Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 PM by OliverPeters. 104 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:18 PM In reply to

Re: SYMPHONY = A B A N D O N W A R E

editdudes:
    Many new Apple products (iphone) and updates of current products (fcp) are leaked or hinted months and sometimes even a year before the intended shipping date, and on many occasions the actual release is then delayed by months.

Those leaks are against company policies and Apple employees have been fired for such. Even 3rd party supplier are under heavy NDA.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

editdudes:
    Many new Apple products (iphone) and updates of current products (fcp) are leaked or hinted months and sometimes even a year before the intended shipping date,

Never, EVER by the company iteself. Apple does not discuss new features or products in any way, EVER. I have friends at Apple and they are under more restrictions that Avid has ever dreamed.

editdudes:
    Still baffled that senior management claim bugs can't be discussed due to legal reasons, but that's the Tewksbury way I guess.

We discuss Bugs all the time here. Tell me what Bug you want to know about and I'll tell you if it's recorded and where it is in the priority list. I can also tell you if a bug is fixed in the next release, if Product Management tells us that is....

Bugs and features are two entirely different discussions.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:33 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

BLKDOG:

We discuss Bugs all the time here. Tell me what Bug you want to know about and I'll tell you if it's recorded and where it is in the priority list. I can also tell you if a bug is fixed in the next release, if Product Management tells us that is....

Bugs and features are two entirely different discussions.

That is indeed good news, and something I wasn't aware of. Thank you!

BLKDOG in November:

"...I want to be as clear and as open with you as I possible can but, discussing Features and or Bugs in relation to when they Will be included in future releases is completely verboten."

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:35 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

And after November, the company allowed us to discuss if a bug is included in a release once Product Management has released that info to us.

Things change fast around here.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:43 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

BLKDOG:

And after November, the company allowed us to discuss if a bug is included in a release once Product Management has released that info to us.

Things change fast around here.

They certainly do...

For the sake of argument, how about that nasty bug preventing us from color correcting the fill of a key without messing up the actual keying?

Wink

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:46 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Without looking at the bug list, I'm gonna start by asking if this is the problem we've always had since the day the Alpha was invented:

Are we talking about increasing the black/white contrast? Since an Alpha is only black and white, how much color correction could you need? If you change the contrast between the black levels, you are going to mess up the key. If it's other than what I am imagining, let me know.

Whoops...sorry..talking about moving too fast...you said FILL.....

Can you describe exactly what is happening and I'll look it up....

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:49 PM In reply to

Wow, this thread has suddenly gotten a lot more heated than when I went to bed!

From what I can gather (in between the arguments about what Avid can and can't disclose ahead of time) is that essentially everyone's on the same page, kinda.

MC v5 improvements are a GREAT thing - and will postively inpact a lot of Symphony/Online/Offline editors.  I know everyone works on different media, using different sources, but as a Symphony Editor:

-  Accessing low-res XDCAM proxies for offline work, with full-quality audio

-  Capturing to and editing XDCAM HD and DVC PRO HD formats from baseband without additional hardware

-  Importing AVCHD files directly from cameras and other devices

-  Mix and matching frame sizes and aspect ratios — in addition to formats, frame rates, and resolutions — in the same timeline

-  Working natively with QuickTime video formats, including Apple ProRes and H.264,  and natively accessing and ing4:2:2 MPEG-2 media from the new Canon cameras using AMA - all all the other AMA improvemnts

Will dramatically improve the way I work.  In fact, the first two on my list would be worth the price of the upgrade seperately.

I do agree that it's gonna be all about price.  All of these features are software improvements, so it will be interesting where Avid decide to price the upgrade.  You don't want to feel penalised for having a 'better' machine.

I do think Avid need to really think about the future of MC/Symph/DS - as I'm sure they have - and they've already consolidated their product line pretty effectively/  I mean, they EOL-ed Xpress and Liquid and yet still managed to keep the far majority of theses customers really happy.  Not a easy feat.  Let's hope they continue in this vein.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 7:53 AM In reply to

I agree with that these feature are really nice. But what is the left added value of our Symphonies?

Why can we only find out through resellers what our software upgrades cost, and why do they turn out to be three times as much as the same MC software upgrade, without us gaining anything more than an MC-Nitris DX owner would gain? We apparently have to pay a premium on each and every software upgrade, just to be able to hold on to the two or three features Symph holds over MC (which we already paid extra for).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:08 AM In reply to

A fair enough point, Job.  We'll just have to wait and see how Avid price the next Symph upgrade.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:55 AM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

BLKDOG:

Can you describe exactly what is happening and I'll look it up....

The "bug" I'm referring to is that I can't seem to find that all important button in the CC tool named "use alpha" or "apply to current track only".

Since Symphony is a premium priced finishing tool that button simply must exist, but I have been unable to locate it so far.

I apologize for kidding with you. I thought it was pretty obvious.

This is not a bug per se, but definitely a major design flaw in MC/Symphony that should have been dealt with a decade ago. Unfortunately, noone at AVID seems to give a rat's ass...

It is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL that the Color Correction tool in a professional finishing system can use the alpha from a keyed layer, and thus affect only the source it is applied to, separately from the background !!!

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 11:18 AM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,000

I think it fair to say that unless you are sourcing you material via AMA there are NO onlining improvements to v.5's software whatsoever.  So unless you also use you machine for offline editing (which most of us do) there's no reason to upgrade. Don't get mad about it, just save your money and wait for an upgrade that suits you. If you've already invested in a Symphony, you've still go a great piece of kit.

My wish-list:

CC keying

DPX/2k import VIA AMA

Anti-matte with resize capabilities

5.1 monitoring on Symph Nitris systems via optical out (don't understand why this can't happen)

Re-shaping of 'Border' controls in Resize and PiP. 

Re-vamp of 3D Warp

Overhaul of Marquee

etc..

Don't worry I'll repost this in Feature Requests

Media Composer 2019.8.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme v11.3 After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:18 PM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,125

If you want to output HD RGB then you need Symphony V5.

"And if you have a Nitris DX-based system, you can digitize, process, monitor, and output (output in Symphony systems only) projects in HD-RGB, using the two HD SDI connections to handle the high-bandwidth resolutions."

That's one new Symphony only feature ...

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:30 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,000

It's not a software feature thought is it.  And as I've said I'll probably be forking out the extra 10k or so for the DX upgrade.  Simply so I can get 4:4:4 

Media Composer 2019.8.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme v11.3 After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:44 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Glenno:
    If you want to output HD RGB then you need Symphony V5.

But at the booth, and in other writings, it was said it would be MC also. We are waiting for clarification from Avid.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:48 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

From What I undestand Terry, you can edit it in MC but, like Universal Mastering, you would need a Symphony if you want to play out baseband.

Page 3 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller