Latest post Fri, Jul 11 2014 11:07 PM by Ambar Sidhwani. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:47 PM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

MC start-up hangs on 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager'. why?

Hello,

MC often hangs up on 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager'.

Does this mean I should be worrying about one of my external SATA drives?  Is it a sign that a drive is bad, or going bad?

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:52 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

Re: MC start-up hangs on 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager'. why?

Just read the first little bit of the 'Report' that came up after I force-Quit Avid.  I find this odd:  

Process:         AirPort Base Station Agent [158]

Path:            /System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/AirPort Base Station Agent

UID:             501

Is my Airport Base Station involved in this?  

I'm not even sure I'm still using it.

And by the way, Media Composer (v. 4) operates via my dongle.

(in case any of this helps).

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:10 PM In reply to

I'm having the same problem on occasion, both Mac & PC.

I have no clue what's causing it.

OJJ

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 7:04 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,555

Hi there,

I got no response to my query of Feb. 11, so I sought out and found another thread on the same subject, that was a little more lively.  It's titled:  and you

MC 4.0.5 on Mac w Snow Leopard: Hanging on Startup

and you can read all about it at: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/79731.aspx

The bottom line, I think, is that our problems have to do with Snow Leopard's permissions.

Regards, Malcolm

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:28 PM In reply to

• Jay McCreary
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 15 2010
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I've just come across exactly the same problem.

I'm running Avid Media Composer 5.0, on a Windows XP machine.  It has been working fine since installation.

However, after a few weeks of not using the software, I've just fired it up again and it hangs on 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager'.

About 10 minutes later, it moves onto the next stage, and the remainder of boot-up is extremely slow.

Can anyone advise why this has started doing this, and how I can fix the problem?

Thanks.

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• Andy Ward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

I have experience this on a Mac and have asked AVID to investigate but with no luck.

However if you're connected via ethernet this might be causing your problems.

Simply unplugging the ethernet connection will get AVID going again after a few seconds. I've experienced the same problem when trying to import media, unplug the ethernet and bingo, it performs the operation.

It's a pain and i hope it gets  fixed because it stops you from being connected to other networks to receive media.

hope that solves it or helps

MC v4.05 & Nitris boxes Mac OS X 10.6.2 Mac Pro, 2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel X, 6 gb 800 mhz x4 HP xw8600 - Vista x1 Software only - Windows XP x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:37 PM In reply to

We've seen the same on PC's.  xw8400's and XP Pro.  No internet, but we are connected to ISIS.  Very intermittant.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Sep 22 2010 4:43 PM In reply to

Andy Ward:

However if you're connected via ethernet this might be causing your problems.

Simply unplugging the ethernet connection will get AVID going again after a few seconds. 

I've experienced the same problem on SL. Unplugging a cable is a little bit hard, when your mac resides in a machine room ;-)

the easiest way is to create two "locations" in network preferences-  one with ethernet enabled and one without. So you are able to simply switch between your needs ;-)

hth

julie

MC 2018.7.1 @ OS10.10.5 w/matrox mini 2x2.26 quad-core intel xeon w/32gb in my production company and MC 2018.12.1 @ OS 10.13.6 on macbook pro for teaching... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• jdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 363
    • Points 4,435

Don't know if this is related, but we had a problem with that occasional hang and Macro Manager hangs.  The Macro Manager hang has to do with the AMA settings combined with having no external drives mounted.  Disabling Volume Mounting in the settings stoped the Macro Manager hangs.  That was on 4.0.5.  Worth a try.

MC 2018.9 OS 10.13.6 ISIS 7000 (2018.6.1) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:03 PM In reply to

• Andy Ward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

Yep i've set up a new location in my mac network preferences because i've been so frustrated with mc hanging and giving me the spinning beachball of doom. In fact i'm so lazy i found an apple script that enables you to toggle between locations that i have then mapped to a keyboard shortcut

MC v4.05 & Nitris boxes Mac OS X 10.6.2 Mac Pro, 2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel X, 6 gb 800 mhz x4 HP xw8600 - Vista x1 Software only - Windows XP x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Avid 99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,520

I'm bumping this thread, because I'm back on MC after a hiatus.

Has this been fixed with any of the 503 patches?  Is creating another network pref or unplugging the cable the only way to get MC to launch without this hang?

Needless to say, it's an infuriating bug.

MBP 17" - 1x2 2.66 - 4G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - MC 6.0.3 ///// MacPro3,1 - 2x4 3GHz - 32G RAM - 10.7.4 - 7.6.6 - ATTO R680 SAS RAID5 (8x2TB) - MC 6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 8:11 PM In reply to

• VicFerr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 15 2005
    • Kitchener,ON
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

I am in Win7, and MC4.05. I have been working with removable drives all year without any problems.

Today for the first time I experienced this 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager' hang

on startup.
    I will describe what I did to fix my problem and maybe some more experienced users here can make

sense of it and find a better way to permanently fix this "bug", if we can call it a bug.

The Story:

I have been using removable drives for all my projects. For example I use 1TB drives for each

wedding, or for small projects like interviews, etc...I usually fit them all in the same 1TB

drive. I create an "Avid MediaFiles" folder on each drive and on "Media Creation Tool" I point

everything to that drive so all the media goes with it.

I can work on a project, and at any time, I just swap drives and I am able to work on another

project. I do all my editing on one computer, and when I'm finished editing I export to my "Output

folder" on that drive as a QTRef. On the Media Creation Tool I have pointed everything to this

removable drive. Now I take it to a second computer where I load any QTRef files on any third

party authoring app for Blu-Ray, DVD, or web encoding.

So this has been my workflow for months and I never experienced this problem, until now. So what

has changed now?

I always worked with 3 drives hooked up before: "C" "D" and 1 removable.Just recently I had to

work back and forth between 2 weddings, so I mounted 2 removables. That did not cause any problems

and I was able to alternate between the projects on both drives fairly easy. After I was done with

one project, I substituted that drive with another one that was pending on the shelf. No problems.

The problem only happened when I completed all those projects and removed all the drives to the

shelf. Now I no longer needed 2 removable drives, I was going to work on a wedding that was next

in line and only mounted that drive. This drive had all the media imported and was ready to start

editing. When I launched Avid MC, it got as far as 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager'

and it just stayed there. In task manager I stopped the process ...tried again...rebooted...tried

again...again and again. No luck.

Now here is the peculiar thing. I launched MDV, and guess what, it also hang, it could not find

any databases. I could not scan the drives, because they didn't show. I thought it was the "Avid

MediaFiles" folder that was corrupt. So I tried another drive with an older completed project and

that came up with no problems. That was reinforcing my corruption theory.

I mounted the troubled drive again, and same problem. It was not a big deal since I had not done

any editing, all this was gonna cost me was some "Fast Import" time. But before I start over with

this project, while avid was hung at 'Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager' I decided to

hotplug a drive with a previously completed project on a USB craddle. As soon as that drive

booted...bing-bang-bong...Avid was alive again, and all my projects came up (Avid projects folder

on "D' drive) and I purposely loaded the project on the trouble drive. Wow, it not only came up,

but all the media was intact. I then went into "Media Creation Tool" and noticed everything was

still pointing to "C". On import I had selected my import drive but hadn't changed the "Media

Creation Tool" yet. Could this be the problem. After I pointed everything to my removable drive, I

disconnected the USB drive, and was able to relaunch the troubled project without any problems.

Same thing with the MDV tool, it immediately found my drives and databases.

So my speculation is that since everything on "Media Creation Tool" was pointing to "C", and all

the media on my removable "V" had been pointed to "V" on import, both Avid and MDV where not able

to read something vital to their function. They seem to hang when only "V' was mounted, but had no

trouble as soon as I hotplugged another drive. And the difference is that when I start working on

a project I go into "Media Creation Tool" and point everything to that drive, this one was the

exception, since I had not started working on it.. So there must be a relationship between the

project settings that tell avid where that media is found? Something probably written to "Avid

MediaFiles" folder that was telling my media was in "C' when in fact it was "V".

Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge to make any sense of this, so I posted this hoping someone

with more experience can figure something out.If people with different workflows, OS's, MC

versions, experience this bug, maybe they can pinpoint something they all have or do in common.

Sorry for the long post, I tried keeping it short and I failed.

Victor

WinXP SP3/Antec-NeoPower 650W Blue/Abit IP35Pro/Quad 6600@2.4/Mushkin(2x2GB)DDR2 800/ATI 2600 Pro-8.620.0.0 drivers/Pioneer BDR203/WD-500G OS Drive/WD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:40 PM In reply to

I had this problem when my Mac was connected to a wireless router but the router itself was not connected to ADSL. It seems the software is trying to send a signal out over the internet and waiting endlessly for a reply. Just shut down your wireless connection and try again.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 5:06 PM In reply to

• Paul Quist
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Europe
    • Posts 17
    • Points 245

If your Avid MC stock or hang on start up "Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager" A way to fix it for a while (The problem will return after some time) for Mac users:  

Open disk utility. Highlight your disc(where your OS are installed) Let it repair disc permission.

Step 2. At the top of your desktop hit the GO button and "Go to folder" (shift+CMD+G) type in: /library

Find the folder "Cashes" Delete everything inside.

Reboot your Mac.

Work on both Avid Newscutter Nitris and Unity server system based on Windows/ and Media composer 6.5 on iMac 2,7 i5 thunderbolt MatroxO2mini [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:41 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,344
    • Points 60,335
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I was with you up to the "hit the GO button" part... I don't see a "Go button" ... although I should be able to find the "cashes" folder...

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.6.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller