Latest post Thu, Jul 29 2021 5:18 PM by Ssnygg. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 13 2021 12:53 AM

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 11 2006
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 382
    • Points 4,560

Anyone else having problems with Avid Link?

Numerous times, Avid Link has decided that it has no record of the computer that I'm editing on, so it won't let me edit and it won't let me deactivate, so there is no way to reset it.

Has anyone else run into this?  Is there a way of fixing this without calling Avid again and again?

I have several systems. 1-Media Composer ver 5 1-Media Composer 2021.6 on Win 10 1-mac Express 2.2 AB/VB Targa set up The computers I use include: 1-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 13 2021 8:36 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone else having problems with Avid Link?

Ssnygg:
    Is there a way of fixing this without calling Avid again and again?

The only other thing you can do is email Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 13 2021 1:19 PM In reply to

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 382
    • Points 4,560

Avid was eventually able to reset things on their end, but this is a serious problem that keeps happening.  Everytime it happens, I lose a day and look like a total tool in front of my clients. Is this something Avid is working on fixing?  None of my other software has problems with licensing.  The first and most important aspect of any software is that you can turn it on.  Avid has failed me four times now.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent/reduce this in the future?

I have several systems. 1-Media Composer ver 5 1-Media Composer 2021.6 on Win 10 1-mac Express 2.2 AB/VB Targa set up The computers I use include: 1-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 13 2021 8:05 PM In reply to

I've also had multiple activation issues with Avid Link (and the old Appman). I guess that's why some people still choose a dongle. But then of course the dongle can break, or you can lose it...

I agree that online activation is something so essential, it should just work without any issues. This needs to be fixed, no doubt about that.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 14 2021 3:35 PM In reply to

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 382
    • Points 4,560

Do you think it is entirely on their side or is there somthing we can do to reduce the screw ups?

• Wed, Jul 14 2021 4:04 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,888
    • Points 69,780

I'm having an issue right now, MC wants to be activated, while it should be already active, license status in Avid link is unavailable. This is definitively something wrong on Avid's end, I never deactivated this software, it's only a system that has been off since last february.

Symphony 21.6, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jul 15 2021 12:44 PM In reply to

Ssnygg:

Do you think it is entirely on their side or is there somthing we can do to reduce the screw ups?

I don't know, but I think it's up to Avid to provide a more robust activation system.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 15 2021 3:58 PM In reply to

Link has been giving me a lot of problems. Recently, I have to login before being able to copy/paste my symphony serial numbers that could theoretically be stored inside my account but aren´t. I wish development would focus on the core functionality, i.e. activating software. Instead, it has turned into a bloated slow marketing portal.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2021 10:56 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 843
    • Points 10,805

I've been on the receiving end of Avid licencing issues for quite a while.

I got involved with this through a film school with 50 licences. These were on iMacs where we have to reactivate the licences on a yearly basis.

I'm not really sure how often software licences have to be verified. I did hear that Avid Link polls a server on a monthly basis, but our machines are permanently connected to the internet, so it's hard to know.

Sometimes we need to retire machines or wipe them clean with a cloned, base install, so we need to be able to activate/deactivate as required. This is where the problems started as we were often not able to successfully deactivate an iMac. Even after we had logged into our account (where we can see our 50 licences) and the 'deactivate' button seemed to be doing something, we found that the old activation remained tied to that machine and was unavailable.

Essentially, even though we thought we had 'freed up' machines prior to a reinstall, these licences were coming up as unavailable. We even had machines that we had given a new licence, that subsequently showed it had been activated with two licences!

Support's solution was to reset all the licences at their end and to show us the files that needed (on each iMac) to be deleted to clear the Avid Link caches. This seemed to fix the issues we had and is what we do before any licence change. It's not an elegant solution, but it's what we have for now. There's a way we can run a local licence server which will allow us to reset our licences without a call to Support, but it will need a Windows machine to run the necessary server.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2021 2:02 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,888
    • Points 69,780

The thing is that either Marianna or Ralph have to take care of resetting the license(s). Support calls for licensing issues are free, but bothering the customer's advocates is much faster, at least outside the US. I find it very embarassing to email Marianna or Ralph, they are busy enough with no need to take care of such stupid things. Moreover, the customers should be allowed to attivare/deactivate at will, it's a matter of our in come after all.

Symphony 21.6, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Jul 18 2021 12:40 PM In reply to

Hi, Let me share my experiences.

As a reseller tech we have seen license/registration related problems since the times where MC came wih dongles, but recently, let's say the last 1-2 years, things are getting really strange to the point where from the information visible in Avid Link, master account, partner.avid.com and billing information I can no longer deduce what might be going wrong and how many different databases are interlinked, which interlink might be malfunctioning and which information is trustworthy and which is wrong.

Before going into the latest observations, the first thing I think Avid needs to fix is the ability for customers/resllers to correct data input mistakes from the past. We have plenty of customers that have multiple site id's in partner.avid.com. With each new order Avid could create a new site id if the name under which the equipment was registered was not exactly the same as done with previous orders. For exanple: Antenna, Antenna TV, Ant1, Ant1 TV. I do not consider this Avid's fault, however lack of any online mechanism to correct these mistakes (because there is no short term financial incentive) created the basis for an ever expanding chaos. And when the decision was made to move towards software licensing, with an end user accessible master account and 3rd party web store, management should have understood the need for countermeassures to prevent this expansion of chaos. If Avid tried or not I do not know and as this is already outside of what we are allowed to discuss here I will not go any further into this.

Practically I see things going wrong in the support/license renewal or ending procedures. Obviously because those are the moments in which past mistakes pop up but also because of plain database interlink malfunctions during the renewal process. For example:

Ending a montly renewed subscription successfully in a customer's master account, and these licenses ending up in cancelled and expired subscriptions, can still result in these licenses continuing to work in MC and their invoicing also continuing. Avid does send confirmation emails which are saying:

Title: We’ve successfully processed your recurring subscription payment

Hi <customer>,

We've processed your recurring subscription payment for Media Composer Perpetual License Crossgrade to Media Composer | Ultimate 1-Year —woohoo! We're excited to be a part of your creative process!

Sincerely,
    Your fellow makers at Avid

But these emails never contain any system ID information and neither do the invoices. So cross referencing invoices to licenses can become complicated especially if a customer has many licenses, types and duration, for multiple projects. But that the master acount gets out of sync with the licenses considered active by the web store is clear.

Other issues are with Avid link itself. The de-activation process often completes while the status indication inside Avid link remains ACTIVATED. Or it can produce an error during de-activation while the de-activation actually happened. Trying to start MC is the only way to learn if the process completed.

A side effect of the above can be Avid link showing multiple system ID's as activated on the same machine! A situation that is impossible by design but Avid Link does not contain any mechanism that considers this an issue. But the problem does not stop there. If licenses are moved between editing stations or expired licenses are replaced with new licenses things can become really weird. 

When activating a new subscription license on a machine that previously ran a different expired subscription license the next automated renewal can cause the machine to use the old expired system ID again. When that happens the new system ID that was activated on that machine can be found activated automatically in 2 other MC systems in the same account. I have seen this 3 times after creating an inventory (excel) of all licenses for 1 of our customers. Only by deactivating and deleting all license files (swl and licenses folders) can order be restored.

Another issue is the ability to mix up system ID's and activation ID's. I discovered this by accident using the wrong system ID with a activation ID as the first 8 digits of the system ID were identical. When I saw my mistake I confirmed by making the same mistake again with the other activation ID. Both systems have been running fine since. This reminded me of things going wrong when Dongle ID's did not match with system ID's.

Of course the most important thing at the end of the day is that customers get what they pay for so they can meet their deadlines. And for most users that will relate to Media Composer, Protools and their options. For some others also Nexis as these are the products that show up in master acounts. My main issue is with Avid selling many other products besides MC, Protools and Nexis and them never being integrated into the customer master accounts in the first place. The information in Avid Link and a Master account may be wrong due to.... at least you have a portal where you can check and a community where you can ask Marianna or Ralph for help if you can't resolve the issues with support. For those using Interplay, Interplay production services, Mediacentral, iNews, Airspeed, Fastserve, etc, etc... the number ot times Avid support responds with a 'we do not see any support entitlement for this system ID', us having to go through orders, sending Avid support their own order confirmations back, finding out where we (reseller) or Avid forgot to include a system ID as the product was bought on a different date then the rest of a system, not being linked to the same site ID, etc.. is showing to be an increasing threat to customer continuity as they are not getting the support they thought they were paying for.

I'm just a reseller ACSR in a small country spending an hour reacting to OP's question if anybody else has problems with Avid Link violating community rules as a result by what I'm going to write now: From where I'm sitting Avid I would advise you to hire a good data analysis company to go through your CRM systems, portals, Avid Link development and webstore. At the same time I would ask all resellers and regional Avid offices to participate in a site-id <-> customer <-> system ID database cleanup program and create a customer portal in which a customer can see support status of all product he/she owns.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Jul 19 2021 6:29 AM In reply to

I regret having given up my dongle...

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 19 2021 7:49 AM In reply to

Thomas Erichsen:
    I regret having given up my dongle...

I kept mine Big Smile

The good news though is that support, Ralph and Marianna are very forthcoming to solve license issues.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Jul 19 2021 5:30 PM In reply to

• ns400r
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Nova Scotia/Toronto
    • Posts 46
    • Points 660

Relying on two great individuals to be the basis of all support for licensing is not a great business move as this causes worker burnout and what happens when they are both unavailable at 3am? We work in a 24 hour business, you can't expect two employees to have no life and no sleep. There's no reason that Avid can't figure Avid Link and licensing out. As a side note, their stock was under $7 last year and is now trading at over $37. Maybe some of that gain is on the backs of "not enough employees"? 

WIN10 - 128GB ram, 2x GTX1080TI, i9-10940x, QNAP TVS-872XT, 64TB 10G NAS, self built [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 19 2021 10:24 PM In reply to

Avid as a company doesnt´t seem too keen on keeping a stable environment for clients or employees. Avid can´t figure out link because nowadays marketing is more important than core functionality, speed, reliability and workflow - the rest can be done on the backs of Marianna and Ralph and probably many others I don´t even know about. Sad, because it used to be all about workflow and speed and stability... That´s the main grief for me, that the core values are forfeit.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller