Latest post Wed, May 13 2009 1:55 AM by general_failure. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 9 2009 6:50 PM

Recording punch in voice over with no delay or input muted for script sync

I am trying to record a voice over to a new track in my timeline while watching the playback live. I am connected directly to the Aux in input of my Macbook Pro 15 and have selected that at the input source. When I start record there is about a 1 second delay between when I speak and when I hear myself played back thru the computer. This is enough to throw off my focus while speaking.

I can not figure out any way to either mute my input completely or listen to it live. My only solution so far has been to record the Audio separately into a Zoom recorded and then import it into Avid later. This not only wastes additional time, but with two different devices recording I expect there will be some sync drift with longer recording session. It also complicates things because I cant stop anything without loosing my sync.

I need to hear the timeline audio so working without sound is not an option. Is there any way to record using Audio Punch in or another tool to keep the audio synced to the source material in Avid.

My workflow (which I think is pretty clever) is to watch my footage while dictating to a new audio file (currently on the ZOOM recorder) everything that is spoken. I then pass my voice thru a voice recognition package to generate a fairly accurate text transcript of the session. I can then import the transcript into Avid and a script and use the Script Sync to match my transcript up with my voice. Now I have a completely synced script which I can use to navigate the footage.

I tried using Script Sync matched against the original footage, but because it was shot behind the scenes with many different people talking, Avid did not match things correctly all the time. Since the only audio I am syncing to now is what I recorded in my quite edit suite, I get excellent results from Avid. The trouble is making sure that my audio matches up to the original footage to it all stays in sync. If I have to stop the playback because I cant keep up, this causes a problem. If I can do this as a VO using punch in, i would keep my voice locked to the picture.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

• Mon, May 11 2009 5:34 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Re: Recording punch in voice over with no delay or input muted for script sync

I do this all the time... I switch off the speakers. Although, if you need to listen to the back-track of the edit (not your live VO) just kill the audio of the VO channel.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Mon, May 11 2009 8:33 PM In reply to

I do need to listen to the sequence audio I am commenting on so I can not just turn off the speakers. I have tried to turn off the audio for the VO channel, but I cant seem to make that work. For the moment, I am recording into the Audacity while playing back from Avid. Its not the cleanest solution, but its working until I find a better solution.

• Tue, May 12 2009 8:33 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

If you cannot switch off the speakers can you not seperate the channels so the audio you comment on is on the left and the VO record is on the right.. then switch off the right speaker/channel? I do this all the time to record VO and have no issues...

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Wed, May 13 2009 1:55 AM In reply to

seedavework:
    I do need to listen to the sequence audio I am commenting on so I can not just turn off the speakers. I have tried to turn off the audio for the VO channel, but I cant seem to make that work.

1. you can mute the track you are recording your VO to in two seperate ways: either mute it by pressing the "m" in the audio mixer tool on the appropriate channel or by clicking on the speaker sign of the appropriate channel in the timeline.

Another option could be: when you open your "Audio Tool" channel 1 should show a (very) small "I" above it when the "Audio Punch-In Tool" is opened. Click on that "I", it will change to an "O" and therefore it will not show you any input meters but it should prevent your "live" VO to be monitored.

2. if those software solutions doesn't work for you I would suggest buying an audio mixer. That one must not be to expensive, you just need at least 5 tracks of mono audio: two from the MC, two to the MC and one from the mic to the MC. With an external mixer you will have perfect control about what you want to hear, what gets recorded at which level and so on.

I am not in front of my MC and I am not 100% sure, by mind, how all those ways work exactly. Trial and error before investing money.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller