Latest post Wed, May 5 2010 12:23 PM by Larry Rubin. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:15 AM

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Jumpy Video and Audio

Okay, slow down. I'm not a professional. I'm not familiar with all of the technical fixes that I've read suggested on this message board regarding issues simialr to mine. I don't know what an "FW" drive is or  a "Quad GS5."

I have Avid Xpress pro, Academic version 5.6.4.  I've had no problems since the usual Avid hardware-software/compatability issues during the first 6 months of my initial installation 3 years ago.

I imported/edited/burned a project a few weeks ago. Spent a few days on it. Added footage, re-edited. All was great. Went back today to re-edit one small clip and the entire project is jumpy. Audio and video hang, and jump. Every clip in my bins. Other projects seem fine.

I haven't changed any hardware or software. Does anyone have an idea?

I'm not an idiot, but I'm certainly not literate in the Avid Computer Component language.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jim

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac12,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Software Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 10 2010 2:47 AM In reply to

Re: Jumpy Video and Audio

Since you say the problem only affects this one project, it's likely that the settings file has become corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. Quit the application, and go into the "Avid Projects" folder and find the specific folder for the problem project. Open that folder and delete the file "(Project name)settings.avs". On re-launch, the system will detect the missing file and build a new one.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Apr 11 2010 1:14 AM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Thanks Larry,

Man, I was very excited and thought that was the magic bullet, so I gave that a try and... no difference. However, I made a more thorough check of my other projects and found that MOST of them ARE now jumpy. I may have previously just checked the 2 that are not affected, I don't know.  Does that lead to a different solution idea?

I don't know if this is important, but everytime I try to play a clip or sequence (no matter where I choose to start) there is a 1 -2 second delay before it begins to jump along.  Thanks for your help.

Jim

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac12,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Software Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 1:27 AM In reply to

The next thing I would suspect would be that something went south on the graphics card. I'm assuming you're running a qualified graphics board and the correct driver version, since you say this system has worked for 3 years. Here is the version matrix for reference. Please fill out your system specifications. Click on your name, then "edit my profile", then "profile options" to get to the right text field. Your specs will then become part of every post you make.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:32 AM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Thanks again larry,

I updated my info to the best of my knowledge.  Hopefully it gives you some insight.  Sounds like my best first option would be to replace my graphics card. Maybe?  I know Avid is finicky, do you have a suggestion?

Jim

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:32 AM In reply to

Hi Jim,

How certain are you that there were no software updates between the time the system worked and when the problem started?  Is the system connected to the internet?  Could Windows have automatically updated something (like Internet Explorer 8) that might be causing trouble?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Apr 12 2010 3:47 PM In reply to

Jim:

If you've checked each item Carl has identified and eliminated them as the cause, I would recommend that you purchase a qualified NVIDIA quadro graphics card. My advice is to buy the highest level one you can afford for future growth and creative expansion, especially if you're considering upgrading to Composer. The new version Media Composer 5 has just been announced, and will be released June 10th. Upgrade paths and pricing will be announced soon by Avid.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:24 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,392
    • Points 97,070

Jim, what you're describing is typical of data bandwidth product issues.  Nice bit of computer jargon, but what it means is something is preventing your computer from handling the data fast enough.  It could be a background task of some sort, or possibly your media drive(s) have errors, to name but two of the likely suspects.

The one that I would look at first, as Carl suggested, is something that has happened as a result of an upgrade, either voluntary or otherwise.  I would then look at my antivirus software if I were you.  Make sure that you're not connected to the internet and completely shut down your antivirus software.  Launch Avid and see if that makes a difference.  If it does you need new AV software.

The next thing to check is the background tasks that are running.  Launch the task manager and check what services you have running.  For this you'll really need to get professional help if you have no computer expertise.

Make sure that all your media is on your separate media drive and not on your boot (C) disk.  When rendering media can inadvertently end up there.  Look for folders on your C drive called Avid MediaFiles and OMFI MediaFiles, and move their contents to the same folders on your media drive.

Typically the structure in Avid MediaFiles is Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1, where 1 can be any number,  The simple way to move the contents of this type of folder is to rename any numbered folders to numbers not used in the same directory structure on your media drive, then just move those renumbered folders over.

All of the above suggestions should be carried out without Avid running.  Once you've made a change relaunch Avid and try again.

PS:  A final thought - this sort of issue can arise if your C drive becomes too full for Windows to maintain the hidden page file there.  What will then happen is that Windows will try to create a new page file on another drive.  If this drive also contains your media you'll see this problem.

The only fix is to make room on your C drive by either deleting files you no longer need (make sure you know what you're doing), or better still, get a new, larger, C drive and reinstall everything.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:49 PM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I suppose it's possible that Firefox or Windows has performed some automatic updates but I don't see anything. However, I did move all of my non-essential OMFI files to an external drive. All of my hard drives are 50% full or less. I checked for background file activity and didn't find anything.  And my anit-virus software isn't running. 

I feel like I'm going shopping for a new graphics card. but that Quadro is out of my price range. Anything to suggest under $200? 

thanks again,

Jim

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:54 PM In reply to

The least expensive qualified graphics card is the NVIDIA Quadro FX 560. On ebay currently for $55.00

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:55 PM In reply to

falkenprops:
    I did move all of my non-essential OMFI files to an external drive.

Just FYI, you should NEVER write media files to your system C: drive. Media files should ALWAYS be written to a separate drive, either internal, external, or a RAID array. This could definitely have something to do with your jumpy problem.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

I'm getting my graphics card as we speak. Thanks everyone. And don't worry Larry, all of my media files were on my internal V: drive... I just moved them to an external D:

Epilogue to come.

Jim

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:02 AM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Arrrgghh. Just installed my Quadro FX 380 graphics card. System runs fine. All looks good...... Same problem with my Avid audio and video.  Is there a way to check for internet software updates? Are there Avid settings I can mess with? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Jim

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:17 AM In reply to

Check this version matrix for XPRO. Are you running the correct driver version? The latest drivers are NOT necessarily the ones you should be using, if that's the case. And I can no longer find the XPRO system requirements, but I'm pretty sure that card was qualified for you. The current specs for Media Composer state FX 560 or higher, that's why I pointed you to the one on ebay.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 3:23 AM In reply to

• falkenprops
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 22
    • Points 265

Thanks Larry. You know, the version matrix thing is a foriegn language to me. And, the FX 560 card I saw was refurbished and I've had my problems with refurbished in the past.

However, considering that all Avid functions are exactly the same (including the problems) between the graphics card that used to work, and the new graphics card... I feel that graphics card compatability is not the issue. I feel that I have a seperate issue. Doesn't that seem logical to you? 

I'm now more curious about my software updates. Mostly Windows and Firefox. Those are my biggest offenders. Is there a way to check for those?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller