Latest post Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:55 PM by jdrouette. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 25 2009 3:59 PM

• Yooda2004
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 31 2008
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Snow Leopard Avid Quicktime Codecs PE

Hi,

I upgraded to snow leopard.

I still have a MC 3.5.9 installed on my MacBook Pro 2,5GHz Intel Core Duo.

I haven't trid to run MC yet, but It's not crucial at this time.

I used to be able to play Quicktime movies exported in AVID MPEG 50 Mbits format in QT 7.

Now when I try to use the QT files in QT 7 or QT X, i have the sound but no picture. It's black !

I tried to reinstall the Avid Quicktime Codecs PE from my 3.5.9 download, but it's not working !!!

I really need this to work ! What did I do wrong and what can I do to get it to work again !!!!

Thanks !

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:09 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,370
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Snow Leopard Avid Quicktime Codecs PE

Yooda....

Snow Leopard was tested and qualified on MC 4.0.4.  Thats the first thing to note as MC 3.5.9 was not approved with snow leopard.

Second........ QuickTime X was tested and supported with Snow Leopard and Avid Media Composer
    v4.0.4 however, Apple does NOT have a QuickTime Pro version of QuickTime X at this time.

Users of QT Pro should be sure to choose the optional QT 7 install. Also, Snow Leopard removes the MPEG2 codec component if you had it installed previously under FCP. If you have FCP installed or if
    you purchased the MPEG 2 codec from Apple, first move it from your codecs folder to the desktop before upgrading to Snow Leopard.

The best bet if you dont know the proper steps is to call support and have them assist.  When you registered your MC with Avid you shoud have received an email from us acknoweldeging your registation and on that email came a Service Access Code to call in to support.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:28 PM In reply to

• Yooda2004
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Hi,

Thanks. those are great tips BEFORE upgrading to snow leopard. But it's too late since I already did...

I reinstalled the MPEG 2 Codec from APPLE, and QT7 is installed and works fine.

When I open a file, I get a flash of the image it is supposed to play and then it's black.

I have no problem to upgrade to 4.0.4, but I want to be sure i will work after...

Thanks for your response.

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,370
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yooda....

That's why you should always check FIRST.  :)

The keys here are - clean install of Snow Leopard not an upgrade as indicated on the MC 4.0.4 page ( avid recommends clean install).  There are also tech notes on downlaod center and you are to use the new OS with MC 4.0.4.  Thats what was tested and thats what we have data on. 

I suggest you uninstall the 3.5.9 software ( if on SW activation - deactivate first) and then downlaod the MC 4.0 trial version which works for 30 days and see if the proper combination works.  Otherwise you would be asking someone to setup a non approved config to check it and unfortuantely I dont want to do that on my Mac and have issues crop up where I cant help others this weekend.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:46 PM In reply to

• Yooda2004
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Marianna,

Thanks, I didn't check because it's really not my main machine for editing, I have other Macs with MC running quite fine, I juste use my laptop as backup, so MC is really not the issue here... But I use the files exported from Avid in MPEG 50 Mbits in After Effects and since I cannot use them anymore it's a problem for me...

I'll try what you explained and see where it gets me...

Thanks.

J.

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,370
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Cool....  I will be traveling today but will check in later and this weekend as well.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:23 PM In reply to

• Yooda2004
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

OK, here's a tough one...

I installed MC 4.0.4 in trial mode.

It launches ok. Seems to work but I didn't really test it through.

When I import a quicktime movie that is in AVID MPEG 50 Mbits in the same resolution, it works fine, it does a FAST import and everythng and it plays OK, with sound and pictures.

The exact same Quicktime movie played in either QT 7 PRO or QT X gets a black picture and sound with a quick flash of the image when openend in QT 7.

If I export the imported media (wich plays OK in MC) in QT (same as source export so AVID MPEG 50 Mbit) I again get a black picture and sound OK.

So my problem is not really with AVID on snow Leopard since MC seems to work, but with the MPEG codec wich is a problem because the TV station I work with does everything in MPEG 30 and I use a lot of their files in After Effects...

I know I should have checked here first but I though 'OK, I might not be able to use MC 3.5.9 on my laptop anymore, but I have three other mac with MC installed in a perfect editing suite so it's no big deal... I never thought I would have problems with the codecs...

I was afraid with QT X since there is no 'PRO' version but I read that I could continue to use QT 7 so I figured it was OK.

Crazy thing, if I open a QT movie in Apple no compression 8 bit 4:2:2 codec for example, I can export it in AVID MPEG 50 Mbit. I play it in QT, no picture. I import that same file in MC, everything works fine...

PAUSE while I was trying something...

Here is the real crazy part. I launch After Effects CS3 and import the QT files in AVID MPEG 50 Mbits, and they work just fine... Picture and sound !

So hopefully this lets me continue to work in AE, but if I want to make a render and just play it in QT, I get no picture...

I guess the problem in is QT, but I would understand if it didn't work in QT X, ut why not in QT 7 since it was working just fine in 10.5.8...

By the way my version of QT 7 is 7.6.3 ...

Hope you can sort it out....

Thanks.

Jerome.

• Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:43 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 400
    • Points 5,220

I'm having similar problems with the Avid DV codec on 2 different systems.

I wiped the drive and clean installed SL.

Updated to 10.6.2, installed 4.04.

All the clips I export (or had exported) with the Avid DV codec (or QT reference from DV25/50 media) have black video in both QT 7 and X. DNxHD exports play fine.

Has anyone else successfully exported DV clips in Snow Leopard and had them play back?

jd

Avid Media Composer 2019.6 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.0), macOS 10.14.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 20 2009 10:05 PM In reply to

• Friendlyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

I'm having the same issue with MC 4.0.4 under Sn'eopard.  Clean install on a brand new MacBook Pro.

Black playback in Quicktime.  Was this ever resolved?

Thanks!

Joe

MacBookPro5,2. OS X 10.6.6 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz. 8GB SDRAM. MC 5.0.3. QT 10.0 (118). QT 7.6.6 (1756). 4TB G-Raid. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:38 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 497
    • Points 5,985

I'm also getting the same black screen when I export Same as Source SD QTs.  But if I just go ahead and export the file from QT7 to say an H.264 (or anything really), then it's fine.

I have found that when I open the QT, if the screen is black, then if I just manually move the time bar along to the end and back a few times the picture returns.

BTW VLC works fine, so I think it's a problem with how QT handles certain codecs.

Media Composer 2019.7.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.5 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:54 PM In reply to

• chomper129
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,635

QT in Snow Leopard has been completely jacked in my opinion.  I have had nothing but problems, and weird issues with both Quicktime X (which is absolutely the worst thing Apple has ever put out, in my opinion) and with the older QT 7.  Makes me wish I never went to snow leopard. At least MC 4.04 is working well.

MC 8.8 and 10.11.6 on a 8 core Mac Pro trash can with Blackmagic studio express, ISIS 5000 at work and MC 8.8 on a Quad i7 27" iMac at home [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:55 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 400
    • Points 5,220

The issue has been identified by Avid and has been escalated:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/77827.aspx

Hopefully, in the next update...

jd

Avid Media Composer 2019.6 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.0), macOS 10.14.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller