Latest post Wed, May 29 2013 6:18 PM by anamorphic. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 10:24 PM

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 9 2010
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

ScriptSync Error: The File Could not be Created

Is this happening to anyone else?   I keep getting the same error message "error syncing: the file could not be created."   I've used scriptsync successfully for years, but suddenly with this new version I can't get it to work at all.

I've tried every possible script formatting for text-(Mac, Unix, Win, UTF-8), and I've tried multiple different audio sources.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Media Composer and scriptsync.   I've written short test scripts and consolidated media and fixed and changed my drive permissions.    

Avid tech support spent hours on the phone with me and couldn't figure it out.  They've elevated the problem to their software engineers.  

I'm using Media Composer 5.53 and OS X 10.6.8 and ScriptSync 1.0  

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem and if there are possible workarounds?

Thanks!

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:15 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: ScriptSync Error: The File Could not be Created

Try making a subclip a few seconds shorted at both start and end and try that.

Michael

24p.com

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:59 AM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Thanks for the suggestion Michael.  I've tried subclips of a variety of lengths, all to no avail.  However, the one "workaround" I'm aware of is to place paragraph-sized subclips through the whole script.  The subclips won't sync to the script, but you can double-click on each subclip and it will take you to the start of that individual subclip.  It's a way, albeit tedious, to use the script to get close to a spot on a clip.

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:05 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,262
    • Points 16,000
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi RaoulR -- Not sure if this is the issue, but you should downgrade your OS back to 10.7. 

From the MC5.5.3 Readme notes:

"This release of the editing application supports Macintosh OS v10.7. This release is qualified with local storage only and Avid shared storage qualification is ongoing."

I'd start there.  The problem could very well persist, but you're in uncharted territory right now.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:17 AM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Hi,

Thanks.  I'm staying away from Lion for that reason.  Right now I'm still at OS 10.6.8  Should I downgrade lower than that?

Appreciate it.

Raoul

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:55 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,262
    • Points 16,000
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom

Oops, sorry... misread your original post as 10.8... I read too many posts today.  Nevermind.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:55 AM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

I wonder if it's possible to download the trial version of scriptsync and try that because the purchased version is not working?  The thing that befuddles me is I'm not working at a version beyond others in the Avid community.  Someone else just wrote me to say they had to just use scriptsync on someone else's computer to get it to work after they got this same error.  

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 4:31 AM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

OK.  I'm getting close to figuring it out.   I need some advice.

Some progress I'm happy to report.  I tried installing MC and ScriptSync on another external hard drive (with the same version of Mac OSX on it).   Running from another drive, it worked!  But of course I need it installed on my faster, internal Mac Pro hard drive.  

So there must be something that's not completely uninstalling from my internal hard drive.  I tried trashing my MediaComposer preference files (using Preference Manager), and I created a new user name and settings, but when I reinstalled MC and SS on my internal hard drive I still had the same problem!  Here's a clue perhaps.  When I installed MC and ScriptSync (SS) on my external drive, I had to enter the system ID and license numbers of course.  But when I reinstall MC and SS on my internal hard drive the system ID and license numbers are automatically filled-in.  So the system is remembering data even when I uninstall.  Is there a way of doing a complete uninstall that might remove whatever it is that is continuing to keep SS giving me an error message?  Obviously using just the Avid Uninstaller is not enough.  Is there something else that I'm missing, like zapping the PRam?  (After uninstalling MC, I did run Disk Utility to fix the permissions, btw).

What am I missing?  thanks!

Raoul

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac

If you've got a licensed copy of ScripSync call Avid at 800-800-AVID, option 2 and ask for installation assistance.  It should be a free call if you haven't contacted them before.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:19 PM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

PROBLEM SOLVED!:

It's a question of sharing/permission and privileges on the hard drive in which MC and scriptsync are installed.  I had read and write privileges on the drive that I use for media creation, but not administrator read and write privileges on the internal hard drive on which MC and SS were installed.  Once I gave administrator read and write privileges on that drive, the error disappeared and scriptsync worked.

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 2:40 AM In reply to

• drworld
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 26 2006
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

We are running into the same problem.  Can you be more specific as to how you changed permissions?  Did you add R&W permissions for Administrators for the entire hard drive?  Is there a smaller set of folders that are possible to change -- I'm a little concerned about changing permissions for the entire drive.

Thanks for any info about what you did!

- David 

D.R. -- World Berkeley, CA
  • Sat, Oct 29 2011 2:55 AM In reply to

• RaoulR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Hi David,

I changed permissions to RW for everyone and for the administrator on the system hard drive and the media drives.  If that gets scriptsync going, you might then be able to determine what level of permission you need to set by closing down writing priveges for "everyone" etc...  Good luck. 

Raoul

• Wed, May 29 2013 6:18 PM In reply to

This worked for me, although I'm not crazy about changing my internal hard drive's permissions.  I'll probably change them back after I've broken down the script.

MacPro (2019) 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W / 64 GB RAM / OS 10.15.3 / MC 2020.2 / Symphony, PhraseFind, ScriptSync, BCC 8 AVX; Mocha Pro [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller