Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 PM by OliverPeters. 104 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:25 AM

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Symphony - NOT EOL, but in desperate need of some TLC

Getting pretty annoyed by the fact that AVID blatantly ignores us Symphony users.

Where are the long awaited and much needed Symphony Specific updates???

CC Masks, CC for individual tracks, and we still can't even CC the fill of a key separately !!!

Marianna, BlkDog or anyone employed by AVID:  WE WANT AN ANSWER NOW !!!

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 2:16 PM In reply to

• DMcL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 3 2006
    • Posts 254
    • Points 3,265

Re: SYMPHONY = A B A N D O N W A R E

Also, when will Nitris be able to ingest 16 channels of audio?  Thanks.

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 6:44 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

You know they can't answer anything regarding future plans. 

As for the audio, there are a bunch of enhancements in V5 to audio, maybe this is one of them I didn't check on that while at NAB. If we don't here before the Editors' Lounge on May 14th, I'll get the answer there.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:54 AM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

TCurren:

You know they can't answer anything regarding future plans. 

"Won't" is more like it, and "Should" is what we have a right to expect for investing in a product that doesn't get the attention it so desperately needs.

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 12:16 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

editdudes:
    "Won't" is more like it, and "Should" is what we have a right to expect for investing in a product that doesn't get the attention it so desperately needs.

For a minute i thought i was on the DS thread!

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:22 PM In reply to

I don't think anyone would argue that Symphony needs more development.  Especially now, with Davinci Resolve et al.

CC improvements are constant Feature Requests and it needs an overhaul and I would love to see a Node-based compositor intergated into the suite (but I don't think that will happen while DS is still around - which is a whole other thread).

HOWEVER, I do think MC v5 is the most gob-smacking release in a LONG time (if ever) from Avid (with maybe the exception of when Symph first came out).  And of course, all these improvements for MC are improvements for Symph.  This, and the Web-Editing software are huge leaps forward for Avid.  This 'New Thinking' is certainly finally paying off, and I think Avid should be praised for that (considering a few years ago they were literally dead in the water as far as I could see).

Personally, I'm hoping their acquisition of Euphonix will bring some new developments for Symphony (External Controller!) and more emphasis on it as a serious competitor to Color and now Resolve.  We'll have to wait and see I guess.

In all fairness, I think the DS Editors have more to worry/complain about at the minute.  That's not to say we shouldn't push for more development though.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:29 PM In reply to

editdudes:
    "Won't" is more like it

Terry means because they are a publicly traded company, they are not allowed to speak of certain future developments.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:10 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Job ter Burg:

editdudes:
    "Won't" is more like it

Terry means because they are a publicly traded company, they are not allowed to speak of certain future developments.

He may have, but I doubt it since it would have little or no leverage here.

AVID are not allowed to disclose certain information about certain financial developments etc, but there's absolutely no rule or legislation that can prevent them from talking publically about future products, features or upgrades.

If there was, APPLE wouldn't exist today... Smile

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:24 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

There actually is and we are not allowed to talk about the specific direction of products before a release date has been announced.

However, I can tell you this. Look at all of the major upgrades that have just been developed for the Avid code (that includes Symphony) and you will see where the development dollars were directed for the past year or so. Development is not a bottomless bucket from which any company can draw. Resources and dollars need to be targeted toward specific goals. As an editor, I personally think that the development calendar has been utilized better than it ever has before. These format workflows that Avid implemented are going to be game changes for the entire product line and were sorely needed. The UI enhancements will be the ground floor of the entire product line moving forward. Digi-Design's efforts at melding the Pro Tools workflows in MC will start some amazing features within the traditionally videocentic editors.

As the general overhaul of the code comes to completion, Product Development may have plans to target dollars in other areas, I don't know for sure. What I do know is that the entire company was leveraged to bring the Audio/Worklfow/Interface enhancements you are seeing and I fully expect the exciting direction that Gary and the whole upper management team has brought to the company to begin spilling over to individualized products as we move down the road.

I've been through six regimes in this company and I'm beginning to really trust that this one knows what they are about. I know it's hard to not see the improvements we've hoped for show up even though a lot of others did but all I can do is be patient and move forward with the cool toys I DID get this time around.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:26 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Ra-ey Saleh:

HOWEVER, I do think MC v5 is the most gob-smacking release in a LONG time (if ever) from Avid (with maybe the exception of when Symph first came out).  And of course, all these improvements for MC are improvements for Symph.

Agreed, but symphony owners will likely have to pay a premium price for the same features that cost "next to nothing" for others. Unfair, and definitely not what we expected or wanted.

In all fairness, I think the DS Editors have more to worry/complain about at the minute.  That's not to say we shouldn't push for more development though.

DS has at least been gifted with Symphony's Color Correction tool which is an improvement, but I agree that we could have expected a little more.

It's kind of frustrating that AVID doesn't want an open dialogue with it's customers, despite fancy campaigns like "New Thinking" and "We are listening"... Confused

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:58 PM In reply to

As I posted in Avid-L2

RGB, native Red and expanded AMA are all major Symphony relevant updates. Are they not? Yes, I concede that they are not Symphony only but it is more valuable that it is supported in both applications.

That being said, yes, CC needs a major upgrade.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:13 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

BLKDOG:

There actually is and we are not allowed to talk about the specific direction of products before a release date has been announced.

Sounds like the Tewksbury sheriff is pretty hard on you guys. Smile

I've been through six regimes in this company and I'm beginning to really trust that this one knows what they are about. I know it's hard to not see the improvements we've hoped for show up even though a lot of others did but all I can do is be patient and move forward with the cool toys I DID get this time around.

I can appreciate that, even if most of the new stuff unfortunately has little or no impact on the grading and finishing work we do on the Symphony.

Avid's strict vow of secrecy causes a lot of frustration, and it's a pity that you guys don't realize the benefits of having an open dialogue with your customers.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I appreciate your efforts.

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:18 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

editdudes:
    Avid's strict vow of secrecy causes a lot of frustration, and it's a pity that you guys don't realize the benefits of having an open dialogue with your customers.

That statement is patently unfair. This community, coupled with all of the customer advisory boards and open communications that uppermanagament has mandated from those of us that are customer facing everyday are directly in opposition to what you are saying. We have more opportunities now for direct customer engagement than ever before in the history of the company.

What we cannot do is go in the face of SEC regulatory laws put in place after the Enron debacle.

Ask us anything and we wil do our leve best to get an answer for you. However, on an open forum it is legally impossible for us to lay out the develpment schedule for products annd features not yet released.

I think you may need to revise your statement to "it's a pity that you guys don't realize the benefits of having an open dialog with me".

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

As an editor who works more FCP than MC, I have to say that I'm really jazzed about the "FCP-like timeline editing" features and the changes made in the audio tracks. I've been jumping up and down for years about how could MC's audio be so weak, when they owned Digidesign. This is finally starting to change and I want to thank the developers involved in this change. I realize it probably took a lot of effort to get there.

I also see this release as a start - not an end. I trust that we'll see more units beyond the MXO2 Mini supported, but that will probably take some time. Likewise, other changes will be expanded upon. Ultimately you have to cast features "in stone" at various milestones in order to get products out the door to customers. If not, then the whole endeavor is just a hobby. I think

MC5 will get out to editors and that "real world" feedback will let Avid know where yet-unreleased features need to be tweaked for future versons. This is a huge release for Avid and a breath of fresh air that started with the past few versions.

- Oliver

• Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:29 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

editdudes, you are way off base here. If you don't think Avid is open enough, switch to Apple. 

From my perspective, this is the best management, and the most customer interaction Avid has ever had. And yes, I too wish there were more for the Symphony. But I'm also a businessman, and I understand allocating resources for maximum return. If Avid had come out with a new improved super CC for Symphony, you and I would be happy, but the vast user base of MC who don't touch the CC, would be asking for all the same things they have been asking for for many years. And Avid would have lost the spotlight to daVinci for 995.00 anyway.

Instead, we just got a release that is exciting the majority of the user base. That is good for Avid and the benefit of that may be more users, more upgrades, equals more dollars available for R&D and more need for better finishing tools, and hopefully more money spent on Symphony development.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 7 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller