Latest post Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:00 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:46 PM

Relinking non-AMA sequences does not work unless bins are open. Why?

So if you are working with AMA media when it comes time to relink for your online or whatever you need to open the AMA bins in order for Avid to see the media.  Makes perfect sense.  We are working on a file-based (XDCAM EX) show at the moment where we have stored all the original XDCAM media (Avid indexed) on a 8TB local RAID.  This is the media we are going to link back to in the online.  From here we've transcoded to 20:1MXF for the offline.  Why is it that even though the RAID is linked and media is online that just choosing to relink the sequence doesn't work until i open all the online media bins associated with it?  The media is attached and Avid sees the RAID so why the hassle of opening a boat load of bins before i can relink?  This will, 99% of the time cause the sequence to fully relink, which is a beautiful thing to watch, but i would enjoy it so much more if i didn't have to labouriuosly open 50+ bins to get it to work.  Does anyone know why, when media is attached that I need to do this?  What is the process Avid is going through?  Is opening the bins refreshing some sort of file path information?

System is a Nitris DX, Symph version 4.0.5, HP XW8600, 8TB G-Tech RAID connected via E-Sata, Vista Business 64bit.  Also attached are an ISIS 5000 via ethernet and a Unity Media Array via Fibre.

Any thoughts appreciated,

cheers,

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 7:59 AM In reply to

Re: Relinking non-AMA sequences does not work unless bins are open. Why?

If the AMA bins aren't open the AMA media isn't actually online at all. Unlike Avid MXF (or OMF) media that lives in structured folders and is indexed by Avid and managed by Avid AMA media is only available when you mount an AMA volume. Then Avid indexes the media in that folder and it's available.

When you initially mounted those folders Avid spent a bit of time looking through the files and making them available and while those AMA bins are open in the project you can access and play that AMA media.

If you cut direct AMA into a sequence and then close the AMA bins the media goes offline.

The media is only available to you with closed bins if you've already transcoded to an Avid resolution, as you have.

So for Avid to be able to re-link it needs those AMA bins to be re-opened and the AMA media re-indexed and then it can re-link.

If you have set up your AMA files in the right structure and set the correct AMA bin settings you can just point to the top of the AMA file tree and all the sub folders will open in separate bins. This may take a while but is a small price to pay for the advantages AMA can bring.

Hope that helps.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:28 PM In reply to

Hi Pat, sorry, i dont think you read my post correctly, i am saying that i am not using AMA, i understand why those bins need to be open, but what i am saying is that i am using non-AMA material on an external RAID which is indexed by avid i.e. the media is within an Avid MediaFiles folder.  We were basically importing the XDCAM EX footage, not AMAing it in because that workflow was not effiencient for the amount of footage we were receiving (a LOT!) so all the online media is stored as MXF wrapped XDCAM, it should be available - indeed if i open any of the original media bins the media is online.  But when i try to relink a sequence to the online material - which is visible to Avid - the sequence will not relink until i have opened ALL the corresponding bins.  The media is indexed so why can't Avid relink without me opening the bins?  It is like i have to do the AMA thing even though we didn't use AMA.  This is what i'd like to know, why is relink still such a black art sometimes?! 

cheers,

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:00 PM In reply to

Anyone from Avid know why this happens?  Would be good if it didn't, not knowing that you need to open the bins means i get a lot of calls from people saying they can't relink the sequence.  Opening the bins solves this but is not immediately obvious to someone who, for example, hasn't done a file-based conform before.  Again, this is Avid indexed media NOT AMA material. 

Cheers,

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller