Latest post Tue, May 12 2009 12:21 PM by siencs. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 11 2009 6:43 AM

Imported audio size / length limit in Avid ?

I am trying to import a 1.3GB wav file which is 24 hours long of LTC timecode to use in syncing up some externally recorded audio with my Avid clips, but Media Composer seems to be rejecting the file. Dose anyone know if / what the maximum wav file length or size is when importing into an Avid bin. I may be able to break this file up until a few chunks and get some use from it, but I would like to keep it in as few parts as possible.

• Mon, May 11 2009 7:10 AM In reply to

Re: Imported audio size / length limit in Avid ?

To answer my own question, it seems that a 12 hour wav file is working. I opened the 24 hour file up in Audacity and split it in half and now Avid seems to be slowly importing the long LTC wav. Since this is all I need now, I will experiment with it more later, but if anyone knows the real answer, I would still like to know.

• Mon, May 11 2009 9:36 AM In reply to

Hi,

I don't know of any limit on the size of a file. 

seedavework:
    Media Composer seems to be rejecting the file.

What happens when you try and import?  What does "seems to be rejecting the file" look like?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, May 11 2009 3:24 PM In reply to

There are some people having problems with timelines going up to 24 hours (e.g. here).

Would be great if you could post back if your two 12h audiofiles can be edited in one timeline and if you could test playback in a section within the last couple of hours.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 11 2009 8:46 PM In reply to

What I end up with when the import gets rejected is a representation of the wav file in my bin with a clip length of 01 frames that will not actually play. The import of the 24 hour files appears as if it took only about a minute (but there is nothing you can play back) while the 12 hour file took several minutes to import (and show the length properly).

I will try to import the second half of the 24 hour file and see if Avid will allow me to make a sequence longer then 24 hours. I may also try cutting the audio file down to say 23 hours and see if that also works.

I have a sequence with a little more then 12 hours of source footage I am wanting to transcribe to text. I am using speech recognition to do my transcription and then plugging the .wav of me dictating to the dialog back into avid (as a new track) so script sync can match my text (from the speech program) to my voice reading the text. Since this is behind the scenes work with lots of noise and talking script sync cant follow the program audio, but it can perfectly follow my audio reading the dialog back (which I needed to do for the speech software in the first place).

If Avid would let me punch in my audio to the timeline without playing a delayed version back to me, I would not need to time sync it to the original footage in the first place (as Avid would do that for me), but because that is not working, I am recording LTC to one track and my vocal transcript to another, so I can match the recorded audio up to the source footage when I bring it back into Avid.

• Tue, May 12 2009 8:49 AM In reply to

Hi,

seedavework:
    What I end up with when the import gets rejected is a representation of the wav file in my bin with a clip length of 01 frames that will not actually play. The import of the 24 hour files appears as if it took only about a minute (but there is nothing you can play back) while the 12 hour file took several minutes to import (and show the length properly).

This is just a hunch, but it sounds like the sort of weird thing you sometimes get with variable bit rate files.  Is there any difference in how the 24 and 12 hour files were created?

good luck,

Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, May 12 2009 12:21 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Also just a hunch but is it possible that your 24hr LTC track is actually 24hrs and one frame? What are the precise durations of the two 12 hour files and the start and end timecodes? And do the clip timecodes reflect the LTC?

If the 24hr file has a starting timecode of 00:00:00:00 and then runs for 24 hours and one frame ending at 00:00:00:01 then I'd imagine that would cause your single frame problem.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller