Latest post Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:11 PM by AndrewAction. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:18 PM

• xkiller45x
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 17 2006
    • louisiana
    • Posts 43
    • Points 690

MID is M.I.A. and can't be found!

I have been experiencing a new problem with my .mmob and .mmid, my OMFI's were slowing my computer down and constantly scanning for corrupt files when I didn't want them to, I tried to delete my mob and mid's but now my mid is missing in action and I do not know what happened to it.

I have refreshed my OMFI's closed the program restarted and now my files are saying there is something corrupt and that I should quarintine those files, when I do this my projects lose the memory of what I did before I shut them down and I lose my edits throughout entire projects.

avid xpress pro 2002 service pack 2 v5.6 a pentium 4 2.20Ghz with 1GB of RAM no mojo dual internal drives a C: drive with 37.2GB of space with... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: MID is M.I.A. and can't be found!

Just to be sure, the two files you should delete in the OMFI folder are the two the identify by type as "MSM Media Database". Those two files have the suffixes ".pmr" and ".mdb". After deleting those two files, during re-launch of the application, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You should see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at that point. It would be EXTREMELY unusual for this not to happen. Can you confirm this workflow (before we go any further)?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:52 PM In reply to

• xkiller45x
    • Not Ranked
    • louisiana
    • Posts 43
    • Points 690

Yes those are the only files deleted, it does scan as you said but once the scanning reaches a certain point it tells me about more corrut files, it then gives me the option to quarintine, ignore, or abort the scanning of those files, I have quarintined before and that sent every single file into media offline, same goes for abort, the only way that I have been able to get my files back is to ignore the corrupt files.

After figuring that out and deleting my mob and mid's my problems became worse because now the avid constantly tries to eother rescan or rebuild the missing files, but it never brings back the mid.

avid xpress pro 2002 service pack 2 v5.6 a pentium 4 2.20Ghz with 1GB of RAM no mojo dual internal drives a C: drive with 37.2GB of space with... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 6:01 PM In reply to

My standard procedure under those circumstances is to choose "ignore all" during the initial rebuild. 99% of the time, the rebuild will continue and successfully finish and everything will come up online. However, if the rebuild fails, I do a second database rebuild and tell it to quarantine all flagged files. Those files flagged are corrupted and cannot be repaired or recovered. The database rebuild will be successful, but there will be media offline holes corresponding to those particular files, and new clips and media will need to be created to replace them.

If you've tried that workflow and still cannot get a successful rebuild, you can try deleting and rebuilding the site settings files and/or create a new user profile and see if the problem persists. If this problem is contained to a specific project, you can delete and rebuild the "(Project Name)settings.avs" file as well.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 6:03 PM In reply to

How many files are in the folder?  You may have too many to scan before memory runs out.  Anything over 5,000 can be problematic.  The folder also might be corrupt.  You might try renaming thr original folder, and making a new one.  The fast and safe way is to send some new media to that drive.  I like Create Tone Media, as it's fast and simple.  Once the media is created, verify the media file is there, and the 2 msm's.

Then, grab a few hundred media files from the original folder, and move them to the new folder.  Launch Avid, and the files should be scanned & indexed.  If this works, continue moving media to the new folder.

If you have an excessive number of files you might want to either use additional partitions, or set up "virtual drives".  Do a search, and you can find out about "virtual drives". 

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 5:20 PM In reply to

• xkiller45x
    • Not Ranked
    • louisiana
    • Posts 43
    • Points 690

And now I have a new problem, another avid that I was working on now is simply just messed up, I was doing some late night edit and then it began to freeze, I thought it was trying to auto save but after it sat there for to long I tried to save and then left the program. Once I reopened the project it began scanning my files for no apparent reason, and now it will scan for close to 40 minutes then ask me the old standard if I want to ignore, abort, or quarintine. After I hit abort it will begin the scan again and simply freeze for all eternity between 43%-45%. Tell me world am I the problem because this is driving me insane. I'm working with simple 24p footage one or two clips maybe in the 30fps form but it never hurt my avid before, I wasn't exporting or deleting I was simply editing my footage.

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 8:53 PM In reply to

... and, in response to my previous questions and suggestions?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 10:11 PM In reply to

• xkiller45x
    • Not Ranked
    • louisiana
    • Posts 43
    • Points 690

well after your suggestion, my co-worker decided to emtpy out alot of the files in the OMFI's in the 1st avid that was having problems, and with your suggestion I checked on the second and the folder has over 12,000 files on it, as of right now I will setup a separate folder in our server and move a majority of the oldest files to that, but is this really the root of my problem, having to many files in 1 area?

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 10:20 PM In reply to

"... but is this really the root of my problem, having to many files in 1 area? ..."

It certainly could be.  If nothing else, it'll be a good diagnostic test.

(wwld)

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 7:18 PM In reply to

• xkiller45x
    • Not Ranked
    • louisiana
    • Posts 43
    • Points 690

Well now that I have moved over 4,600 files over to an external drive, my avid finally reopened and you were right, so now I have a new question, with this avid there are 2 continuous projects that will be editted and changed until next year and they are big projects that are specified for this computer only, along with the fact that we also edit commercials on this avid from time to time so what can I do to keep the OMFI's from filling up all over again, what do you suggest?

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 7:29 PM In reply to

I would suggest that first you delete any projects and their media that are out of date and no longer needed. And be sure to use the media tool to do this, so that you delete all pre-computes (rendered effects, titles, imported matte keys, etc.) as well as master clips and their media.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 8:05 PM In reply to

Does your version of Xpress Pro support MXF media, in Settings > Media Creation?  MXF utilizes sub-folders, and automatically cascades to a new folder every 5,000 files-ish.  If not, you might want to upgrade to Media Composer.  However, if limited to OMF media, you only have a few choices.  Two of which, I detailed above.  The other is to keep deleting or archiving media.  MDV works well for archiving & deleting by project.

http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/

(wwld)

• Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:11 PM In reply to

xkiller45x:
    what can I do to keep the OMFI's from filling up all over again, what do you suggest?
    Follow Randall's earlier suggestion to research creating virtual drives. 

Use one (or more) virtual drives for each project.

Use MDV (a free media management tool) to move all the current media for any project to it's own virtual drive.

House keeping. Periodically right click on a projects Virtual drive to see how many files are in the projects OMFI Media Files folder.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller