Latest post Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:02 AM by Hardwire. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 4:57 AM

• Hardwire
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 28 2007
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

More Mojo SDI fun - this time with Digibeta deck

Hi friends,

I was going to try to get some use out of the Mojo SDI I bought a wile back but once again, no dice.  This time I'm trying to capture video from a Sony J-30SDI deck by plugging it into the SDI cable from the Mojo video input harness.  No signal. I'm in a 1080i project, set at 30i NTSC to capture.  I tried other 30i projects as well to no avail.

I pull down the "Auto-configure" tab in the digitize tool, and I get this message:  "Auto-configure will not be successful becase "Avid DNA" is currently not selected.  Please select "Avid DNA" before auto-configuring this channel."  I click OK, nothing happens.  The DNA button next to the vu meters on the timeline is selected.  It says DNA, as it should, ja?

An hour on these forums reveals many Mojorrific deck control stories, but I can find no clear path to set this thing properly to get video from, or control a Digibeta. Some people seem to think it's about what order the devices are turned on, but not for me.  I've played extensively with the Deck Configuration settings:  I add a channel, making it firewire on Avid DNA.  I try to apply this setting and get this:  "Please switch to 1394 Mode before configuring an OHCI device."

I then rebuilt the desktop, turned all other FW devices off, but still no luck.  Every time I go back to the Deck Configuration setting, the setting box opens up empty.  No channels are represented.  Frustrating?  Just a teeeeeeeeeeeeny bit.  I would most humbly accept a pointer or two how to get out of this spot.

Thanks!

2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro. 3GB RAM. Bus speed 1.33 GHz. 1 TB hard drive w/3 striped partitions, 3 TB G-Raid on FW800, 250G Rocstar FW 400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 6:18 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,900

Re: More Mojo SDI fun - this time with Digibeta deck

Here's my suggestion, and it's probably going to be the most useful to you.  Find a very good technical assistant editor or someone who works at an Avid rental house.  Pay them them to set up you system exactly how it needs to be set up and have them walk you thru it step by step and explain why everything is set the way it's set.  Then, have them run you thru the handful of regular problems that you're going to get.  Your future clients will be thankful for it (whether they know it or not) and so will your forehead, since you'll no longer have to bang it against a wall.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 6:50 AM In reply to

I have captured countless hours of DigiBeta tapes from my J-3 deck into my MC with Mojo SDI. No problems. However, I'm pretty sure that, in order to capture over SDI, you should connect the J-player over RS422, not FireWire. For that, on a Mac, you need something like a Keyspan adapter. Not sure which type.

Unless you are planning to capture as DV25, then you could use the FW connection for video, audio and control.

If the deck doesn't show up, then usually it's a question of Add Channel (choose FireWire), then configure automatically or manually.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:02 AM In reply to

• Hardwire
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 28 2007
    • Posts 15
    • Points 255

Since this is a 1-day rental deck, and I'm the client, I had to make this work for the client's needs.  I never thought I'd say this, but good ol' firewire came to the rescue.  For a few clips, it was at least a slight improvement over dv25.  For old archival footage, not really.

The good thing is, I won't have to mess with that MJ stuff again until I've fully staffed my Avid Support department with an army of techy elves and organizing twinkies.  Another good thing I'd like to focus on:  I only have a few HDV clips left to grab on my own before I can call this show Finished.  HDV FW capturing used to be hellish, but now it sounds kind of nice, in a nostalgic, dysfuncitional family memory kind of way...

2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro. 3GB RAM. Bus speed 1.33 GHz. 1 TB hard drive w/3 striped partitions, 3 TB G-Raid on FW800, 250G Rocstar FW 400... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller