Latest post Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:23 AM by luca.mg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:12 PM

Been out of the loop, quick question

Hi,

We have an old Xpress Pro Suite that was upgraded to MC. I remember a couple of years ago I didn't upgrade to the latest MC or ProTools because of compatability issues. Has this been resolved?

Well, went to turn on the system (an xw8200) a couple of weeks ago and the power supply was bad. Installed a new factory replacement...and apparently it took out the motherboard/cpu's when it went. Getting an error message of red flashes that according to hp mean "no CPU installed".

So, repair will cost minimum $500, I have convinced them to just buy a new xw4600 for $1000. Does this strike you as the sane thing to do?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate any constructive input.

• Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:52 PM In reply to

Re: Been out of the loop, quick question

Yes, the Pro Tools compatibility issue has been resolved in the MC 4.x versions. And as long as you're OK with the particulars and configuration guidelines you'll find here, the xw4600 should do just fine.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:12 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,816
    • Points 68,255

My system is close to an xw4600 as for chipset/architecture and it outperforms an xw8200, perhaps because of the 8 GB ram and the 64 bit OS, still $1k for an almost obsolete system... if a current approved system is not an option I'd consider $2k on a videoguys like box.

Symphony 20.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:34 AM In reply to

Revisiting the issue now. Turns out the system was on sale for $1,000. Keyword being WAS.

Now to configure the same way is $400 more. Also, just noted that there is no onboard IEEE on the spec sheet? So to operate the Digi002 and Mojo I need second PCI firewire card (preferably PCIe?)

Now on my Avid at home I added a Firewire card that spec'ed out as faster than the on board. I connected my Mojo and Digi002 and the software insisted that the video had to be on the internal IEEE port. Okay, whatever. BUT it makes me wonder if I can run both the Mojo and Digi002 when there is no onboard IEEE and both are provided by cards. Anyone?

• Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:23 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,816
    • Points 68,255

According to the xw4600 configuration guidelines (LINK) the workstation can be fitted with two FW expansion cards (PCI-E slot 3 and PCI/32 slot 7, the latter being an HP board, and who knows if a Pyro card would do the job as well), and my best guess is that if You don't have an Atto card You can even use a third any brand FW 400/800 controller (on PCI-E slot 4) for external disks too, that is if Windows doesn't get mad with too many FW cards...

Symphony 20.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller