Latest post Fri, Jul 10 2009 9:57 PM by Randall L. Rike. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 4:50 PM

• dmooch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 27 2007
    • New York
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

3GB INSTALLER PROBLEM

I have an HP xw8600 Workstation

Intel Xeon 3ghz

3.25gb of Ram

Windows XP SP2

I have a Symphony Nitris DX runinning software version 3.1.1

When the  AVID was first setup the 3gb.exe application was run in order to modify the virtual memory for the DX. So when the Machine boots up I get 2 boot options:

Windows XP Professional Avid 2.5GB

Windows XP Professional

"Please Select The Operating System To Start"

Like all my previous systems I choose the "Avid 2.5gb" and everything worked great - Until recently. I'm not sure what happened, and this is my problem. When I choose "Avid 2.5gb" My machine goes to the login in window, but this time the Login Dialogue Box doesn't pop up, so I can't log into Windows, I tried everyting CTRL_ALT_DEL, nothing makes the box appear. When I shut down and turn the computer on and start it using the 2nd option of "Win XP PRO" I can login into XP and launch all my applications. But now when I start up AVID i get a box that appears "For Nitris DX the approved virtual memory setting is 2500mb. Your currently virtual memoryis set to 2047mb. Please run Install3gb.exe to adjust your virual memory settings - 'continue' 'quit' " I click continue and everything runs fine. I've tried going into the installer and removing the 2500mb setting and re-installing it, but when I do this I still get the same problem when I boot the machine up.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

thanks,

Dominick

Media Composer 6.5.2.1 Nitris DX | MacPro 2x2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon| ATI Radeon HD 5770 | OSx 10.7.5| Avid ISIS | [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 7 2009 1:41 AM In reply to

Re: 3GB INSTALLER PROBLEM

First doublecheck that CTRL+ALT+DEL hitting twice doesn't give you the logon screen.

Then try to go into Windows without the 2.5gb setting and just re-install the install3GB.exe (to check what has changed make sure that your folders show hidden files and open the c:\boot.ini file, before and after the install3GB.exe was executed, copy the text for future reference).

If that doesn't help do the following at your own risk and only if you can interpret the boot.ini file:

1. Boot from your OS CD/DVD, go to the console and do a "FIXMBR" command, then reinstall the install3GB.exe

if that doesn't work

2. Make sure that your folders show hidden files

Go to C:\ and open the boot.ini and check that following is in there (without quotes):

"[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"

and delete anything else. Restart and reinstall the install3GB.exe.

Again, if anything goes wrong when doing things like screwing around in the boot.ini you might have to repair your OS with the OS CD/DVD or even have to reinstall your OS! So backup any files on C: (especially project data) before doing so. An image of your C: drive can't hurt you.

I do not feel comfortable when giving tips like this, but it is the only solution which comes to my mind besides reinstalling your OS. Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 10 2009 8:06 PM In reply to

• Alen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 10 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

1. In Windows Explorer, enter C:/boot.ini in the Address bar.

2. The boot.ini file opens in the default text editor.

3. Add the tag /3GB to the end of the line. This tag tells the OS to use only 1 GB of virtual memory for the kernel, or central component, of the OS, leaving the other 3 GB of virtual memory for the application.

Example:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin/fastdetect /3GB

5. Save and close the boot.ini file.
    6. Restart the system for the changes to the boot.ini file to take effect.

Yes

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 9:57 PM In reply to

"3. Add the tag /3GB to the end of the line."

By itself, this is wrong.  Too much memory will be redirected.  The Avid 3GB.exe adds the argument to adjust the memory properly.  The manual version would be "/3GB/USERVA=2500"

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller