Latest post Thu, Mar 2 2006 5:36 PM by Ian McMahon. 62 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 12:51 AM

• jthill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 17
    • Points 415

Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

Hi all,

The Liquid team is well aware of your concerns regarding Avid Liquid 7. We do monitor these forums and others out there and the moderators have made sure we are on top of your recent postings as we communicate with them regularly.

We also have a customer advocate. Marianna Montague, who monitors the forums and when necessary will put pressure on the product teams at Avid to resolve your problems. She works with the moderators directly and can be reached at marianna_montague@avid.com

Please know that we share your frustrations with version 7, specifically as it relates to DVD burning. We felt we had a good system for vetting the quality of this release and Version 7 scored very well in these metrics (similar to version 6.1).  We were confident that we would stick to our plan to do an immediate Service Pack for post release issues. SP1 was posted December 23 one month after v7 shipped, just as we had done for version 6. 

From there we started on Chrome HD support for version 7. While we work on this hardware support, we continue to make improvement and fixes to the core Liquid application.  As with version 6.1, we have time to fix issues that have popped up since the release as well as add some small but useful features that just didn’t make the full release (see version 5.6 and 6.1).

This was a plan that had worked well in the past.

We had some initial reports with DVD output just before the holidays. However, when a global problem like “DVD doesn’t work” it  needs to be broken down into component issues,  reproduced and then assessed one component at a time. With big problems like this, it takes time to figure out exactly which smaller problems have cascaded down to give us the bigger problems.

Over the holidays, and these last few weeks, we have a much clearer picture of the issues you are facing. We see the issue and we can reproduce them and we are fixing them.

When? Our plan is to deviate from our initial development plan and release a SP2 in the next few weeks to resolve the highest priority issues.

Our commitment to you is to provide a forecasted date in one week. At the appropriate time we will also make an announcement on v7.1 availability.

Furthermore, I would like to reassure you that these issues have forced us to re-evaluate how we measure and manage the quality of Liquid software. We are working to reconstruct these processes for the next big release of Liquid.

I apologize for your frustrations and please know that we are doing our best to resolve them.

Thanks for your patience.

James Thill

Avid Liquid Product Manager

james_thill@avid.com

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 12:55 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

thank you kindly James,

a few weeks isn't a long time to wait for a good product.

AMD 3000+ 1.5 GIG 400MHZ 2x200 GIG SATA RAID 0 120 GIG IDE ATI RADEON 9600 PRO XP HOME SP2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 1:07 AM In reply to

I am absolutelly sure you are know what you are doing BUT please don't listen to anyone that wants something fast.Take your time and give us the best end product.

Pressure can mess things up.

Always here with you.

Love AL.

sverkalo

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 1:16 AM In reply to

• turkish
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2006
    • Posts 13
    • Points 215

Idea [I] Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

THANX for addressing us. I must admit tho it's sounds as if yawl knew what was to come, meaning awareness of the errors, and still proceeded to put out an incomplete product, (obvious reasoning $), and now the consumer suffers. i have read many of the complaints and everyone seems to refer back to the 6.1, wish i had it. but i dont and i am forced to stick it out w/ AL7 due to the fact it cost a lot and i cant buy 20 progs to see which i like the best. so i'll wait it out (the fixing & updates) and hope i didnt waiste my money.
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 1:47 AM In reply to

• airman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 21 2006
    • Posts 56
    • Points 830

Thank You!   This is all it took. I know that the development crew has to be busy and they are concerned about the end users,but it is real nice to know what is going on. I really appreciate it.

Shan            

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 1:49 AM In reply to

you won't regret it turkish....in a few weeks

i've worked with avid express, and preimere...and liquid beats them both

AMD 3000+ 1.5 GIG 400MHZ 2x200 GIG SATA RAID 0 120 GIG IDE ATI RADEON 9600 PRO XP HOME SP2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 1:59 AM In reply to

• kirov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 261
    • Points 3,560

Thank you for the clear and focused statement with specific aspects of what's going on addressed.

And thank you for the acknowledgement that a refocused development/release plan will benefit all.
    ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe [view my complete system specs]
    LE5.5 (retired), LE6.1 (installed), AL7 (safely sealed in the case and stored in an outer building on the ranch)
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 2:08 AM In reply to

• smithe1
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Washington
    • Posts 1,102
    • Points 13,340

jthill,

I just want you to know this is why I invested in Avid Liquid. I normally don't gobble up a 1st release but knowing Avid was involved I decided to throw caution to the winds and take the plunge. Thank you for the update I am looking forward to seeing what it fixes.........Hmm [^o)]
    Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Core2Duo 3Ghz 4 gig ram Nvideo GT220 1gb DDR3 GC 4HD 500, 750. 300 and 300 Sata drives On board sound Realteck HD audio. [view my complete system specs]

Duo2Core 6300, 1.83 O/C to 2.44, 2 gig of 533ddr2 ram Win XP Pro, Asus P5L-VM 1394,DVD writer AL7.2, Ati X1300 pci-e 256mb,OSdrive 200 gig, 300 gig media,200 data drive removeable bay O/B sound. Moviebox delulxe. A good day editing beats a bad one anyday.

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 2:14 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,332
    • Points 53,555

Yes, a good start to the rebuilding of user confidence. A broken release can be mended, but a broken company mission is quite another matter. Please stay in touch a bit more frequently,and the storm that developed over the past couple of days would never have happened.
    Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 2:58 AM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Jim,
    Thanx for this! I think we can all relax a bit now and give you guys the time you need to get it right. (Just not too long Wink [;)] )

Everyone, have a great weekend.
    It got a little heated today, but in the long run I think a lot of good is going to come from it.

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 4:28 AM In reply to

Big Smile [:D] Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

Thank you Jim for your well written response.

I have used several editors in the past and they ALL have had various problems.  When it came to addressing those problems, rarely have I read any statement of intent to fix what was broken or even an acknowledgement from anyone directly involved with the company that there were any problems.

Looking forward to the next patch/point release or whatever.

Gary
    Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 4 GB Corsair Ram 667 MHz, Asus P5B Plus Motherboard, Asus X1900XTX 512 MB Graphics Card, Sata 70GB HD, Sata 320 GB HD (3... [view my complete system specs]
    I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Phillipians 4:13)
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 5:34 AM In reply to

• video777
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Scio, OR
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 18,140

Jim,

Thank you. This meant a lot to all of us.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, ABIT KN8 MoBo, 2GB SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon X1800XT (256MB 256-bit), 1.5TB drives, WinXP Pro SP2 (NTFS), DX9.0c, Avid Liquid 7.10... [view my complete system specs]
    Allen "Success comes from wisdom, wisdom comes from experience, experience comes from really screwing up!" - Author Unknown
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 6:10 AM In reply to

Thanks James. I'm confidant Avid wishes to produce the best quality produce from its lowest to highest product line.

Joe Sinicropi

3.4 mg HT P4 2 gig ram Nvidia 256mg vid card Asus Pioneer 16x dual layer burner UAD plugin card Firewire 800 Dual 21inch monitors / ntsc monitor... [view my complete system specs]
    To cut or not to cut, that is the question.... http://www.sinivision.com 3.4 mg HT P4 2 gig ram Nvidia 5200 Asus Pioneer 16x burner UAD Dual 21inch monitors LaCie
  • Sat, Jan 28 2006 7:38 AM In reply to

• Mscic
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • MALTA
    • Posts 320
    • Points 4,195

Big Smile [:D] Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

Mr. Thill, we couldn't ask for more at this point in time. At least we all now know that AVID has people working for it, and with feelings.

I thank you for your responce and we know it must have been a hack of a time for you and your team these last few weeks, especially with our pressure.

A few words from you Mr Thill and the sky is already looking in getting brighter. We're not there yet but we are now confident that we will get there.

Keep in touch.

DELL Precision T7400, Xeon QuadCore, 4Gb RAM, 400Gb System Drive,600Gb Sec Part 750Gb Project Drive, 2x 500GB Stipped Render Drives, 2x 500GB Capture Drives... [view my complete system specs]

To be or not to be.

• Sat, Jan 28 2006 8:50 AM In reply to

• Barry Hunter
    • Not Ranked
    • Torquay S.W.England
    • Posts 66
    • Points 860

Thanks James, your positive response will be well recieved here in the UK.
    Barry Hunter www.videos4all.org
Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller