Latest post Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:23 PM by Kirk Arnold. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 7:43 PM

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • Arizona
    • Posts 6
    • Points 130

When does the “Work with any format and integrate into any workflow” part kick in?

That’s the quote from the web page announcing MC5. I’ve been a Liquid user for several years and was seduced by this promise when Liquid’s end-of-life was announced. The upgrade was attractively priced, so I bit. I’ve since spent hours & hours trying to get MPEG2s to import, which start out as JVC TOD format (apparently an MPEG2 transport stream). I get an error to the effect that MC does not support that flavor of mpeg—whether it is an m2v, m2t or mpg. I’ve also spent hours & hours on user forums trying to figure out why. I tried the method of exporting to Quicktime and fast importing to MC5, but neither the exporting or importing is fast, and the QT files are 6-7 times bigger than the originals (a couple of users have reported washed out colors & other issues, so not only are they huge, they apparently don’t look as good). I bought the QT MPEG2 player, which I was led to believe I needed (“if QT can play it, MC can import it”—well, not true, actually, in my experience). I tried Sorenson Squeeze, TMPEGnc, and MPEG Streamclip, but unless I (painfully slowly) export to ginormous QT files, no dice.

Am I the only one to have these problems? I can’t imagine that there are not thousands of MPEGs out there that editors are needing to use. I had to get some work done, so I reverted back to Liquid for now, but I really want to make MC work for me. Avid are you there? I don’t think you should be just leaving all of this to your users to figure out. You made the claim after all. “Work with any format” should come with the disclaimer “as long as it’s Quicktime.” It’s like when you go to buy a car and the salesman tells you “You can get this in any color you want, as long as it’s black.” Liquid had no problem importing my files, what is the deal with MC?

MC5 -- Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz -- ASUS P7P55D-E Intel P55 Motherboard -- 16GB DDR3 1600 -- OCZ Agility 60GB SSD system drive -- various SATA video drives... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 11:54 PM In reply to

Re: When does the “Work with any format and integrate into any workflow” part kick in?

Peter, I'm going to move this to the "Chat with Avid" Forum, since you want to address them directly.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 2:05 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,682
    • Points 61,195

Re: When does the “Work with any format and integrate into any workflow” part kick in?

Peter - This issue with M2V was noticed by those of us that jumped to MC two years ago when Liquid's end-of-life was announced.

MC does not support M2V but if you do a forum search for TOD you might get some suggestions. What we've been doing for those M2V projects is to transcode into a DNxHD QuickTime format and then quick importing into Avid. Once you're in the Avid world for a while, the M2V issue doesn't come up that often.

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.7 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:53 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • Arizona
    • Posts 6
    • Points 130

Well, that seems unsatisfactory in two ways: huge QT files, and very slow transcoding (as pointed out in the original post).  What MPEG configuration (preferably transcoding using Sorenson Squeeze or other software I already have) can I use that will be compatible with MC5, will transcode efficently & without loss of quality, and does not result in bloated files?

I note that my post was moved here to the Chat with Avid forum to "address Avid directly." Its been about 3 weeks now. I think I've asked a pretty fair question. Am I not due a satisfactory answer?

MC5 -- Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz -- ASUS P7P55D-E Intel P55 Motherboard -- 16GB DDR3 1600 -- OCZ Agility 60GB SSD system drive -- various SATA video drives... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 11:42 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Peter:
    Am I not due a satisfactory answer?

This entire forum is user-to-user help. There are a few moderators who work for Avid and a lot of them are just end-users, like you are I.

The CHAT WITH AVID forum was built for those who have questions.. but not, necessarily, to get direct answers - moreover for Avid to get a direct feedback from their customers. I would not hold my breath to get your "satisfactory answer". 

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Sun, Jul 11 2010 11:44 PM In reply to

I have requested Adam Kranitz, who is currently sitting in for Marianna, to check into this.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:23 PM In reply to

• Kirk Arnold
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 710
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Peter:

That’s the quote from the web page announcing MC5. I’ve been a Liquid user for several years and was seduced by this promise when Liquid’s end-of-life was announced. The upgrade was attractively priced, so I bit. I’ve since spent hours & hours trying to get MPEG2s to import, which start out as JVC TOD format (apparently an MPEG2 transport stream). I get an error to the effect that MC does not support that flavor of mpeg—whether it is an m2v, m2t or mpg. I’ve also spent hours & hours on user forums trying to figure out why. I tried the method of exporting to Quicktime and fast importing to MC5, but neither the exporting or importing is fast, and the QT files are 6-7 times bigger than the originals (a couple of users have reported washed out colors & other issues, so not only are they huge, they apparently don’t look as good). I bought the QT MPEG2 player, which I was led to believe I needed (“if QT can play it, MC can import it”—well, not true, actually, in my experience). I tried Sorenson Squeeze, TMPEGnc, and MPEG Streamclip, but unless I (painfully slowly) export to ginormous QT files, no dice.

Am I the only one to have these problems? I can’t imagine that there are not thousands of MPEGs out there that editors are needing to use. I had to get some work done, so I reverted back to Liquid for now, but I really want to make MC work for me. Avid are you there? I don’t think you should be just leaving all of this to your users to figure out. You made the claim after all. “Work with any format” should come with the disclaimer “as long as it’s Quicktime.” It’s like when you go to buy a car and the salesman tells you “You can get this in any color you want, as long as it’s black.” Liquid had no problem importing my files, what is the deal with MC?

Peter,

First and foremost, I’m sorry that you are experiencing these issues. We realize that while Media Composer does work with a lot of formats, there are some that we do not work with. We have been blazing forward on format support in the past few years and even implemented an architecture (AMA) that allows Media Composer to support more formats, quickly, natively and easily. With Liquid, we do realize that there is a lot of incompatibility between Liquid and Media Composer; the products were developed by different companies and addressed different markets. Media Composer 5 does support m2v and m2t AVCHD import. Also for Media Composer 5 is QT files decoding through the AMA architecture. I think your concerns are valid and we’ll investigate looking into supporting these files more efficiently in the future.

Kirk

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller