Latest post Thu, Nov 20 2008 10:53 PM by malefunktion. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 7:43 PM

Chroma Key in Avid Free DV?

Am finishing up an action/drama film with extensive SPFX in Free DV. It would really help if I could chroma key inside the program. I heard that this is possible with "Spectramatte" which seems to be a complex effect inside Media Composer or something.

Can Avid Free DV do chroma key, and if so, how do you do it/where is it?

And PLEASE, if you don't know the answer, don't give me some lame answer starting with "Well, Free DV was discontinued AGES ago..." I really don't want to hear it.

Thanks in advance! Chris of Colorado

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:05 PM In reply to

Re: Chroma Key in Avid Free DV?

Chris:

If it's there in Free DV, you'll find it in the effects palette (in the tools pulldown menu). Look for the group on the left of the palette named "key". That's where it will be. If you don't see it, you don't have that capability.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:06 PM In reply to

You can't do it in FreeDV.

FreeDV was discontinued AGES ago.

There are dozens of apps out there that can do keying for you- like After FX, Commotion, Boris, etc.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:20 PM In reply to

I would recommend After Effects as the most cost effective alternative.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 8:32 PM In reply to

.- And there was no Chroma Key of any kind in Avid Free DV, neither other effects but simple dissolves.

You couldn't even install third party FX of any kind in Avid Free DV.

So the answer is a firm NO.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 10:00 PM In reply to

Well, OK. Thanks for the replies. I'll try Jahshaka. I didn't mention, but I'm a freeware fanatic (interpret: I'm Broke) and Free DV is still the best free software around for most editing functions.

On the plus side, I posted at 12:43 and had 4 answers by 1:32! WOW! That's amazing. Other forums I've posted to aren't this active. THANKS A LOT! Anymore problems with Free DV, I know where to go.

Thanks! Chris

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 10:53 PM In reply to

chrisColorado:
    Well, OK. Thanks for the replies. I'll try Jahshaka. I didn't mention, but I'm a freeware fanatic (interpret: I'm Broke) and Free DV is still the best free software around for most editing functions.

I wouldn't touch Jahshaka with a barge pole. Honestly, their development has been stagnant for too long. Blender now has an excellent node-based system with built in keying tools so you could check that out.

There is also Cinegobs which is very flexible too. Wink

MSI Neo-2 Platinum Nforce3 Ultra (Bios Rev 1.0D) Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Overclocked to 2 x 2.4GHz) AMD Cool'N'Quiet CPU Throttling 2GB Corsair PC3200... [view my complete system specs]

"When the waters are at their calmest, that's when folk most want to skim their pebbles." - Me

"Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller