Latest post Fri, Oct 1 2021 5:15 AM by Cagney. 40 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 9:46 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone watch the 2021.9 live stream? What a joke.

luca.mg:

The Titanic went down Philip! 

Funny that... do you remember my first posts on this forum Wink 

Avid almost went bankrupt serveral times in the past!

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 12:05 PM In reply to

I agree that Resolve is not an option for editing, but I've been looking at Lightworks (LWKS) for a while now and have used it on a few projects in the past with great success. Each user has different requirements, but for me it looks to be a good alternative to Media Composer. They have a discount right now and I'm taking the opportunity to start using it on small projects, with the intention to replace Media Composer in my setup for larger projects as well.

I will miss PhraseFind and a few other features that are (currently) lacking in Lightworks, but Lightworks has shown good development pace lately and has a long list of other strong points (like a superior trimming mode and a more modern and performant playback engine). My support contract for perpetual MC ends in a few days and will not be renewed.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 12:30 PM In reply to

Walter Johan:
    (like a superior trimming mode

What for you makes that so, just curious?

Please estimate % of mouse, keys, outboard controller you have been using for trimming in LightWorks?  

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 2:07 PM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,965

I wonder why the Avid team thought that such a webinar would be a good idea. There are introducing a feature very few people can use because it's only Media Composer enterprise. 

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 2:52 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,815
    • Points 63,150

Pol:

I wonder why the Avid team thought that such a webinar would be a good idea. There are introducing a feature very few people can use because it's only Media Composer enterprise. 

That's a good question. I think the webinar was misnamed. It's focus was really on remote viewing for Enterprise customers with a little bit about the 2021.9 release near the end.

Also, even though the new features are sparse (but welcome, IMO) we have not yet seen the list of defects fixed. Hopefully this list will be comprehensive and valuable to most of us.

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 3:03 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

Walter Johan:
    (like a superior trimming mode

What for you makes that so, just curious?

Please estimate % of mouse, keys, outboard controller you have been using for trimming in LightWorks?  

Trimming in Lightworks follows a different logic than MC's A or B-sides. Instead you can use a combination of "trim last out", "trim in", "trim out" and "trim next in" based on the clip(s) underneath the playhead. These trim options will, in general, give me much more usable starting points for trimming, especially with more complex timelines. This works equally well whether you trim by keyboard or mouse. I prefer using the keyboard, but also use the mouse every now and then.

Lightworks will never cut your clips in half, the way MC does to keep sync when you trim with sync locked tracks disabled. It puzzles me why anyone would ever want that to happen. In Lightworks it's easier to keep sync because of the aforementioned trim options. There are no sync lock toggles, because they aren't needed. You can just leave tracks enabled to keep sync.

As far as I know Lightworks doesn't have the type of dynamic trimming where you play and use Mark In (or Out) to determine the cutting point, but it makes up for that by letting you trim with the jogwheel (and shuttle) of a device like the Lightworks console (not currently being sold, but they're looking at taking it back in production), Contour Shuttle, Xkeys, etc. This works well and is a very nice way to perform the trim. I'm not sure about percentages of how much I use which way, but in general I select trim sides with the keyboard, and trim either with the jogwheel/shuttle, or with jkl, < and >.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 17 2021 4:33 PM In reply to

• Corkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 7 2015
    • Posts 21
    • Points 230

Lightworks always had the better physical UI – everyone knew (and knows?) that. It was fluid, natural, and allowed for faster productivity. The issue with the original Lightworks era (90s thru early 00s) was that the software team couldn't keep up; you were limited to very few tracks of audio, for example. But their flatbed film-style controller coupled with the mouse function was highly responsive and bulletproof, especially compared to Avid's (failed) attempt at this concept with Steenbeck.

I haven't tried the newer iterations of LW but I'm aware of the software advances. (I *would* try it, but not without investing in the flatbed interface.)

iMac 27" 3.6 8-core Intel Core i9 7 128GB, (mid 2019), iMac 27" 4.0 quad-core Intel Core i7 32GB (late 2015), Retina MacBookPro 15" 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 18 2021 11:23 AM In reply to

In reaction to those announcing they will continue to work with other products in this thread.

Those decisions are hopefully made on the basis of MC's features and not how Avid communicates them. But Avid, and this is the point I keep trying to make, you might want 1 product, Media Composer, to be the swiss army knive for all editors, using the available licenses to differentiate the needs of the different user groups, you still need to communicate the right features to the right customers.

Marketing features that are availabe on enterprice licenses to (potential) media composer first user, or the availability of media composer first to production houses while you can't use it for exchanging projects or media, only upsets some users, if at the same time core features used by all of them, for exanple titler+, aren't ready 2 years after its introduction.

The way I see it is that your products, their marketing and bugs/development problems in combination with a 1 product for all, causes all users to believe that the product is not for them but pointed at one of the other users categories. The one license monthly rental users thinks you do not care because MC is for broadcasters, Broadcasters believe you do not care as each new release of any of your products makes them believe you are transformaing their site into a testing location for unfinished products being developed to sell more licenses to the one month rental user.

The times your sales/support representatives end up in awkward positions having to present or provide information that they feel/know is because of internal commercial/organisational management decisions is steadily increasing. And especially for those that have been here for decades that doesn't help confidence.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Sep 18 2021 12:28 PM In reply to

Walter & Corkey, thanks for the replies. I only had a glance at the original LW in the mid 90's, including its groovy controller, but never got to use it.  It looked slick. 

Walter, if I ever see LW in action, I’ll keep your descriptions in mind. I searched for You-tubes but gave up before finding a complex timeline as an example.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 19 2021 3:09 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Lightworks was very poular with those editors who started on film, and the Steenbeck like control helped. The editor I assisted when I started much preferred it to the earlier iterations of Avid. I also cut my first programmes as a fully fledged editor on film but from the outset, when it arrived, I much preferred Avid. Those great old school editors have mostly retired now or gone to the great Moviola in the sky. I haven't used LW for many years though I have dipped into it's continued development and although it seems very good it's lowkey industry penetration makes it more marginal - unfortunately our tools are not always our choices. Nonetheless from what I see of it now, no matter how impressive and despite my reservations sometimes with Avid I would very very reluctantly trade to it for my day job.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 1 2021 5:15 AM In reply to

• Cagney
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 21 2020
    • Posts 15
    • Points 155

David Yardley:

Sometimes I feel that my frustration at Avid about the lack of new features that I would welcome is because I am getting on a bit, and have been using it for 30 years for 10 hours a day (Mostly.)

Then when a relative newby user, (I said relative, Philip...) feels the same way, perhaps it is because the development team have totally lost the plot.

-Symphony 32 bit float, Prod mixer track names in timeline, audio bussing, automation of RTAS, variable feather in Animatte etc. etc

This does my head in, along with no sub frame audio editing. Also time we had a loudness meter built in. 

Aways wanted the timeline mouse wheel scrolling to work the same as it does in Protools too.

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller