V-only sequence and add the matching sound for each video clip in the sequence (each V cut becomes an A cut as well). This is an ideal way for sound editorial to have perfect sync guides, and it allows them to quickly steal snippets of sync audio you may not have present in your audio tracks. Sound editorial cannot do this themselves, since there usually is no direct relationship between the metadata for the V track and the metadata for the A tracks – at least not outside of MC (where AutoSync has this covered).

I've done this with macro's, I've done it manually. Tedious, but useful. Would be great if Avid had a built-in macro for this (similar to AutoSequence).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 16 2021 1:37 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Thanks, that's precisely my request, better formulated :-)

• Thu, Sep 16 2021 2:20 PM In reply to

I call this 'AfollowV' – not sure how that makes it any clearer, though.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 16 2021 2:37 PM In reply to

Presumably this couldn't be done from the AFF as the audio sources aren't the same as the video sources?

We aren't looking at just bringing online the audio tracjs related to the video as captured by the camera?

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 12:53 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Pat Horridge:

Presumably this couldn't be done from the AFF as the audio sources aren't the same as the video sources?

Exactly.

Pat Horridge:

We aren't looking at just bringing online the audio tracjs related to the video as captured by the camera?

No, we aren't. We try to automatically  find the synced subclip audio, to match exacly V1. Which is very redundant when performed on an entire 1500 shots timeline, by manually match framing each shot, select the audio tracks, put it on the timeline. 1500 times ! We often use a macro recorder to perform this, but it's not ideal (and quite a long process anyway).

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 1:38 PM In reply to

Ok makes sense. I've raised it as a feature request. But its a bit niche so who knows...

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 9:23 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Thank you very much Pat ! But believe me it's not niche at all from my point of view, in the real world of feature editing. Every AE I know fears this long and boring task...

But maybe it's just us, in France. I don't know elsewhere, to be honest.

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 9:30 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

I'm wondering if this could be done with an EDL?

The procedure would be as follows.

1) Use list tool to export the video only sequence as an EDL.

2) Open EDL in text editor - like Wordpad.

3) Use 'Find & Replace' feature to change all instances of a single, capital 'V' to 'AA/V'

4) Save EDL.

5) Import EDL into MC.

6) Relink timeline.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 9:35 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

Makes sense and sounds great, I'll try that !

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 10:14 PM In reply to

That EDL method would only work if both have common timecode, if no Perf Slip or correction has been applied (this would immediately disqualify it for my purposes). And I think the main catch is: how to change the sources from cam source to audio source. Those source names likely have no correlation. With footage coming from multiple days, there's no way to link JUST by Timecode.

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 10:23 PM In reply to

• bd2s
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

You're right...

Well, i'm curious to test this anyway. Timecode is common, no corrections. But indeed sources will be broken. I'll see.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller