Latest post Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:32 PM by Larry Rubin. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:52 PM

need space on hds - orphaned OMFs, Mxfs and aifs

There is a number of OMF, MXF folders on my external hard drives. When I open them I can tell only for a part of the files which projects they relate to. Is there any way to import all the available files in a new project so that I can delete whatever I don't need anymore? These files are jamming my hds. I TRIED THE MEDIA TOOL but only a few, mainly the latest mxfs showed up. Some of the files were created in my former versions of Avid xpress, is that an issue? 

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:32 PM In reply to

Re: need space on hds - orphaned OMFs, Mxfs and aifs

The first place to start would be to rebuild the media database files and then run the media tool again, in the "all projects" mode, with a customized bin view that shows project association. Use this view in the bin the media tool creates. Then highlight the project column and bin>sort to cluster files by project.  BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING THIS MODE. An couple of errant keystrokes can blow away all media for all projects, or randomly punch media offline holes in various projects.

To rebuild the media database, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller