Latest post Wed, Dec 8 2010 8:21 PM by Marcus Johnson. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 8 2010 7:07 PM

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 8 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Streaming to Skype/iChat?

My boss has asked me to research something which I am having difficulty finding results for, which has lead me to question if it's possible:

He wants to figure out if there is a way to stream our Avid via Skype, iChat or likewise program, so that we could show a client a cut over the internet in real-time instead of them having to be in the office.

Has anyone heard of this being done, or does anyone have experience setting it up themselves?

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Dec 8 2010 7:50 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Streaming to Skype/iChat?

I haven't tried it, but this is how I would approach it. Don't use Skype or iChat. IM software won't do it. You can share your computer screen through software like GoToMeeting, though. That allows you to broadcast your screen to everyone in the meeting (they will see everything on it and everything you do). The refresh rate isn't ideal for something like video playback, but it might just do the trick.

Of course, I have no idea how it would affect system performance so be sure to test everything thoroughly before going to a client with it! Also, let me know if it works!

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 8:13 PM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,305

I think this is a non-starter. You would have substitute the SKYPE camera with a feed from your production camera to accomplish a live stream,and then your video quality will degrade, even if you do get that far. Using screen sharing will not run video effectively - this is typically not a video stream, format..its usually a rapid fire screen snap process. Your best option is to compress the video and run it off a login area of your web sever, and text the link to them via SKYPE. If uploading to your web server is not an option, then USE a private you tube channel and delete the video when preview is finished. My preference is to load to my own web-server, have them preview it, and then do a SKYPE call while AVID is open so I can go direct to frames and sequences for discussion
    AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 8:15 PM In reply to

My suggestion would be to use Microsoft Expression Encoder 4: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Encoder4_Overview.aspx

The free version should do what you need. Output your video as a QuickTime file (you can do same as source, the Expression Encoder can read DnxHD .mov files), launch the Expression Encoder, and select "Live Broadcasting Project". Point it to your file, set a quality and encoding type for the stream, and under Output select Streaming and then Broadcast. This will set up whatever PC it's running on as a server, and you need to specify a server port to use. You might need to check with your IT support to make sure that that computer isn't behind a firewall, and to tell you what port to use. Make sure you know the IP address of that computer. To view the stream, have your client open Windows Media Player (make sure they have the latest version installed), then go to File -> Open Url, and the address will be mms://(ip address of computer):(port number). For instance, streaming it locally on my own computer, the address is mms://127.0.0.1:8000 

Hopefully that will work for you.

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

They probably also need to have Silverlight installed (it's also free):

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller