Latest post Thu, Dec 7 2017 1:33 PM by Domingo Stephan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:54 PM

Timecode

Hi,

I'm sure this question has a painfully obvious answer. My timecode has letters A-D at the end. I guess it thinks I'm doing 4-perf. But I don't remember setting it up as a film project. Format tab says project type 23.976 NTSC VIDEO

The letters also then come up on the timecode burn-in (see screen capture). Where do I turn off the letters?

(Also, I don't think this is related... I can't open the Timecode Window setting in my Settings.)

Thanks

• Tue, Mar 23 2010 7:41 AM In reply to

Re: Timecode

Base timecode in any SD project needs to be either PAL (25TC) or NTSC (30TC). So when you are in a 23.976p project, the TC1 is a 30TC. If you switch it to a TC24, the pulldown data will probably be gone.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

I switched my master to 24 but the TC generator still counts in 30 and still has those letters. Advice? Thanks.

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:37 AM In reply to

In the Timecode Generator Effect, you need to determine the track that is being displayed. You need to select "24" there, in the effects editor. I think it defaults to TC1.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 11:14 PM In reply to

• Myra
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 18 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hello,

I'm having this same issue and was wondering if a solution was ever found to this problem. I'm working in a 23.976 NTSC project. My Timecode Generator Effect is displaying the track at 24fps, but I am still seeing letters (A, B, C, etc) displayed in my burn in timecode. I'm running MC 4.5 on an Avid Adrenaline.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 4:54 AM In reply to

Can someone please give a response to this?

I'm editing 1080p/23.976 NTSC

My TC generator is set to 24.

Why do those letters appear at the end? I just want a clean TC. Media composer 4 would have no problem with this, but now i'm running 5.0.3.7r and I'm getting these letters at the end. I recall them being some, entry point or, A frame or something, but how do I get rid of that. It's just annoying for producers to see.

Thanks in advance.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 6:53 AM In reply to

I never figured it out. Just baked some wallnut banana bread and told them that's the way it will be.

Willing to share recipe.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:32 AM In reply to

Seems to stick that way in SD projects. If you flip to HD 23.976p, they are gone.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 1:22 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,575

Slightly off topic but even more annoying for non-speciailst translators than for producers, are the frame counts on BITC tapes and discs; 

is there any way to burn in just hours/mins/secs and NOT frames as well?

I made a wee black title to hide them last time but it was another track to render and with title tool slippage it looked pretty tatty anyway.

And walnut banana bread, funny that, I make it too for very important viewings. Is yours the bicarbonate of soda version? children love doing that bit for you...

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 4 2011 7:36 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,448
    • Points 63,165
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Those extra characters indicate the pulldown sequence frame and field when derived from NTSC material.  Since HD can handle progressive frames natively, there's no need to indicate how they were derived.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:53 AM In reply to

But why would it be a part of a TC24?

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 7:54 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,448
    • Points 63,165
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

So you know how it was derived from 30 frame NTSC.  If the capture is wrong the cadence isn't accurate and you'll end up with 2 instances of one frame and miss another. Or it's just left over from the old days when SD was the only choice?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 5:48 PM In reply to

• Myra
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 18 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

i found a work around to this problem of having letters in your timecode. I place the timecode burn in on my timeline over my footage. Then go to my sequence in my bin, with my sequence selected I right click, select Modify and select Set Format, then select 1080p 23.976 (even though my project is set at this format already). Somehow by doing this, I got rid of the letters on the timecode burn in window. Not sure why, but its worked for me. 

• Tue, Jan 24 2017 11:13 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,355
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Help! I'm still seeing this problem 6 years later.

The MC110 course projects Anesthesia and TN Parkour are 720/23.976, and show [dropframe?]letters and numbers at the end of the timecode for all sequences. The sequences are set to 720/23.976 format, as is the project, but frame count  on them goes to 29!

If I switch sequence format to 1080/23.976 then dropframe data vanishes and frame count stops at 23.

Clips in source window always display code correctly.

Can anybody explain why this happens? I usually work in 25p and never see these issues.

Thanks

Nigel

ISIS 5500, with Interplay Production bundle, MC 8.6.1 & PT 12.5.1 on Mac OS X.11.3 with BM Mini-Monitors. Running on 2013 Mac Pros and 2016 21"... [view my complete system specs]

Less IS More!

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Jan 24 2017 3:21 PM In reply to

Because 720p/23.97 and NTSC/PAL still behave as though tape is involved somewhere in the process. There was no preference anywhere to flag it as one or the other during this transition to all file based.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller