Latest post Tue, Apr 19 2011 3:11 PM by Kevin Klimek. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:12 PM

New avid user. Couple general questions concerning 7d workflow

Hello, 

I am a new MC5 user coming from FCP.  I am embarking on a 7d feature edit, and had a couple general questions.  I have read several threads on AMA and importing.  If I understand properly, importing creates completely new files in a seperate folder.  This means whatever files import, I am essentially doubling (well not quite since they are compressed) but still taking up a whole lot more space than I would using AMA correct?  I am cutting on an Imac 3.06.  It is also my impression that AMA takes more processing power than editing from dnx files from what I've read.

So my general question would be, for a a feature length film, would you suggest importing the footage or using AMA link?  Also, if I were to transcode via MPEG streamclip to dnx then import into avid, would it still make another folder of copied files which would give me essentially 3 copies of the files (h.264, streamclip dnx, and imported copies)? 

Sorry if the questions are all over the place.  Once I actually start cutting, I feel like more will make sense, its just the difference in workflow, that I want to make sure I understand before cutting.

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:23 PM In reply to

Re: New avid user. Couple general questions concerning 7d workflow

I would strongly suggest AMAing your clips for first import, and transcoding the clips you want to edit with.  (If you can cull through some clips you know you don't need, you can save time by not transcoding them.)

But you will see a marked performance improvement if you transcode to DNxHD 36 (if 1080p/23.976).  You will be able to relink to the original files at the end and then conform the film at a higher resolution.

HTH

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:39 PM In reply to

So essentially, I would AMA  during the "AE" process, and then transcode all the files that are left in the bin, after logging, subclipping etc... but before starting the sequence, and then relinking the finished sequence to conform to a higher resolution for Color Correction and/or export correct?  And afterwards, I'd have no problem exporting omf for the audio mixer?

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:49 PM In reply to

You'll have to see when is the best point to transcode.  I am currently trying to cut a 90-minute interview down to 2 minutes with AMA Canon footage.  It's sluggish, even in yellow mode on a Fibre-channel drive.  But the more I cut down now, the less I have to sit and watch transcode.  You'll have to weigh the performance issues vs. transcode time.

Once you re-AMA and re-transcode for final, you can output an OMF or AAF.  You can't do that with AMA-linked footage at this time, but when you re-transcode you'll be able to do so.

The advantage to doing it this way is that you can transcode only your final sequence at the end, so you'll only be working with shortened clips.  If you run MPEG Streamclip in advance, make low-res QTs and import the old-fashioned way, you'll have to re-import the entire clips you use in the end, instead of just the portions in your sequence.

Hope that makes sense...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:29 PM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,955

Kevin,

I'm also about to start a fairly sizable project with 30 hours of 5D footage. Do you feel like transcoding is critical for performance in that situation too? Thx.

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.6.4, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 2:28 AM In reply to

Absolutely you should transcode if your going to start a long form edit. It will be so much more stable and a joy to work with.

30 hrs is only about 500 GB at DnX 36. Get yourself a nice Firewire or eSATA external drive. Do the transcode and then put the orignal media on the shelf for safety.

Better still, put two 1.5TB SATA drives inside your machine and Raid them together. It can easily handle the largest of projects and is not expensive.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:55 AM In reply to

One more important question.  For a dvd delivery project, should I import as RGB 709? or YCbcr?

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:57 AM In reply to

Ok, another question.  While I'm naming and logging footage, I noticed that I could not enter anything into the "Reel" category.  I tried modify source and that changed my "tape" info.  No biggie.  I just used the tape id column to identify the source folder.

Now, when I add an in point to the AMA'd clip, will avid retain post transcode for synching purposes?  Or will it cut the clip to start there (which is not what I want) and do I need to go back over the clips and ad clapper in points post transcode.  

Thanks for your help guys.

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:13 PM In reply to

Stick to YCbcr 601/709 for the format of your project.

Let AMA handle the conversion of source colour space to project colour space. I believe in the 5.5 you can overide the AMA colour space handling if you desire. In my experience the 7D footage is RGB so you should choose that for the footage you bring in.

When you come to make a DVD you can choose to export out to RGB or 601/709. It really depends on what software you are going to use to encode the DVD. Many DVD programs assume RGB for import so a quick test of both export types is in order. And don't forget to test your final DVD on a seperate player hooked up to a TV.

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:16 PM In reply to

I'm not sure if this has changed in 5.5 but previously if you modified a tape name of AMA clips and you subsequently moved the source files to a new location on your system it was impossible to relink them.

My advice is don't modify anything except the clip name until you do some tests.

It won't cut the clip when you transcode but it will lose the inpoint I believe. Maybe you should add markers instead that you can quickly remark later. Or you could sync while still with AMA media and relink the sunc clips to the new transcoded media afterwards.

Lastly. test! test! test! before you dive into a new workflow.

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 7:08 PM In reply to

Ok, if I chose RGB, is it possible to change to YCbcr afterwards or should I just start over?  Also, after not having luck with the "modify source"test, I deleted the bin and re-imported (ama'd) the footage.  That should give me a clean slate no?  

Does anyone have an explanation on why I can't use the reel column?  I searched the web, and didn't see anything.  And is there any problem with me using the "tape ID" column as my own reel id column?  I'm just basically giving an ID that points to the folder with the orgininal file.  FCP does this automatically in the log and transfer function or just updates all clips that share the same folder once you manually add a reel number should you use another method of transcoding.

• Sat, Mar 26 2011 3:38 AM In reply to

If you can start over, I would do so to make sure that the AMA is interpreting correctly.

I remember in my test I could modify the tapeID column without problems. You can always create custom columns of your own to store data. One thing I did was to copy the original name columnn to a custom column so I could change the name to something usefull.

To copy a column select it at the top and hit CMD-D.

• Sat, Mar 26 2011 8:08 PM In reply to

Yikes! I'm a day into logging.  I had read on an article online that the colorspace could be changed in a project at any time.  Let me ask you this.  If I were to re-import the footage, could I just copy the bin info from the one bin's colum to another, which would be a copy of the same footage but imported after the change of color space?

• Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:22 PM In reply to

This may be getting out of my range of experience. Are you talking about the colour space choice when you first set up a project? The RGB option was only recently added and I haven't used it but I don't think you can change the project type once you have set it up

If you haven't transcoded anything yet you should be able to start a new project and open the bins you have made in the RGB project. Back up your RGB project before doing this!

Copy your clips over to new bins in your new project and you should be able to carry on with your logging.

• Tue, Apr 19 2011 1:10 PM In reply to

Ok, so I finished cutting in dnx36.  Im not exactly clear how I transcode the final sequence to the higher res clips.  I selected my sequence and chose "relink".  That created a new sequence that said "relink" but nothing transcoded or converted.  Which step am I missing? 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller