Latest post Fri, Sep 17 2021 11:08 AM by Philip Kapadia. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 11:29 AM

AMC 2018 - What to look out for...

Hi all, 

On Tuesday I'm going into a post house in London as an assistant editor for the first time. This particular company, like most post-houses in soho, are still on the 2018 versions of avid media composer. I've never properly used the 2018 versions of AMC as I started learning on MC 2019. I'll be playing around with it later on today, but was wondering if there was anything to look out for, other than of course the interface change? Is it "all the same" with a different skin? 

Thanks in advance :)

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 12:00 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Re: AMC 2018 - What to look out for...

It's the same essentially if not a lot simpler. Key differences I can think of, offhand are: (others will add more) Settings are to be found in the project window and are all lumped together. All bins float - there is no docking; there is less space for tool buttons on the timeline and I think, though I can't remember the lift and ripple symbols (aka Strongman and scissors) are red and yellow - that look very similar to insert and overwrite!

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 12:23 PM In reply to

Mercer:

It's the same essentially if not a lot simpler. Key differences I can think of, offhand are: (others will add more) Settings are to be found in the project window and are all lumped together. All bins float - there is no docking; there is less space for tool buttons on the timeline and I think, though I can't remember there lift and ripple symbols (aka Stongman and scissors) are red and yellow - that look very similar insert and overwrite!

TY for that! I don't think I can install MC 2021.3 and 2018 on the same system (or maybe I can, but I don't want to mess anything up) so i'll install it on my laptop and have a play-around. 

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 2:23 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    I don't think I can install MC 2021.3 and 2018 on the same system

You can't, unless you have 2 boot drives, in which case you can have 2018.x on one and 2021.x on the other. Just FYI

Media Composer 2021.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 3:11 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Philip Kapadia:
    I don't think I can install MC 2021.3 and 2018 on the same system

You can't, unless you have 2 boot drives, in which case you can have 2018.x on one and 2021.x on the other. Just FYI

👍👍

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 3:32 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

If you were learning MC from 2019.6, you would have had the newer UME (universal Media Engine) to contend with.

With 2018, it's still the old AMA.

Not sure what difference this will make for you. I believe some of the Op1a export options may be missing.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 4:30 PM In reply to

Bruno M:

If you were learning MC from 2019.6, you would have had the newer UME (universal Media Engine) to contend with.

With 2018, it's still the old AMA.

Not sure what difference this will make for you. I believe some of the Op1a export options may be missing.

Thanks for your response :) 

The universial media engine was introduced in 2020.4, so I do have experience using avid media access. OP1a MXF options between 2018 and 2021 should be the same as thats MXF. UME added better performance for H.264, new H.265, & other codecs and that's under the new "UME Export" tab. Also, with UME (and I do this often) we got the ability to import OP1a via importing the database file. You can drag MXF media into the UME folder structure, as well as of course OP-Atom. I obviously can't do that with AMA which I have to remember! 

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 10:22 PM In reply to

Will this be edit assisting or assisting an editor? If you're literally assisting a specific editor then you'll be fine. If it's edit assisting then you'll have a bunch of stuff to do probably, if it's one of the big boys like Evos or Envy or The Farm etc I'd guess ingest, turnovers for audio, viewing copy exports etc, possibly some grouping. Mostly basic stuff but do check how they like things done - mixodwns may need certain handles at start and end etc, check what codec they work in etc. All the details should be on your work order but always ask if you're unsure. No need to suffer in silence, there should always be a manager on shift.

If ingesting:

Post houses store all the rushes media on large nearline SAN which you will mount or navigate to depending on how they are set up, make sure you don't move things around as the nearline location will be entered in rushes logs. Be careful with naming and make sure ingested material accurately reflects the master rushes - you'll almost certainly have to add disk label and tape ID type information with roll numbers and source paths so that things can be found for conforming so make sure they're correct. I've had to conform so many things where the ingest op filled in the same roll number for two different rolls and it is a ball ache at 3am to have to hunt for these things. 

Remember to fill out any logs, keep an eye on your emails if they give you an account and check the jobs regularly as they often get cancelled or change or get replaced with something "Super urgent". Super urgent is just producer speak for "I want you to do my thing first". Everything is urgent all the time. 

Mainly have a nice time, get to know folks and enjoy the experience. London post houses are great places to work and you can learn as much or as little as you like at them. Also don't wear a Pikachu onesie to the MCR - I literally had to send someone home for doing that once. The mind boggles.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 10:31 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Also don't wear a Pikachu onesie to the MCR - I literally had to send someone home for doing that once. The mind boggles.

Andi

How'd you guess? That's exactly what I was planning to wear to the machine room on my first day - absolutely! 

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 10:36 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Will this be edit assisting or assisting an editor? If you're literally assisting a specific editor then you'll be fine. If it's edit assisting then you'll have a bunch of stuff to do probably, if it's one of the big boys like Evos or Envy or The Farm etc I'd guess ingest, turnovers for audio, viewing copy exports etc, possibly some grouping. Mostly basic stuff but do check how they like things done - mixodwns may need certain handles at start and end etc, check what codec they work in etc. All the details should be on your work order but always ask if you're unsure. No need to suffer in silence, there should always be a manager on shift.

If ingesting:

Post houses store all the rushes media on large nearline SAN which you will mount or navigate to depending on how they are set up, make sure you don't move things around as the nearline location will be entered in rushes logs. Be careful with naming and make sure ingested material accurately reflects the master rushes - you'll almost certainly have to add disk label and tape ID type information with roll numbers and source paths so that things can be found for conforming so make sure they're correct. I've had to conform so many things where the ingest op filled in the same roll number for two different rolls and it is a ball ache at 3am to have to hunt for these things. 

Remember to fill out any logs, keep an eye on your emails if they give you an account and check the jobs regularly as they often get cancelled or change or get replaced with something "Super urgent". Super urgent is just producer speak for "I want you to do my thing first". Everything is urgent all the time. 

Mainly have a nice time, get to know folks and enjoy the experience. London post houses are great places to work and you can learn as much or as little as you like at them. Also don't wear a Pikachu onesie to the MCR - I literally had to send someone home for doing that once. The mind boggles.

Andi

I'm not sure If I should disclose the particular post house, They are quite big though from what I hear. 

Anyway, Thank you for your informative response - that's really helpful! I'm going in on tuesday and thursday for "training", I'll let you know what exactly I do after that, I thought it would be good to get ahead of the game interms of MC anyway. I think i'm fairly confident in the MC side, i've just never done it before at a pro post house. 

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 11:40 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,815
    • Points 63,150

Good on ya, Philip. Very exciting - what a great opportunity. Good luck!!!

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Sep 13 2021 12:12 AM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

I owe a lot of my Avid knowledge to this forum, so thank you all for that. <3

• Mon, Sep 13 2021 7:06 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

BarkinMadd:

Yes Phillip, best of luck and well doneYes That was very generous and good advice from Andi too!

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 5:37 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,921
    • Points 70,115

I'm reading this too late to tell You go and break a leg, but how did it go?

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 9:42 AM In reply to

luca.mg:

I'm reading this too late to tell You go and break a leg, but how did it go?

Aw thanks Luka. Chuffed I got up to AE in a post house before going into uni. Will have to talk with them as can't commit to that full time + Uni. 

Went all well, 2018 isn't that difficult. One thing I notice though, almost everyone I spoke to there hate the new interface change. A lot of people gave me BS reasons as to why... but I played their game and nodded along, only disagreed politely when I could. 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller