Latest post Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:58 PM by John Hussey. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:04 AM

BLKDOG from user to employee.

Hi Todd,

Just before the release of MC5 I have a request.

I came across some old post of yours before you were an Avid employee. In some of those you were critical of Avid's performance in not making bug-free software. The general tone of your posts was for Avid to "get it right". Now times have changed since then and those criticisms might not be actual today. But are they getting it right now?

I'm interested in hearing your story how the knowledge you got from being inside Avid has changed you, without violating any NDA of course. What it's like to meet the developers, marketing people and management. How you are able to work together to improve the Avid products. And I guess most of all, what it's like being part of the Avid community team working with Marianna and many others? 

And last but not least, A personal story on the changes Avid is going through.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:13 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: BLKDOG from user to employee.

Wow, not a small request there. Not sure I have the time to address all of that but first off, I never called for Avid to create bug free software. No such thing exists. I do remember being quite critical of Avid's product hardening strategies back then and the mess that was the Adrenaline but I'm not the sort for pie in the sky wishes like software free of bugs.

To be honest, I don't think that my views have changed so much as the company has. The new direction, in my opinion, has been the absolute right one. Customer focused, focused products, cleaner development methodologies and a more open approach to the market. All things that most of us in this business were begging for for years. Do we, as a company, have a long way to go? You bet we do but I believe that senior management, at least at the top, have it right and are putting this company on the right road not only for Avid but for any company in today's service oriented business world. I still expect this company to deliver on what  the market demands, the only difference is now Gary Greenfield and Kirk Arnold demand it even more than any of us in the industry do. With that sort of engine driving the bus, change is not so much revolutionary as it is part of the company norm.

Part of that change has been making avenues to developers and decision makers available to customer facing reps from within the company like Marianna and Myself (many other's too). Gary and Kirk's open approach to business has inspired a lot more open cooperation within the company than I have seen in over 15 years. With those lines of communication have come greater understanding of the directions in which we need to move. I think a lot of that is evidenced in MC5 with a lot more to come. 

So, like we all know, change comes from the top and I think this is what we've seen from Avid the last few years. I'm more willing to forgive what is left to do now as long as I am seeing the positive direction and huge strides in the right direction that we've seen lately. This company has earned a lot more "benefit of the doubt" than in previous years and I just hope it continues for a long time to come.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Jun 3 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

Good answer Todd!! 

It is great to see that the "can do" attitude you had as a Post Production business owner and forum regular for years is still thriving in this new Avid environment!  Yes

• Thu, Jun 3 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

Thx Todd for that insight.

It's nice to hear this positive tone and it's in sync with the image I got from most messages you, Marianna an others posted in reply to many users inside the community over the past months. Except from the "DS marketing/Marianna position" thread, the tone I read is full of expectation and hope for a better future. That in itself deserves a compliment to all within Avid who are making these changes happen.

I've just had a demo of the MC5 beta myself and got away with this feeling of "could it be true"? While my general attitude is a "wait and see" and know this is just a beginning, the idea came to mind that it would be nice for those contributing to the changes Avid is going through, to express their personal stories that make these changes happen starting with you Todd.

A more personal bond, like I'm having with my reseller for example, creates an atmosphere where it is not just about money but also about a collective effort to get the most out of the tools at hand and that being better for all parties in the long run. Quite similar I guess to why this community exists.

With the release of MC5, the support that is being shown for Marianna, maybe the momentum is right for such an initiative. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:58 PM In reply to

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I just have to say some very nice words there. they give me actual real hope for the future.

But I’ve got some questions that really require real answers

Not just some well written, comforting pr spin. Sorry, it made me all warm and fuzzy too, but its crap.

My reality with mc 5 is a nightmare.

mc 5 is so buggy that  if I hadn't paid for it and it hadn't put my facility out of action, it would be funny.

What users want is a system that is reliable and improves with each new version.

I would have much preferred mc 4 with just some of the bugs fixed.

I would have been very happy to pay twice as much for that.

But mc 5. i want my money back.

If this is avid’s new direction perhaps we are not on the same path and i have been editing for 23 years.

Do you think I’m wrong?

It will be avid's loss if you do.

Because although I have always considered avid to be the only professional NLE.

Avid is in my opinion falling well short of that mark.

What avid needs to do is go 64 bit so we can use the computing power we have already paid for.

My main computer has 16x3g  processors, 56g of ram and 3g link raid drives. And Nitris DX

Should be more than enough for good performance, you would have to agree.

So why the *** am I always waiting for avid when I edit??? 

So go 64 bit.

Then don't change avid. 

Just fix the bugs.

We don't need any more bells and whistles

We just need more reliability and grunt.

And then all us long suffering editors all over the world will be forever grateful.

So my question is what is avid doing about what editors really want?

Please give it some serious thought.  Because I’m sure your competitors are and I would really hate to have been wrong about avid all these years.

John

PS you are right about the Adrenaline, mine dealt me the final blow when i couldn't steal the fans out of it to keep my nitris dx going. I would dearly love to buy you a couple of beers and know your thoughts without the spin> nothings changed has it, could even be worse.

Please Avid. catch up, you (avid) are dragging me down.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller