Latest post Wed, Jun 23 2021 3:44 PM by jef. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 23 2021 10:26 AM

Importing MXF Media on Media Composer Shared System

Hi everyone, 

My apologies if this is a silly question but I am a newbie and a little confused regarding importing MXF media on a shared system which I will be doing on my next job. 

So far I have mostly worked on my individual machine, so to import MXF my folder structure would be Avid MediaFiles -- MXF -- 1 or any number. 

How does the process differ on a shared system?

I have read that instead of numbers Avid needs the workstation name instead of numbers. So if I downloaded my MXF files from Aspera for example, would the folder structure need to be Avid MediaFiles -- MXF -- ComputerName,  in order for Avid to read the media? And then I would be able to change that ComputerName folder name once the media has been scanned by Avid? 

Also out of curiosity, does the media have to be organized into folders within the MFX folder, or would Avid be able to read the media if I simply dropped it inside the MFX folder? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 2:58 PM In reply to

Re: Importing MXF Media on Media Composer Shared System

On most shared systems you will be mounting a workspace that you will need read write access to.

I'd then create a bit of media (import a graphic) and that will show you where it needs to be.

You can then replicate that.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 3:23 PM In reply to

merryweather26:
    I have read that instead of numbers Avid needs the workstation name instead of numbers.

Both actually. So:

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/CLIENTNAME.1, /CLIENTNAME.2, /CLIENTNAME.3 etc.

Or any other number. You'll obivously need to know what the actual name of the client station is. Simplest way to find that out is, as Pat says, to import a piece of media so MC will generate a mediafiles subfolder for that client.

merryweather26:
    And then I would be able to change that ComputerName folder name once the media has been scanned by Avid? 
    Sure, if you so desire. You can even go back to just plain numbers.

merryweather26:
    does the media have to be organized into folders within the MFX folder,
    Yes.

merryweather26:
    or would Avid be able to read the media if I simply dropped it inside the MFX folder?
    No.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 23 2021 3:44 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,894
    • Points 46,985

It should be noted that to do what is being discussed, you need a storage system that supports bin sharing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller