Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2006 7:11 AM by BLKDOG. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 13 2006 6:35 AM

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Palm Springs, California!
    • Posts 12
    • Points 240

Xpress on MacBook Pro?

Hi all,

I bought the Academic version of Xpress Pro a few months ago (came with PC and Mac versions). I had trouble running it on my current PC, and I decided to get a Mac. I needed/wanted a new computer anyway, and I've always wanted a Mac. I thought this was smart since I already had a Mac version of Avid. Anyway, I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro and was wondering what the compatibility with Xpress Pro is? I'm basically sold on the MacBook either way, but I'm hoping my lovely Avid software that I haven't even gotten the chance to use yet wont go to waste.

I know there might not be too much information on this, and searching didn't really turn up any solid answers for me. Thanks for any and all help!
    Dell Inspiron 5160 Pentium 4 3.06ghz 40gb 512mb RAM (will be upgraded to 2gb asap) Windows XP SP2 Adobe Premiere 6.5 Trying to get Xpress Pro HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2006 7:11 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Xpress on MacBook Pro?

First off, how could we know? the first Macbooks don't even roll out until next month. That means that AVID hasn't even seen one to try and qualify it.

Suffice to say that it, at this point, will not work. Any software that expects to run on an Intel-based mac bust be written in dual Binary, which AVID isn't, or run through a Rosetta Stone translator, which AVID will not. So, you're out of luck until this summer. AVID has said that they are trying to recompile their code for the new intel Macs by sometime around the middle of this year.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller