Latest post Mon, Jan 3 2011 10:39 PM by Howard. 111 replies.
Page 2 of 8 (112 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:40 PM In reply to

Re: patch 5.0.3.7 breaks copy to clipboard and load to source monitor

AndrewAction:
    put a patch through it's paces and supply feed back.

Are Patches not part of the Beta program?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:50 PM In reply to

The Beta program is for full releases.  The product moves from Alpha to Beta, then to Gold.  Here's the caveat on the Patch Releases page (emphasis added):

What is an Avid Editor Patch?

An Avid Editor Patch is an update for Avid products intended to address specific problems. Because patch testing involves a limited test cycle, they should only be used when a specific issue has been resolved in that respective patch. If at any time you are unsure whether a specific patch addresses your issue, check the accompanying ReadMe for verification. If the ReadMe does not mention your specific issue, you are encouraged to not install the patch. Patch updates are cumulative- the current patch usually includes all prior updates. Please note: Installation of patch software components may result in loss of data, loss of media, or other system problems.

Please note that patch files are not always offered for each version of software.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,803
    • Points 225,635
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Randall L Rike:
    If the ReadMe does not mention your specific issue, you are encouraged to not install the patch.

Which sounds like good advice, except for 1 thing.
    Let us say that the patch does fix my specific issue.
    So I install it , only to find that new functions have been broken in the process of fixing my specific issue.

Unfortunately the latest batch of patches seem to be " 3 steps forward and 1 step back"

Here's hoping things will be more stable in 2011.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:05 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    An Avid Editor Patch is an update for Avid products intended to address specific problems.

Randall L Rike:
    they should only be used when a specific issue has been resolved in that respective patch

Okay, so let's say 5.0.3.7 fixes an issue I have been having.  Now, I have to contend with some other new introduced problem (that was previously working).  I would have a different attitude towards this if Option+C was broken earlier and the fix was simply not included in 5.0.3.7, but the fact is that it works in 5.0.3.5 and it doesn't in 5.0.3.7.  So what is the customer to do?  Not take 5.0.3.7 and live with the bugs they know about in 5.0.3.5? or take 5.0.3.7 and potentially discover new bugs that weren't an issue in previous releases?  It just does not bode well towards one's confidence.  

My personal confidence is extremely low with any of these patches since 5.0.3.6 was recalled and pulled down from the site altogether less than a week after release.

EDIT:  It looks like Douglas and I are thinking the same thing!

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:08 PM In reply to

"... Unfortunately the latest batch of patches seem to be "3 steps forward and 1 step back" ..."

... or 1 step fwd, and 3 back, depending.  As mentioned, a very brief "mini beta program", where some of our trusted forum members could pound on the patch for 24-72 hours would certainly be a good move on Avid's part.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,803
    • Points 225,635
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton.VanNatten:
    It looks like Douglas and I are thinking the same thing!

Big Smile Yes

Looking at another bit of good advice that has been suggested, "Don't rush to install a new patch until you see if anyone is having problems with it, that they report on the forum!"

This does not work, unfortunately.
    It reminds me of the announcement at the end of a very well attended film premiere, " To avoid a crush at the exits, please remain seated until everyone else has left the theatre!"

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:18 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    Unfortunately the latest batch of patches seem to be " 3 steps forward and 1 step back"

A pattern like this seems to develop... question is why?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,334
    • Points 53,575

I would like to add that a wide swath of users should "experience" a patch. Even Humble HDV users, as evidenced by.6

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:25 PM In reply to

"... question is why? ..."

Lack of internal resources for testing.

BTW folks ... above, I was only quoting Avid's caveat, not endorsing it. Embarrassed

(wwld)

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:29 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    above, I was only quoting Avid's caveat, not endorsing it

I know and I was addressing it hypothetically as well.  But thanks for the clarification.  Smile

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:32 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    Lack of internal resources for testing.

It sounds very contradictory to my old fashioned ideas of Avid being broadcast or enterprice quality. Maybe something I need to get used to in these difficult economic times.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    My personal confidence is extremely low with any of these patches
    Mine has been since MC5.0  To the extent that I have felt obligated to setting aside an Avid qualified 8600 dedicated to being a testing platform for every Avid release.  Nothing goes into any production Avid here until everyone agrees the problems that new bugs bring in (those that we can find in our workflows) are less hassle than the benefits brought in by fixing existing bug.  (for example none of us here regularly use copy and paste to source monitor so 5.0.3.7 is looking like a step forward after initial tests)

Even so it is extremely dissappointing to have to spend so much unproductive time on all new releases after nearly 2 decades of having complete confidence to immediately install every new release from Avid without hesitation. Not to mention never regretting any of those spontaneous upgrade decisions before MC5.

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:47 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    2 decades of having complete confidence to immediately install every new release from Avid without hesitation. Not to mention never regretting any of those spontaneous upgrade decisions before MC5.

That's what I meant with "broadcast"Yes

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:53 PM In reply to

• bucur.marian
    • Not Ranked
    • Romania
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,250

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Until 5.0.3.8 will be released I would suggest Avid to update the Readme for 5.0.3.x with a short section: What is not working anymore in  5.0.3.x. At least users will decide what is the compromise.

I have to update at least 35 systems in the first weeks of 2011, 6 of them on MAC with software activation..it will be very painful to roll back all of them if users will discover new "benefits" of those patches.. Angry

Whatever the customer has :) [view my complete system specs]

ACSR Elite

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,803
    • Points 225,635
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jveekeres:
    A pattern like this seems to develop... question is why?

Jeroen,

From my lateral thinking point of view, it is not really important for us to know "Why?".
    What is important is that Avid find out "Why?" and then set about correcting the situation.

All of us, at some time or other in our lives, go through a bad patch. (Hrmm. was that a pun?)

Avid seems to be going through a bad patch at the moment.
    It happens in other NLEs as well.

I am looking forward to when things get better . . . . . .  again.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 2 of 8 (112 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller