Latest post Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:29 PM by Kirk Arnold. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 2:31 PM

• vince_429
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey - USA
    • Posts 32
    • Points 460

Avid.com store issues

I also tried to "get it" directly from the AVID store only to have the exact experience as pizzuti.

I checked the Avid store daily waiting for the "Media Composer 5 Software Upgrade -- Media Composer 4.x to 5 (Shippable Box)" to be "In-Stock". I placed the order, 2nd day FedEx, and received an order confirmation.
    I did not receive any emails or tracking information and obviously did not get the upgrade.

I emailed the AVID store and got the exact same response as pizzuti. The product was not available and my order has been cancelled.

What is going on at the AVID store?  Has the store been outsourced?

All my prior store orders have been problem free and emails from the store were from "store.avid@customerdirect.com".
    This time I noticed that the emails from the store are from shop.avid@arvatosystems.com and the address/contact info is;

John Gibson
    arvato systems NA, Inc.
    1700 Broadway 26th Floor
    New York, NY 10019

What/who is arvato systems NA, Inc.?

Since the upgrade pricing will increase on July 10 how can I order and be assured the special upgrade price?

I mean, if the store confirms my order and then never ships or contacts me and they cancel the order when I question where my order is!!!

I am very frustrated and now not even sure how to get the upgrade from AVID.
    (Sorry for the rant but just had to relieve some stress.)

Vince

MC 4.0.5, MOJO, HP xw8600, single XEON X5460, 12gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500, Allegro FW400 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 2:32 PM In reply to

• vince_429
    • Not Ranked
    • New Jersey - USA
    • Posts 32
    • Points 460

Re: test new post

I also tried to "get it" directly from the AVID store only to have the exact experience as  pizzuti.

I checked the Avid store daily waiting for the "Media Composer 5 Software Upgrade -- Media Composer 4.x to 5 (Shippable Box)" to be "In-Stock". I placed the order, 2nd day FedEx, and received an order confirmation.
    I did not receive any emails or tracking information and obviously did not get the upgrade.

I emailed the AVID store and got the exact same response as pizzuti. The product was not available and my order has been cancelled.

What is going on at the AVID store?  Has the store been outsourced?

All my prior store orders have been problem free and emails from the store were from "store.avid@customerdirect.com".
    This time I noticed that the emails from the store are from shop.avid@arvatosystems.com and the address/contact info is;

John Gibson
    arvato systems NA, Inc.
    1700 Broadway 26th Floor
    New York, NY 10019

What/who is arvato systems NA, Inc.?

Since the upgrade pricing will increase on July 10 how can I order and be assured the special upgrade price?

I mean, if the store confirms my order and then never ships or contacts me and they cancel the order when I question where my order is!!!

I am very frustrated and now not even sure how to get the upgrade from AVID.
    (Sorry for the rant but just had to relieve some stress.)

Vince

MC 4.0.5, MOJO, HP xw8600, single XEON X5460, 12gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500, Allegro FW400 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 4 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

Moving this thread from test posts to the "Chat with Avid" Forum. I have also renamed this post for accuracy of report.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 4 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

Avid.com store issues

Renaming post

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 4 2010 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Avid.com store issues

Also answered in your other post, Vince:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/84748/486755.aspx#486755

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jul 4 2010 10:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,607
    • Points 223,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

vince_429:

I placed the order, 2nd day FedEx, and received an order confirmation.

This illustrates something that I have mentioned in a post about the extra burden that is being placed on the shoulders of Marianna, Todd and Larry because of key areas of Avid's functionality that do not function!

According to Arvatosystems own website:

"Our staff develop and operate solutions and systems that are specifically designed with the processes of our customers, the advantages of end users, and high security standards in mind."

"All services are managed and coordinated centrally by a key account manager for the convenience of our customers."

etc. etc.

This is a lot of baloney! The Store cannot even do a simple task like take back-orders.

I hope that the powers that be in the Avid organisation have been looking at this problem and are now trying to rectify it.

A solution would probably reduce the pressure on Marianna and Todd by about 50 to 60%.

Getting the registration of products working correctly would reduce the pressure by another 30% or so.

Leaving Todd and Marianna with some time to lead normal lives again....... and let Larry go to bed sometimes, instead of sitting up all hours replying to users on the Forums with Purchase/Registration problems.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jul 8 2010 4:57 PM In reply to

• Mark Heier
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 8 2010
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

There was supposed to be some serious butt kickin' yesterday with Avid being the foot and Arvato being on the receiving end about this very same issue. My experience was as bad as yours and maybe worse.

By the way, did you know that Arvato translated from Spanish to English is "don't go there."

mark

MacPro Dual Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 6 GB RAM 6TB Storage Dual 30" Apple Cinema Displays [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 8 2010 4:59 PM In reply to

phxvideo:

By the way, did you know that Arvato translated from Spanish to English is "don't go there."

Too bad Avid didn't know that before the contract was let!

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 5:04 AM In reply to

• Le Maitre
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 11 2009
    • England
    • Posts 57
    • Points 665

Ah John Gibson, a name that I know well. He says things like:

"In any case you need to know that the people how bought the Liquid to media composer 4 box, got the version 4 of production suite and in order to have the newer version they need to update the same as if buying the V5 of production suite." This was the reason he gave when they did not have any of those boxed upgrades in stock so as to justify the MC5 download alternative instead. When I pointed out that MC4-MC5 upgraders do NOT need to upgrade their Production Suite he replied, "I honestly dont know, we are not that product knowledgeable".

When I asked him about the price increases he said "As far as i've looked into this. On the 1st of july there was a price change in all europe not only GB. But it has nothing to do with the increase of the 10th of july".  Then "Regarding increases i just found out that actually the one performed on the 1st is going to be, in the end, the only one. They cancelled the up price of the 10th for europe, the only left it for the American store. As far as we know something to do with the exchange rate".

So I waited to upgrade my Avid as I want to upgrade my computer first. THEN I got this email.  "First of all I would like to apologize for this long and unprofessional communication....All Prices will increase as of July 10th. The change you noticed on July 1st was related to an internal communication error on our end (prices were shown net prices for the first days) for which I also want to apologize".

So today the price has gone up 155 Euros for the upgrades ONLY and I didn't order because they said it wouldn't!

The email finished off by saying "Again, sorry for all the confusion, and I hope we can still work together to keep you as a satisfied customer".

I will personally never use the Avid Store again if I can possibly help it!

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU, 8GB RAM, Quadro 4000, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, DeckLink Studio 2, DIGI002 desk, Plextor Bluray writer, Win-7 Ultimate 64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 5:20 AM In reply to

phxvideo:

There was supposed to be some serious butt kickin' yesterday with Avid being the foot and Arvato being on the receiving end about this very same issue. My experience was as bad as yours and maybe worse.

This is the inherent problem with out-sourcing.  Avid is trying to save a buck and ends up partnering with a company with shoddy service.  However, I actually have benefitted from Arvato's "service".  A while back I ordered the special $75 Component Cable for the Analog Mojo and it arrived etc and I was happy.  Then about 3 months later, I received another one that I hadn't ordered.  Thanks Arvato!

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 7:54 AM In reply to

The Avid store is a freaking mess and feels kludgey and poorly designed. Also, why aren't there click throughs so people can order Avid turnkey systems, Avid certified computers or at least a few select Avid certified computers from a maker like HP?

Avid is still not turning a profit and probably won't on a GAP basis for yet another year, but you really wonder if they even want to sell their software. No AMD support, no GeForce support, no link to certified systems, the most difficult process to install, uninstall and upgrade I have ever experienced in my life.

Note to Avid: "If you want to sell your product, make it easy to purchase and install."

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:11 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    why aren't there click throughs so people can order Avid turnkey systems, Avid certified computers or at least a few select Avid certified computers from a maker like HP?

Isn't that what resellers are for?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:49 AM In reply to

I think Avid is foolish to rely on resellers' own marketing muscle to sell Avid turnkey systems and educate people about certified computers. Having links to HP high end workstations and authorized turnkey system providers would only be a benefit to everyone: Avid, buyer and seller.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:58 AM In reply to

http://www.avid.com/US/find-reseller ?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 9:22 AM In reply to

That's not part of the Avid Store site. It has no links to makers of certified computers. And all it brings up is flat list w/ location and contact information.

For example, does a former Liquid user in Los Angeles contact Key Code Media to buy an MC certified computer? No, but I know that b/c I've been to Key Code Media and know they sell mostly to production companies.

Avid is trying to sell copies of Media Composer from the Avid store. But as we all know, Media Composer has certain system requirements. It would seem logical that in the Avid Store would be information and links to certified systems.

Sure people can find the information elsewhere, but the idea is that once you have a captive set of eyes you give them places to look that benefit you.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller