Latest post Mon, Nov 24 2008 11:02 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 24 2008 7:16 PM

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

Synching efficiently

I've had projects with sync sound as well as multicam, so I know about autosync as well as making subsequences and turning them into subclips. The question is whether there is a faster way to do all this?  As of now the only way I know of to sync sound to picture is to mark in the clap and then either select each pair and autosync, or drop each into a timeline, select the clip, make subclip, and hit autosync to turn it into a subclip.  I fortunatly realized I can select multiple subsequences when doing the autosync part, but is there a way that's faster still?  It feels like a really long way to do this (selecting and sublclipping every shot).

This is under the assumption that the clips do not share timecode. If they do, can multiple (seperate) elements be selected and automatically paired based on timecode?

Thanks.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Avid Media Composer v6.0.1 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]

I trust orange juice more than I trust most people.

• Mon, Nov 24 2008 8:01 PM In reply to

Re: Synching efficiently

Codec Moment:
    share timecode. If they do, can multiple (seperate) elements be selected and automatically paired based on timecode?

Yes. AutoSync, choose Source TC ort Aux TC to sync.

Without timecode, how would the Avid know which clips should be synced with which clips? You need to point them out. That said, I would like to see a feature implemented that will automatically subclip and AutoSync a sequence with synced subclips. So that when you sync up footage in a sequence, you can autosync all elements based on the shortest ends or common starts/ends, rather than manually sorting them out.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 24 2008 8:46 PM In reply to

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

Job ter Burg:

Codec Moment:
    share timecode. If they do, can multiple (seperate) elements be selected and automatically paired based on timecode?

Yes. AutoSync, choose Source TC ort Aux TC to sync.

Just to clarify, I dont mean selectng one video and the audio which goes with it (or secondary cameras which go with it). I'm asking if I can select a whole day's worth of shooting with time of day TC hit autosync once, and it'll sort everything out and make me clips?

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Avid Media Composer v6.0.1 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Nov 24 2008 10:39 PM In reply to

If both picture and sound have a common timecode (including shoot date), you can select all in a bin and instantly AutoSync dozens of clips in a single click. No selecting one by one. Since shoot date (if present) is seen by the Avid as part of the timecode, you can even sync up multiple shooting days.

However:

1. syncing based on TC - in my experience - is never accurate enough. Me and my assistants use Perf Slip to adjust each and every take to 1/4 frame on the sticks, even when the footage is shot with common TC. You need to be in a 35mm project to enable Perf Slip. I also used 35mm projects on HD shot films in order to get the Perf Slip feature.

2. for reasons I've never been able to figure out, some clips will cause AUTO_TC_TROUBLE, and abort the AutoSync process. So often you'll have to select some groups of footage, then track down the offending clips.

3. multicam shots with a single audioclip are not synced twice automatically, but will be grouped.

All in all, it will always take some managing time to get it done right. Fast experienced assistants can handle this relatively quickly, with or without timecode.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 24 2008 10:58 PM In reply to

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

How does slip perf work? I've seen the term before but dont know exatly what it does or how to set up/use it. Can you do it within a clip and keep it that way without going to the timeline?

As for non-TC based syncing, what have you found to be the fastest way to do it? That's what I normally work with.

• Mon, Nov 24 2008 11:02 PM In reply to

Codec Moment:
    How does slip perf work? Can you do it within a clip

You can only do it to a Synced clip, and only on the source side, not in the timeline.

Codec Moment:
    As for non-TC based syncing, what have you found to be the fastest way to do it?

I prefer to do it in a sequence, since I can oversee the entire rolls of dailies that way.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller