Latest post Mon, Jan 3 2011 10:39 PM by Howard. 111 replies.
Page 7 of 8 (112 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:19 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,595

Re: patch 5.0.3.7 breaks copy to clipboard and load to source monitor

I must admit that I, too, begin to wonder about the QA when much used and high priority tools like quick dissolves and copy/paste shortcuts get broken. It makes no sense, to me, to fix one problem with a patch and introduce a second, more glaring fubar. What are these myriad of people testing, if not often used and necessary tools? I could understand a nebulous, special case tool not being tested, but, when something as important as copy-to-clipboard? Well, I think that's the point, here.

It begins to sound like "patch" releases are sorta, kinda like beta releases. When accepted on this basis, the concept of downloading and installing a patch release takes on a different character.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

cuervo:
    It begins to sound like "patch" releases are sorta, kinda like beta releases. When accepted on this basis, the concept of downloading and installing a patch release takes on a different character.

And I think it is fair to ask for Avid management to comment on that statement in the new year.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:59 PM In reply to

• Lemuriatv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 5 2008
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 229
    • Points 2,810

Thank you Marianna for your huge reply. i will wait for next patch.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2,66 GHz, 8 GB RAM,NVIDIA Quadro K5200, 4 TB for video (2 TB in Raid), Win7ProCZ, MC 7.0.7 DONGLE Matrox MXO2 mini + second system... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:18 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

ow long would it take you, as one person, to test 10 flavors of AMA linking, transcoding, consolidating, each trim function, each copy/paste function, each bin display function, each upconvert, downconvert, cross convert, frame-rate convert, raster convert, smart tool function, splice/overwrite function, 24p change list function, pulldown insertion, pulldown removal...

and could any of you safely say you tested EVERYTHING 100%?

Dont forget that all of that (and more) then needs to be tested across 3 versions of Windows OS and 2 versions of Mac OS.

Maybe it is my failing memory but for me Avid used to be much better at this than it has been with the most recent patches.   But then maybe the dirty laundry is just so much more exposed as we speed along the information (overload) highway today

Happy New Year to one and all

• Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• Bernd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • De Wijk / The Netherlands
    • Posts 253
    • Points 3,390

..... and if the new patch is on the download site, please don't forget to update this page as well. Otherwise we don't get an alert automatically ...

MC 5.5.3 | QT 7.6.9 | Win7 Ult 64x | Asus P8Z68-V PRO | Intel i7-2600k | Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | Graphics Card ATI4870x2 2GB | C-drive 128GB SSD CRUCIAL... [view my complete system specs]

Learning by Doing Smile

• Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:44 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Dont forget that all of that (and more) then needs to be tested across 3 versions of Windows OS and 2 versions of Mac OS.

Oh yeah, and make sure it all works with ISIS, MediaNet, standalone storage, and Interplay... and make sure all THAT stuff still works along with testing the some 4000 other featurs that people like me only scratch the surface of in my daily routine (which for me does not always include Copy to clipboard and load in source, i tend to be a matchframe person)

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:20 AM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,115

Kenton.VanNatten:

However, having been away from Avid QA since late 2008 and knowing that there have been a lot of staff reductions and process changes since my time there I am not comfortable speaking to how the QA process is handled now.  I do know that the small 5 person team that I was on before I was let go was understaffed considering we were handling field issues from around the globe. 

I wonder how many are left now,This always seems to be the problem when revenue is shrinking the first to go are the QC folks, some things dont change.Sad I cant wait for MC-6.

On a positive note Happy New Year & Good Health To All. Cool

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Fri, Dec 31 2010 10:17 AM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 21 2005
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,710

Saylur:

.... some things dont change.Sad I cant wait for MC-6.

My thoughts on this whole situation are summed up by these two quotes

"nothing changes if nothing changes"

"insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results."

MC5.0.3.8, win7 64 pro, Matrox mini 02, Gigabit X58A mb, i7 Q930 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 6Gb 1066 ram, 2 1Tb video HD, 500gb 7200 system HD, 1tb... [view my complete system specs]

SussexJohn

• Fri, Dec 31 2010 2:40 PM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,090

Dear Larry,

while I might not meet the spec of a "longtime veteran" editor I'm a keen observer and would be willing to help.

Sign me up.

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 31 2010 3:46 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    I'm not particularly interested in talking about the next major version of MC when it seems as though Avid never did deliver a fully working MC 5. Some of you have mentioned the next version of MC as (possibly) the version that will fix all the failings of MC 5 - I've played this game of tag with other software products and I can tell you that it is most unsatisfying.

My confidence in Avid has absolutely been shaken by MC 5. Every indication points to a less than optimal development / test cycle. I have no reason to believe that this will change with the next major version release. I wonder how Avid will build confidence back into its install base.

Okay, but in a little fairness to Avid, MC 5 may not have been fully baked, but this wasn't your typical a la carte dish either. This was more like a meal from soup to nuts. MC 5 was a very significant upgrade, and who knows what changes may be going on under the hood to facilitate things like 2 and 4K projects and porting to 64-bits.

If we want significant improvements to MC, then we have to accept the fact that adding new features usually means introducing bugs. But hopefully never again removing time tested features and established modes of operation.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Fri, Dec 31 2010 3:55 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 480
    • Points 5,865

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Okay, but in a little fairness to Avid, MC 5 may not have been fully baked, but this wasn't your typical a la carte dish either. This was more like a meal from soup to nuts.

Wonderful... you got it in a nutshell.Smile

MC2018.1 (Win7) | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 64GB (32GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 31 2010 3:55 PM In reply to

Just wanted to chime in a bit. In the past, I too have sometimes been frustrates by certain bugs, as far back as the Meridien days, therefore I'm not so sure that any of this is new or unusual or that different from the past. In the ABVB and Meridien days, it was much harder to even get CPR's or patches, you needed to go through tech support to get them.

That said, I'm very thankful for a community like this. A lot of issues are brought to the attention of Avid, and a lot of folks are helpful in finding ways to reproduce bugs, thereby speeding up the process of getting them fixed.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:39 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,332
    • Points 53,555

Good flow,

It has to be remembered that most post here for the purpose of requesting assistance, lending assistance, commenting on trends, both industry wide, and specific to Avid.

It has been said for every one customer that complains, ten just walk away angry, never to return.

This forum, as irritating that it may be at times for Avid to read, is an unparalleled source of information and product QC. People set aside time, both Mods and users to comment negatively and positively to the process of product development. At times, the comments can be acidic, and at times some Avid loyalists feel that Avid is unfairly being attacked.

What we all must remember, is that the market is much less tolerant of downward trends within a product, ultimately the producer of the product, than a few over the top posts here.

Hopefully, the results of these not quite ready for primetime patches have received the proper attention of upper management.

Personally, I think it is a case of too few people trying to do too much in too short of a timeframe. I am sure more of the forum community would willingly aid Avid in the process of confirming the completeness of patch releases. There is little in the way of competitive secrets in these releases to be lost to competitors.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:51 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,681
    • Points 61,190

BobbyMurcerFan:

BarkinMadd:
    I'm not particularly interested in talking about the next major version of MC when it seems as though Avid never did deliver a fully working MC 5. Some of you have mentioned the next version of MC as (possibly) the version that will fix all the failings of MC 5 - I've played this game of tag with other software products and I can tell you that it is most unsatisfying.

My confidence in Avid has absolutely been shaken by MC 5. Every indication points to a less than optimal development / test cycle. I have no reason to believe that this will change with the next major version release. I wonder how Avid will build confidence back into its install base.

Okay, but in a little fairness to Avid, MC 5 may not have been fully baked, but this wasn't your typical a la carte dish either. This was more like a meal from soup to nuts. MC 5 was a very significant upgrade, and who knows what changes may be going on under the hood to facilitate things like 2 and 4K projects and porting to 64-bits.

If we want significant improvements to MC, then we have to accept the fact that adding new features usually means introducing bugs. But hopefully never again removing time tested features and established modes of operation.

I disagree. Please let me explain. Adding significant features does destabilize the product (I agree with you there), but knowing this, as all developers do, the testing cycle must be planned to be far more extensive and involve several iterations with an ever-increasing group of beta testers. We, as customers, are not beta testers. I think it is clear at this point that MC5 was not actually ready for prime-time when it was first released. Six months later it feels like it's starting to converge (hopefully soon). I suspect that Avid required revenue before the product was ready to generate it. My greatest concern is that Avid will lose a greater customer base due to problems with MC5 than they would have if they had delayed MC5. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 1 2011 4:13 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,390
    • Points 97,050

Back in the day when I was earning my living writing software I worked briefly (although it felt like an eternity) for a company whose release cycles were defined by the sales department.  They would announce a release date for a particular product/version, and then whatever condition that product was in when that date came round, it was wrapped and sold.

I know this sounds like purest fiction, but trust me, it most definitely wasn't.  That company is no longer active in Australia, although I believe that the UK arm is still going strong.  Part of the reason for withdrawing was the poor name their software-based products attained.

It sounds even less reasonable when you add that as the inevitable bugs in delivered product showed up, individual programmers would be confronted by a red-faced sales manager furious with them for (as he always put it) deliberately sabotaging the sales effort.

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened with MC5, but to me it does appear that a deadline was proposed that the developers simply couldn't meet.  And it certainly appears that the product was put out in time for NAB because that's what Sales needed.  Whatever the truth is, I'm certainly uneasy about the effect that this ongoing bungle is having on Avid's reputation.

I don't want fast patches, I want reliable patches.  I'm entirely with you BarkinMadd.

BarkinMadd:
    We, as customers, are not beta testers ... My greatest concern is that Avid will lose a greater customer base due to problems with MC5 than they would have if they had delayed MC5.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 7 of 8 (112 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller