Latest post Tue, Aug 2 2011 11:41 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:55 PM

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

If I install Pro tools 9, will it mess up my MC 5 at all?

I've heard about problems with digidesign files that mess up MC sometimes. I understand I can't run them both at the same time but just wanted to check before I installed.

• Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:58 PM In reply to

Re: If I install Pro tools 9, will it mess up my MC 5 at all?

You need to install PT9 first, then MC5, so MC will overwrite some of the common files with the version that MC needs. Check this document.

I have MC5.5/PT9 installs on PC and Mac, and they work fine for me.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 8:18 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Job ter Burg:
    You need to install PT9 first, then MC5, so MC will overwrite some of the common files with the version that MC needs. Check this document.

I have MC5.5/PT9 installs on PC and Mac, and they work fine for me.

Well said Job ter Burg. Glad i checked. Many thanks.

• Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:08 PM In reply to

Cool. If you already have MC installed: deactivate and uninstall it. Install PT, then install and activate MC.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:57 PM In reply to

• Helena Trix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • Pretoria, South Africa
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,460

I just want to say that this is very amateuristic programming on Avids side. If there IS a problem Avid should take out the hands of the users then this must be number 1.

A guide to install Pro Tools and Media Composer on one system because they error with eachother? Come on guys...... that's just beyond ridiculous.

NEVERTHELESS. Thank you Job Ter Burg for your explanation. Because we have to face it at the moment.

Mac Pro 32GB Lion MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 11:12 PM In reply to

Actually, I'm not sure that they WILL error with each other, but that they MIGHT. However, I sure hope that one day, it will be more easy. I also feel that Avid could more agressively market PT-soft as a companion to Media Composer. Having them both on a system is just super. When I'm in a mix, I can bring a MacBookPro with MC and PT, and I have instant access to all media, bins, sequences, audio and PT sessions. That has already proven to be very useful and even valuable.

The step forward has been that - for some time - the two applications were not at all supported when coinstalled. Since MC3.5, coinstall has been possible (with some strict limitations concerning versions and install order).
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 11:41 PM In reply to

What I didn't like about the rules for coinstall is that if one program is giving you problems and you need to reinstall it, there is a good chance that you will have to uninstall both programs. It was also not all that clear how patches and updates are handled.

So while I've definitely heard of people using them effectively on the same machine, I decided to do a dual boot setup. It took some time to get all the info on how make one (I'm running Win XP). But it's been working very nicely. And I have to say that I've grown to really like having a dual boot mahcine in general.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller