Latest post Wed, Jun 23 2021 6:54 AM by Mercer. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 5 2014 5:53 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 14,860

Baselight for Avid

If you haven't acquainted yourself with this plug-in then I strongly recommend that you do.Grading, tracked power windows, keying, resize/cropping etc make it a one stop shop.

Set up rewind/fast forward to F5 and F6 and switch Baselight to use the numerical keypad for scratchpad and it is faster/better than Avid CCR.Start off with the film grade (exposure/contrast/saturation and lift/gamma/gain) then add a second primary ('P') draw a shape ('S'), switch back to grade ('G') and knock back the outside.

There is so much goodness in this plug-in that the 30-day trial will come around too quick and you'll stump up £1000 of your own to carry on using it...Did I mention that I quite like it?

The CCR that Symphony should have been, all within editorial interface (no xml / aaf round-tripping).

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 11:22 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,810
    • Points 63,060

Re: Baselight for Avid

Yes - but at a cost equal to MC. What's with these companies that price their plugins as if MC was still a $2500 package (and Symphony a $5000 pkg)?

I guess if you do a lot of color grading this could be a real timesaver and it may pay for itself in those circumstances. I'd like to watch some tutorials to see this in action in MC. 

thx

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Jun 5 2014 12:07 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,810
    • Points 63,060

http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/resources/video/bleditions/baselightforavid.php

OK - in fairness, it looks like a pretty amazing color grading package. It renders in real time on the avid timeline, includes primary and secondary corrections with both mattes and color ranges. Has a built-in tracker and full support for the artist color control surface. Watch the tutorials in the above link if your interested.

Too expensiveness for me, but I'm only a hobbiest. 

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Jun 18 2021 7:59 PM In reply to

• TIMETOFILM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 22 2020
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,215

Hi! I just discovered Baselight for Avid and it seems powerful indeed!

I wondered if when opening the plug in, on a multi-monitor setup (three in my case) there is a way to have a workspace with all the UI elements dispatched on selected monitors and have a full screen playback/monitoring of the image on one screen?

(The way I have my Media Composer UI elements dispatched on left and right monitors and Fullscreen Playback in the center)

If so, how to do it?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

• Fri, Jun 18 2021 9:02 PM In reply to

I have the baselight plugin and its really neat. But its all contained in the Baselight GUI that opens. You can stretch that across screens I think but you can't float out components.

You can reqest a trail if you want to have a play.

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/products/editions/overview_ed.php

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Jun 19 2021 4:16 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

The real power in this plugin is when you have it as part of a workflow with a full Baselight suite.

Whole programme grades can be swapped back and forth between the Avid plugin and Baselight (via AAF) so that you don't need to ever render out of Baselight.

This makes it great for tight deadlines where you're finishing on Avid but have a Baselight suite for grading. Last minute changes can be easily accommodated - whether it's a whole re-grade or just a couple of shots.

It's also worth mentioning that the plugin is free if you're only using it to view grades (from Baselight) in Avid. It's when you actually want to change a grade that you need the paid version. 

You can also run the paid licence in freelance mode, so that you can go to any workstation with MC (and Editions) and licence the plugin for a specific number of days. Once that expires, the licence becomes free to use on another setup.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 21 2021 6:44 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,445

This is a professional level, very powerful tool. It requires some work to learn, but there are excellent tutorials on the Baselight site. It is difficult, maybe impossible, to get good results without a decent surface - several options there. The Artist Color surface is outstanding, kind of ironic as it doesn't work well with the Symphony corrector. I have graded several prime time shows using Baselight, and while I'm sure real grading techs could do much better, the reults were pretty amazing. The new Base grade adddition in the latest release is quite innovative. Not cheap, but less than a few hours in a high end grading suite. If you don't need hign end tools, this isn't for you.

Dell T3600T 12 Cores 3.5 ghz Intel 32GRAM K4200 Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 21 2021 6:58 PM In reply to

We have some experience of using this and it's good althugh definitely a serious coplex grading tool.

We found a couple of tricky things - Once you are in the GUI there is no saving unless you do it manually so a big risk of losing things - which we did!

Also the user settings are tied to the windows user and not the Avid user which makes it very tricky to save setups for jobs or types of jobs.

Thats from my memory a year ago ish,,,

Importing BLG's to fix and amend shots from a full baselight works really well. And teh free read only plug in is a great idea if you have a few systems

Nige

25 MC 8.5 x Mostly PC Terrablock ISIS 1000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 21 2021 8:06 PM In reply to

I've been thinking of using this on the next series I'm working on to replace Symphony which is just painful sometimes. especially with anything relating to secondaries and shapes.  

How would you rate it speed wise when compared to the main selling point of Symph which is the relational corrections. Is is possible to have one correction apply to multiple clips in the timeline or do you have to copy paste grades to each new shot? And I believe you can have the output feed a client monitor, but can the output feed the full screen playback monitor as I'm working off a laptop and don't have a dedicated BOB for feeding an external monitor.  I feel like grading in a small interface window would be pretty pointless...

Thoughts?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 22 2021 2:01 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

Haven't used it in a while now, but they recently introduced a feature that is similar to the relational corrections in Symphony, so that you can apply grades to mutiple shots based on tape or clip name.

Although you can apply the Baselight effect on the clips themselves, having the Editions AVX effect on an empty layer above gives you more flexibility in the way you sub-divide the grades. Also makes exporting to/importing from a full Baselight system much easier.

You also have a scratchpad (based on the numberpad) that allows you to save/recall/compare grades. If your laptop doesn't have a numberpad, you may have to attach a separate keyboard.

There's the ability to have a full screen display of the graded shot (shortcut F8) on the display that contains the GUI.

Being layer based, you're normally looking at the whole stack of effects for a particular clip, but you can also view each individual layer if required.

There's also sub-divide features that allow you to grade a section of shots with a single grade and then sub-divide into individual clips for further refinement.

You don't need to exit the Baselight GUI to move between shots. Just use F5 or F6. There's also a mini timeline (called the shot bar) that allows you to navigate the timeline of grades.

I'd recommend a grading panel for real productivity. The Avid Artist Color works well (and doesn't use the Eucon software to connect) or one of the Tangent panels.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 22 2021 2:20 PM In reply to

Thanks Bruno. Definitely going to download the trial and give it a whirl. Just wish Avid could give us something even just a bit better than what we have now.  It sucks having to pay so much more money for things which I feel Avid should have built in.  The value proposition for MC right now is awful, if you want it to do anything more than edit then you have to pay for so much more stuff - mocha, boris fx, baselight, neat video, izotope etc. to really get the best out of it. I've been super disappointed with their recent updates too, nothing of note for months.  Very disheartening.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 22 2021 9:33 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    if you want it to do anything more than edit then you have to pay for so much more stuff - mocha, boris fx, baselight, neat video, izotope etc.
    You could look at Resolve. The free version gets you IMO Resolve  colour (Baselight equal), Fusion (BorisFx + Mocha), Fairlight (some say it is as good as Pro Tools for audio).

Resolve and MC coexist very comfortably on both W10 and Mac computers.  Downside is said to be round tripping. I disagree!  On the same computer here I export an AAF linked to the media.  Import the AAF into Resolve and the media links from the Avid MediaFiles folder with the AAF creating a timeline.  That same timeline opens in an edit page for minor adjustments, if required. Switch Tabs to the Fusion page for advanced FX and great keying. The same timeline is open there. For audio open the Fairlight tab and the timeline is there.  Changes in all of these tabs show up in all the other TABs with my cursor in the same spot I had it in the last tab I was working on.  To get back to MC their is a deliver tab. Here I chose the Avid export preset set your format and frame rate and select a (new) number folder in my  Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder.

Close Resolve and open my MC project. I make a new bin and drag the Resolve created AAF file from the number folder into the new bin. The bin populates with all of the treated clips. Opening the AAF gives me a timeline with all of your treated clips.   

Resolve does all of it's processing with the video card and you need at least 16GB's of RAM on it.  This may, in your case, make the cost similar to buying Baselight despite the free software . (or a once only cost for the Studio Version)  Free YouTube tutorials makes the learning curve easy IMO.

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 12:37 AM In reply to

I use resolve quite a lot for various tasks but it's still quite a lot of work to round trip when compared to having everything within the same system. Especially as the other two editors are both on Avid as well and we need to exchange cuts quite often.  Our sequences also have quite a lot of Avid created effects on them so I'm not sure how well that would translate via an AAF - how does it handle things like animattes or paint effects? Once I am finished on it, it will then go to another post house for final onlines and delivery so I also have to make sure that is as seamless as possible too. I certainly love Resolve for a lot of things but I have very minimal time to bounce around between programs. Avid's made a big fuss about being part of this Netflix Post Alliance but as a finishing tool, it currently sucks.

They own Protools and they had DS, I don't get why they couldn't have integrated more of their features in to MC. Here we are in 2021 and I'm still waiting on sub-frame audio.

• Wed, Jun 23 2021 1:27 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    I'm still waiting on sub-frame

I think we got what we're gonna get, When MC's Audio Slip finally appeared a while back, I realized I could make a bin of 1/2 frame Audio Slip FX that worked pretty good- just had to drag and drop one onto the clip on the timeline. It could easily have been finer... 1/4th or 1/8th of a frame slipped left or right. It sort of worked.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 23 2021 6:14 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    Our sequences also have quite a lot of Avid created effects on them so I'm not sure how well that would translate via an AAF - how does it handle things like animattes or paint effects?
    Sorry I do not know.  These days MC remains my NLE of choice for cutting. For everything beyond this basic cut I export AAF's for Resolve and Pro Tools.  Works for me but then I do not have two other editors to worry about. 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller