Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2009 1:07 PM by tarsem antil. 83 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 28 2009 5:25 AM In reply to

Re: New Thinking - who, the editors or Avid ???

.-I don't think Avid should open to third party Hardware. It would kill their own line of HW.

What Avid should do is lower their HW prices. Or at least offer reasonable priced solutions for the small busines along with their more expensive Hardware.

I'm yet to see a single Mojo DX in any of the many posthouses that I  know, big or small.

AJA, Blackmagic and others are actually managing to make a profit even with their low prices, And even though they don't sell software, Unities, Storage, etc as Avid does.

Why doesn't Avid?

More importantly, Avid MUST open their own hardware to third party apps.

Is simply unacceptable that the only thing I can use with I.E. the Mojo DX is the Avid software. No After effects monitoring, no Photoshop, no Combustion, no nothing.

Also, Avid MUST offer some kind of affordable HD monitor-only solution.

Everyone in this forum knows that I hate the guts of FCP while I love Avid more than anything else, but even a die hard Avid zealot like me is "tempted" when something like th MXO2, the MXO2 mini or the new AJA Xpress box shows up.

The Company I work with used to be an FCP free posthouse less than one year ago.

Now we have TWO FCP stations with Decklinks,...

...one of them is now the main editing station!!

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 6:17 PM In reply to

raspago:

I don't think Avid should open to third party Hardware. It would kill their own line of HW.

What Avid should do is lower their HW prices.

Lowering the price might just kill the line of HW as well, if you can't pay for the R&D then you can't continue. 

raspago:

More importantly, Avid MUST open their own hardware to third party apps.

Is simply unacceptable that the only thing I can use with I.E. the Mojo DX is the Avid software. No After effects monitoring, no Photoshop, no Combustion, no nothing.

I think it's all about the path of least resistance.  If all those other apps already work with AJA/BMD/MXO, then it seems to me it would be easier to adapt Avid's software (which Avid has full control over) rather than modifying it's hardware to meet the needs of a variety of software from different vendors. 

Mojo at one time worked with AE, but now it doesn't.  Do you think it's because Avid decided "we don't want to continue to  offer this feature"? or more like Adobe changed something in AE that prevented the Avid hardware from working?  Software can be molded to adapt to emerging hardware technologies, but once you have a piece of hardware - that's it (aside from maybe a Firmware re-vision or something)  If the hardware becomes obsolete because of a 3rd party software change, it becomes a boat anchor.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 6:31 PM In reply to

Lowering the price might just kill the line of HW as well, if you can't pay for the R&D then you can't continue.

.- AJA already has lower prices and, AFAIK, they haven't filed for bankruptcy. Actually they have more R& D movement than Avid, since the line is far more frecuently renewed than Avid's.

Same goes to Decklink, Matrox and others.

And the AJA line of products is so good is the hardware of choice of Autodesk and Avid highest end products!!!

I think it's all about the path of least r..........      ................................something)  If the hardware becomes obsolete because of a 3rd party software change, it becomes a boat anchor.

.- Again, AJA (and others) does it. And they are still happilly running and making profits.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 7:58 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

raspago:

That is a good point however if they do not lower the price to stay competitive they cannot continue in business so will not need  R&D!

Avid management need to look at why they cannot make an i/o box as cheap as everyone else can, maybe Avid pays it' staff to much $ compared to AJA or perhaps the product is badly designed to make at low cost, who knows.

The market will vote with its wallet in this economy and may go FCP so Avid will end up with a zero $ sale but maintain a high sticker price.

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 8:25 PM In reply to

NICKB:
    Avid management need to look at why they cannot make an i/o box as cheap as everyone else can

Why is price point the only thing anyone ever compares between the FCP w/AJA and MC w/NitrisDX comparison? 

I'd like to see a compare list for: 

How many streams of RT performance?

Input/Output connections?

Caveats or other compromises?

and a lot of other important factors.  

The price point may well be justified based on the value the item adds to your system.

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 8:32 PM In reply to

NICKB:
    AJA or perhaps the product is badly designed to make at low cost, who knows.
    More probably (IMO) AJA etc make and sell 1000's of basic signal convertors for every one DX box sold. 1 or 2 cheap chips with a few connectors.  On to that foundation they add a LITTLE more complexity and create their higher price range models.

IMO the Avid boxes have always been and are still better designed and offer significant quality improvements for those required to deliver to standards based clients.  Wether these differences are worth the price differential to individual consumers is up to each customers needs and wallet to decide.

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 9:57 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Agreed features are important when you compare products, however (i feel like swearing here) i just want to see a full quality picture from the Avid on my HD SDI monitor, I have no need for analogue (it must be over 10 years since i have seen a BetaSP tape! i work tapeless.

The Nitris box in the UK is the price of a brand new car, paying the price of a brand new car just to get a full quality picture on a SDI monitor seems silly even if i can make a business case for it.

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 10:16 PM In reply to

NICKB:
    it must be over 10 years since i have seen a BetaSP tape!

lol... I'm about to load up the last of 37 BetaSP tapes to capture it for a project.  My clients also love BetaSP masters, but a lot of what I end up delivering as a final product is web/file-based.  

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 11:02 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Yes i am amazed that in the US you still use BetaSP, in the UK it died many many years ago, everything went Digibeta no broadcaster would even accept BetaSP as a master.

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 11:26 PM In reply to

• nicov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 7 2006
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,330

NICKB:
    i just want to see a full quality picture from the Avid on my HD SDI monitor, I have no need for analogue (it must be over 10 years since i have seen a BetaSP tape! i work tapeless.

Then no need for nitris DX, mojo DX is enought. It still is 5K for just SD/HD SDI I/O and hdmi output.

I think Avid should come up with a card (not a bob) giving just  SD/HD hdmi output only to adress monitoring purposes. I'm sure they can deliver that for less than 1K. Everybody would then be happy and it would'nt kill their current HW line. 

OSX 10.5.5 / MC 3.1.3 / Mojo DX / octo 2.8 Macpro / 6g ram / Ati 2600 + Ati 3870 / 2x Nec 19' + JVC DTV24 / Sony HVR M15 / 2To sata raid0 / [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 1:04 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

UK price of the

DX is about £5000 that is $8,258

Nitris DX £8000 which is $13,200

(box only no software)

How does that compare to prices in the USA?

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:07 AM In reply to

I think it breaks down as $7500 for MojoDX and $12,500 for NitrisDX - (again box only)

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:11 AM In reply to

• nicov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 7 2006
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,330

US prices are better because of the exchange rates . 7500$ for mojo DX and with a promotional price (just ended) at 5000$ with the upgrade to MC 3.5 bundled. That's what I just bought and with the shipment to France it ended up being 3600€ excluding taxes so I guess around 3000 pounds.

OSX 10.5.5 / MC 3.1.3 / Mojo DX / octo 2.8 Macpro / 6g ram / Ati 2600 + Ati 3870 / 2x Nec 19' + JVC DTV24 / Sony HVR M15 / 2To sata raid0 / [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:39 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

nicov, that is a good deal and close enough to be a fair price, well done.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 4:23 AM In reply to

Why is price point the only thing anyone ever compares between the FCP w/AJA and MC w/NitrisDX comparison? 

.-  Avid DS does use an AJA Xena 2K card.

Autodesk's flagship products Smoke, Flame and Inferno too.

Why noy Avid MC w/Aja?

Do they wanna keep their HW proprietary?

Then, get rid of most of the R&D and hardware production hassle, buy an OEM product from AJA (or make them build a custom one), put in a proprietary firmware and sell it at a more reasonable price.

More selling, more profit and less headaches.

Page 5 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller