Latest post Wed, Jul 4 2018 1:00 AM by Telegram!. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:16 PM

• mikedz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 21 2010
    • Posts 48
    • Points 600

Create new bin inside a folder?

Hi,

Is it possible to create a new bin inside a particular folder without having to create it in the root first, then move it. There is no 'New Bin' option if you right click on a folder. How can I achieve this in one step?

Cheers,

Mike

Various versions of MC between v5.0.3.9 & 6.0.1.1, Mac Pro(Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3Ghz, 11 GB RAM) + various PC workstations. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:29 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Create new bin inside a folder?

Good thought, this would be handy to be able to do, but I haven't found a way to do it. There's nothing in the bin settings and I don't believe there is a settings file for folder set ups. Something to 'Allow Bin Creation Inside Folder' perhaps?

• Thu, Sep 23 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

• Nschauf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 8 2008
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 28
    • Points 230

The way you are describing is not.  Although you can do it at the finder/explorer window by duplicating an existing bin in the folder.

That feature, like so many other simple things Avid doesn't do, would be great.

_N

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX v5.5.7.C PC [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:42 PM In reply to

Hi Nschauf,

You mention duplicating bins using explorer... i jave tried this in the past but discovered that you cannot open more than one bin at once as the avid somehow knows that the bin is a clone (and thinks its the same). Do you know a way round this?

Thanks, Andy

• Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:04 PM In reply to

"... avid somehow knows that the bin is a clone  ..."

Correct, Avid will not open a second Bin, if it is currently named the same, or if it was "ever" named the same.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• Nschauf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 8 2008
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 28
    • Points 230

You are absolutely correct, if you duplicate an existing bin Avid will think it's the same and not open them at the same time.  But, you can still create a new folder in the explorer/finder window instead of duplicating one.  Avid will recognize this as a new folder.  Just be sure to name the folder something unique.  If you do need all the clips from another bin in the same new bin, open both of the bins and highlight clips and hold down ALT and drag them into new bin.  This creates clones of the clips and will not add ".coy01" to all them.

Hopes this helps

cheers

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX v5.5.7.C PC [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 23 2014 2:23 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,515

Have there been any developments on this in the four years since this question was posted?   I also feel my workflow is impeded by the inability to create bins within a sub-folder.

Avid Media Composer 2018.8 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 23 2014 3:28 PM In reply to

No development as yet.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 23 2014 11:45 PM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

+1 Would use this alll the time.  Always dragging created bins into folders.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Mon, May 25 2015 4:45 AM In reply to

Same here.... I just moved from FCP after 10 years. Loving it but this would be an extremly wonderful feature for media management. I'm cutting a 10 min piece right now and it's already an issue.

Thanks.
    Chris. 

• Sun, Oct 25 2015 11:40 AM In reply to

This would be amazing to implement.

Please do it, I don't want to go to Premiere Pro.

Mac Pro 5.1 - Avid Media Composer 8.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:12 PM In reply to

This is hilarious. 

This thread has been open for EIGHT years.  They do a monthly update to the software (according to their developer), and they still don't have this feature?

I'm laughing, then crying, then laughing, then crying, then making a new folder, naming it, finding it in the Project, and dragging it into the folder i want it to be in.  Zoiks. 

Windows 3.1 had more advanced management tools, lol.

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:30 PM In reply to

Well some of us remember when folders were added as a feature. Prior to that all your bins lived in one massive list in the folder window. Then folders were added later. Tahts why you can search for a bin by name but not a folder. MC doesn't see them.

That will be why, I suspect, you can't crate a bin directly in a folder as MC is still working folder blind.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 1:00 AM In reply to

chapmattman:
    making a new folder, naming it, finding it in the Project, and dragging it into the folder i

You might try to outwit the machine by Naming your new Folder with a “!” to place it at the tippy top of your Folders. If you follow that logic, you could remember to Name all your Projects starting with the letter “Z”, or just pre-load a huge pile of new bins in Folders named “!” and also “Z” so that your dragging distance is kept to a minimum. But that said, it is funny and absurd... with the joke on all of us. I would love to hear ANY tricks to drive the dragging time down. 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller