Latest post Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:56 AM by stustustu. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 7:16 AM

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Dekocast database extractor plug-in

I'm having an issue using the Database Extractor plug-in that came with our Dekocast systems (v 4.1.2 build 67).

The plug-in seems to continually poll the database even when the 'update frequency' setting is on 0 seconds.

How can I get this plug in to only update once, or when I tell it to update?  This seems like a bug to me.

I've contemplated just putting the SQL query into an action but the results returned from the databse need some post-processing which I can do with a javascript file via the above plugin.  However I can't find a way to post-process the result if I use an action...

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Re: Dekocast database extractor plug-in

A setting of zero is used to constantly update.  You are setting the interval between updates, with 10 waiting for 10 seconds, 1 waiting for 1 second, and 0 never waiting at all, or updating constantly.

One way to accomplish this may be to reference an Excel database, then leave that database open on a networked computer.   I believe that you can not read from and write to an Excel database at the same time, so you could enter new data when it came in, but it would not update until you saved and closed the database.  The next time you open the database the Deko will stop updating until you close it again.

Alternately, I think you can set an action to update the database on your command.  You would need to set a very high # in the update frequency, and then create the action using the Parameters tab to find the correct parameter and value.   I do not have access to a Deko w/ Objex at this time, but if anyone else is familiar with creating actions using the Parameter values please chime in. 

Or you can try Customer Support at  800-63....

• Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:56 AM In reply to

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Re: Dekocast database extractor plug-in

Hi Mary

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I've just tried your suggestion of setting the update frequency to 60 & setting an action to manually trigger the update yet the plug-in seems to be ignoring this 'update frequency' figure.

My action runs 20sec and I can change database values multiple times while this action runs and see it affect the graphics on air as it pulls updates from the database - usually within a second of the value changing!!

Not that the above is really a bad thing as no-one should be changing these values whilst the graphics are on air (or they'll get a slap!), but my scene will have quite a few database extractor plugins so I don't want them all continually polling.

I think I'll use Access to do the (pre?) post processing and thus not use the plug-in (which works fine otherwise!).  I guess I'd just avoided this because I'm a little rusty on Access scripting.  :)

Cheers,

Stu.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller