Latest post Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:48 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 51 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 19 2010 3:39 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Re: One year has past...

switthaus:
    At least at a trade show/event, I can see the product,

True unless it's the Avid DS, no sign of that being shown and promoted at this weeks trade show in London England!

However lots of young people sat  at desks training on Avid on laptops, oh and not much sign of FCP really.

Gut feeling but Avid are really close in making new friends in video production they just need that extra push in what they offer.

• Fri, Feb 19 2010 5:14 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Avid never has known what to do with DS, and thats a shame.  What event was this?

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Fri, Feb 19 2010 8:55 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

It was a big broadcast video show the UK's small version of IBC/ NAB so fairly important, Avid's stand was basic but they had a training companies stand attached to it and they had i guess 30 or so Avid's on laptops for students to follow an instructor which was all very good and nice to see.

No Avid DS and no sign of those expensive Avid DX box's or Symphony make of that what you will!

The theme of the show was probably Stereoscopic 3D Geeked

• Sat, Feb 20 2010 4:28 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 535
    • Points 6,830

switthaus: At least at a trade show/event, I can see the product,

True unless it's the Avid DS, no sign of that being shown and promoted at this weeks trade show in London England!

However lots of young people sat  at desks training on Avid on laptops, oh and not much sign of FCP really.

Gut feeling but Avid are really close in making new friends in video production they just need that extra push in what they offer.

Speaking of young people, I had someone respond to a post I placed on a Avid youtube video. He said He never heard of Avid but have heard of FCP, PPro and Vegas. Avid has to find a way to tap into the young market, as everyone has being saying marketing needs to improve. I have not been on Avid very long so I am not sure how they marketed in the past but it seems that they need to be more visiable to people who are not already in the industry but to those future filmmakers.
  • Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:37 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

I don't think i would want to employ a young person in post production who has never even heard of Avid i think that reflects badly on them rather than Avid marketing,

Young people have to make the effort to find out about the industry as a whole.

• Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:47 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

NICKB:

I don't think i would want to employ a young person in post production who has never even heard of Avid i think that reflects badly on them rather than Avid marketing,

I agree It does not matter whether he can Edit in Avid or not(Presently) But a person who is not aware of the world around him; how can he be good Editor?

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:31 AM In reply to

switthaus:
    I am not sure what you mean by this.

By looking at the upgrade path of MC it's impossible to say if it will integrate with symphony or not anytime soon.

Anyway... In case of this integration I don't think the fact of being publicly owned stops Avid from making a statement if they believe the future is a "one product fits all" or "multiple products for multiple market segments" without making any concrete product line statements.

In case of the "multiple products", the practical reality could be 2 (MC/Symph and DS), 3(MC and Symph. and DS), 4(FreeDV/AVCHD, MC, Symph. DS) or more.. or a certain combination. I do understand Avid is not allowed so say anything concrete like this.

For example Sony keeps expanding the format range. DigiBeta, IMX, HDCAM, DVCAM, HDV, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, and now NXCAM. They clearly believe it's best to have different formats for different budgets and different qualities.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:55 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 535
    • Points 6,830

Heres the thing, Avid as we all know is losing ground in visiablity. The fact that many have address the marketing team for not dong enough shows that many would agree. Many of you went out and purchased FCP for the fact  that many jobs were asking for a FCP editor or you wanted to be more diverse in your offerings. So yea I agree the young person should know Avid but at the same time when FCP is making themselves more visible then what should Avid do? Say will we are the big boys and you should come to us. That thinking has lead them into losing market share already. And I believe it reflects on both Avid and the young person. I did research and found out about Avid but I already knew about FCP just didnt want a Mac.

• Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:02 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

NICKB:

How many editors have you hired?  Avid and Final Cut are just tools, nothing more, nothing less.  If a young editor has real talent, I will hire him no matter what box he cuts on.  The tools can be taught, the skills as a talented editor cannot be taught. 

NICKB:

Nope.  Avid has to do a better job at getting in front of younger editors so they can show why they are a better product.  Up to this point Apple has done a far better job at that, hence Avid losing market share.  The simple answer is to know both.  Then you are covered.

Scott Witthaus

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:20 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

I would expect a young editor to have heard of Avid and be interested in it even if they were not trained on it.

switthaus:

e]

Nope.  Avid has to do a better job at getting in front of younger editors so they can show why they are a better product.

As i said Avid had a good training effort at the London broadcast show Apple did not even attend.

But i believe a young person should take the initiative and be interested in the whole eco  system of production so if they have never heard of Avid i would blame them for lack of research 

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:35 PM In reply to

NICKB:
    i believe a young person should take the initiative and be interested in the whole eco  system of production
    Me to. If students are content to learn the craft like parrots IMO they will end up being of no interest to prospective employers.

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:45 PM In reply to

The lack of initiative from a student and the lack of initiative from Avid to advertise itself are both bad. The lack of the one is not an excuse for the other, is it?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:16 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

But is Avid selling a commodity product which needs constant marketing, i think not.

And I see no Final Cut Pro marketing these days.

I also suspect that there are hardly any paid jobs for student editors anyway there has been a media training bubble over the last few years in my opinion so all those FCP students are either un-employed or working in other industries so it hardly matters.

Unless there is a new FCP coming soon i tend to think the pendulum is swinging back in Avid's favour as far as Pro paid editing is concerned.

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:19 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

AndrewAction:
    Me to. If students are content to learn the craft like parrots IMO they will end up being of no interest to prospective employers.

I don't agree.  Editorial is an art.  Editing on a system, any system, can be learned.  Give me the artist and I can teach him any system.  Anyone can "operate" an Avid/FCP/PP.  Not everyone is an editor/artist.  I will hire the artist over operator everytime.

Scott Witthaus

• Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:37 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

NICKB:
    in my opinion so all those FCP students are either un-employed or working in other industries so it hardly matters.

or they will do the work on their own FCP/MC Soft rigs at a lower cost than we can do and put US out of business!

;-)

NICKB:
    I also suspect that there are hardly any paid jobs for student editors anyway

Student editors, maybe, but these students will soon be out there competing for real work.  There are tons of FCP shops now, and more and more freelance gigs are asking for FCP experience.  The last two gigs I was hired to do, I wanted to cut on Avid, but the shops I had to work at had gone all Final Cut. In the freelance world, you are less marketable if you don't know both systems.  You're kidding yourself if you think "Avid-alone" is the best way to go in the freelance world.

Avid is doing a better job at getting in front of the younger editor recently and Apple's lack of marketing/development push in their Pro-Apps has helped.  Maybe Avid can turn it around, but, to the younger editor, Avid is starting from behind.

Scott Witthaus

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller